Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project x converted to ev

If this has already been posted then mods please delete. 

The most iconic 57 chevy has been converted to ev and imo ruined. Not sure what they were thinking but this was a terrible idea. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/features/project-x-57-chevy-ev-conversion/amp/

Edited by Scott8950

I'm not thrilled about it either. But, Project X has always changed with the technology over the years, so this really is the most logical step. But if my theory is correct, electric cars will be just a small blip on the history of the automobile. So I'm not going to get twisted over it. I think as electric cars become more common and the public realizes that the mining for battery materials becomes just as expensive and destructive to environments as oil drilling. Not to mention, the replacement costs of batteries, recycling, etc. will become a huge mess. I'm hoping something cleaner like hydrogen energy pops up at this point.

15 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

......electric cars will be just a small blip on the history of the automobile. 

Yes, just like that silly ol' horseless carriage that Henry Ford tried. Everybody said it would be just a fad too. 

Personally, I think it's great. Project X was always about trying new things, and that's what this is all about. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

A true gear head loves power but it's just a much about the sound a big cam with high compression, the smell of race gas and feel of the car. 

My contention exactly . Electric may be ( well,  has exhibited as being ) quicker --and maybe faster-- than an ICE-equivalent , but it does not  replicate the raw , animalistic sound , feel , and presence of 'dinosaur' fuelled engine . Period . Full-stop .

This does not  mean that I'm hating on E.V.s , it just means that I feel that there's room for both in our world . No need to de facto  phase-out ICEs , nor jeopardise classic vehicles thereof .

I am not against electric power, the current Ford drag cars, for example, are pretty cool.... But I don't think this was a good move for Project X. I also thought the last version was out of character too, with all the fancy finishing and GM backing. The original car was supposed to be an "every man" hot rod test bed. I can see why they did it I guess, but I think it has too much history being what it is to "ruin" it this way.......I guess they can always change it back. 

I think it's cool. As they said in the video, since the 60s this car has always been a test bed for new technology and new ideas. Going with an EV is just the latest step. And at some point in the future, that EV powertrain will get swapped out for something else. 

Looking forward to seeing video of it on the strip.

2 hours ago, Jantrix said:

But if my theory is correct, electric cars will be just a small blip on the history of the automobile. 

I suspect your theory is way off. EVs back in the 70s were a blip, but the current generation is here to stay. With governments around the world mandating the ban of internal combustion engines, plus manufacturers around the world committing to eliminating ICE within the next 10 years, this EV "fad" is not going away. As was previously hinted at, the switch from ICE to EV is as monumental is the switch from horse & buggy to the horseless carriage.

Better get used to it, because in a decade you won't be able to walk into a dealership and buy a new car with an ICE.

Call me old fashion, and you would be correct. In this case in my mind this is a very big mistake for this particular car. I realize that the electric car is going to be the future for now. My feeling is that Project X should be left as is for any future experimentation with an internal combustion engine only. The people involved with this build have the resources to start with a different car or truck and even a different '57 Chevrolet if that's what they want. I think the basic idea is sound and I think I understand what they are trying to put forward, but not with this car.  

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

My contention exactly . Electric may be ( well,  has exhibited as being ) quicker --and maybe faster-- than an ICE-equivalent , but it does not  replicate the raw , animalistic sound , feel , and presence of 'dinosaur' fuelled engine . Period . Full-stop .

This does not  mean that I'm hating on E.V.s , it just means that I feel that there's room for both in our world . No need to de facto  phase-out ICEs , nor jeopardise classic vehicles thereof .

Indeed. I recently attended a legally sanctioned "street drags" event, but had it been an event for glorified golf carts, no matter how quick and fast they were, I wouldn't have bothered...or wasted 3 days out of what remains of my life.

And the knee-jerk re-bleating insistence that electric vehicles will save the world is simply ludicrous. Electrics make perfect sense as a part of a rational mix of propulsion systems for surface vehicles, but REPLACING the entire global ICE fleet by force of mandate is one of the stupidest actions taken by humans to date.

Of course, all anyone needs to do to verify that decisions are no longer being made, and things are generally not being run, by smart, capable people, is to look at the global "chip shortage" and the "supply chain disruptions".

The idiocracy is upon us.

• Like 2

Quick question...if one of the model kit manufacturers offered a replica of the GM (or Ford, or aftermarket) "electric crate motor package" (in other words, everything needed to convert an older car or truck) as a parts pack, who would buy one?

26 minutes ago, Mark said:

Quick question...if one of the model kit manufacturers offered a replica of the GM (or Ford, or aftermarket) "electric crate motor package" (in other words, everything needed to convert an older car or truck) as a parts pack, who would buy one?

I wouldn't take it if it was offered for free.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mark said:

I would.

But I've already gone deep into modeling two extremely high-performance hybrids, one loosely based on the Jaguar C-X75 turbine/electric powertrain.

E-Type Jaguar supercar: 200mph electric hybrid with jet ...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And the knee-jerk re-bleating insistence that electric vehicles will save the world is simply ludicrous. 

Everyday forestry is cut down to build shopping malls, fast food restaurants, apartment buildings and strip malls!  Why? Because a drive across town to go to a mall or restaurant is an inconvenience now so we gotta have them on every corner. The electric car will not save the world. 

Rant over

Another very real consideration to peruse regarding the viability ( or , lack thereof ) of a nation of strictly E.V.s suspends one's limited purview : How well -- if at all-- will electric vehicles perform and survive in rural / desolate regions ?   Indicting myself in the following statement ; many of us view the entire E.V. proposal ( compulsory edict ? ) purely -- primarily-- through the spectacles of city dwellers . What may seem merely benign is truly malignant to what has got to be the majority of the nation : Midwest , Plains , etc. ; Alaska and Hawaii as well . 

Simply put : Impractical . 

E.V.s would be fine in urban / suburban reaches -- but an outright burden for those whom reside in the aforementioned regions . 

• Like 1

I think if we get to the point where carbon dioxide can be cheaply and reliably harvested from the air, and hydrocarbons can be manufactured on a mass scale as a result, then we’ll be able to stick with ICE vehicles, and please all sides of the argument. Synthetic gas will be a more efficient fuel than our current dinosaur wine (more bang for your buck), and environmentalists can can be at ease knowing that ICE vehicles will be pretty much carbon neutral. If that’s the case, then electric cars really could be a fad again, just like in the early 1900’s.