Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jimmy Flintstone 1954 Metro Van

One of many JF resin 'kits' I would like but shipping costs hinder progress. I bought this for my Christmas present this year. The 'kit' is a body shell an interior front to back and a long plate/chassis to mount the two axles on, plus a sheet of clear plastic for the windows. Included in the box was two radiator shells and two pairs of front and rear bumpers. They also sent a big of a  mixture of resin skulls and Hot Wheels cast logo's!

I had to raid various spares boxes for the interior and wheels/tyres, front and rear lights and marker lights, seats/steering column and steering wheel. I also left the drivers door window half open and added a windscreen wiper and sun visor/shade, rear drivers mirror and rear number plate. I cut out the closed resin rear windows and added rear window glass in those doors, and chequer plate on the rear bumper.

photo1-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo2-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

Edited by PatW

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

Your weathering is excellent! An Oregon license plate?

I got some of the same extras you mentioned when I got a Jimmy Flintstone product. The highlight was a bust of the Frankenstein monster. Had some fun painting it.

Yes Tony the only number plate I could find, and yes again I had the monster too. I'll have to do some heavy research to see what paints I need to use for that one! 

Beautiful build of a rare subject. I like those odd ball models . A shame these kind of subject are ignore by most manufacturers, thanks to resin caster though, we can enjoy some of it.

I like the used and abused treatment. Heller will soon release the Estafette fourgonette. I sure will get this one.

Looks great. As a child I remember these vans. One was "Eddie The Baker Man". He would drive his truck around the neighborhoods ringing his bell and selling loaves of breads and rolls. Also desserts like cookies, cupcake and breakfast pastries. 

4 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Patrick!

Really nice ensemble, and the weathering is superb. Bravo! 

Are those wheels the extras that came in a Maisto Dodge Challenger? Their shape and color look the part... Just curious.

CT 

No Claude the wheels are one of those custom packs. I took the chrome off with oven cleaner, painted them grey and just wiped the Molotow chrome pen around the rims.

On 11/1/2021 at 1:40 AM, happy grumpy said:

Beautiful build of a rare subject. I like those odd ball models . A shame these kind of subject are ignore by most manufacturers, thanks to resin caster though, we can enjoy some of it.

I like the used and abused treatment. Heller will soon release the Estafette fourgonette. I sure will get this one.

I bought a number of Heller kits and was on their forum, but as I couldn't speak French is was blocked! Our problem here is in the UK although Heller is in France/Holland most van kits are in excess of £40 plus shipping, OR buy them from various UK web shops at the higher price of perhaps £45! As a pensioner that's too much.