Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting holders

Were are you guys getting those stands that hold the car of truck body while you are painting them? I thought for sure I could pick one up at hobby lobby when I popped over there last weekend but couldn't find any. Is they're a good and a bad place to get them?

Most of the purchased holders used on the forum are from Tamiya

RC TOOLS Tamiya 74522 Paint Stand Set with Turntable & Clips for Airbrush  or Paintbrush Finished Models|Parts & Accessories| - AliExpress

From what I understand, the Tamiya stands are quite nice, though I've never used one. Most guys improvise some type of holder. Mine is fashioned from a wire coat hanger. It's pretty much what I've been using for the last 40 years. If I was home right now, I post a photo.

i have had mine fo many years...u can get them from...Amazon, eBay, Hobbylinc, Tower Hobbies, Tamyia sells them direct since its their stand...hobby lobby do sell them must have been out..just about any hobby shop will have them .. Amazon probably your cheapest.... https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiujMTFws_0AhWTK0wKHQThCl0YABALGgJvYQ&sig=AOD64_3Ed_WONCwdNmPxl5-m-A9ueLJwEQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjJ8LjFws_0AhWNl2oFHdj1AfkQ9aACegQIAhBH&adurl=

shopping.webp

Edited by yh70

Thats the one. I think my local hobby lobby is a victim of the supply chain. I'm tired of the old empty spray paint can with a piece of tape that ends up falling over and destroying my paintjob method. Those things look like just the thing I need.

We're not talking rocket science or precision instrument here.  I works, the base does slip out fairly easily  from  top part so when you carry it around with a model on it be sure to hold it from the base.  Oher than that it's a simple mechanism and works just fine.  I like mine.  Just my 2 cents here.

4 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Thats the one. I think my local hobby lobby is a victim of the supply chain. I'm tired of the old empty spray paint can with a piece of tape that ends up falling over and destroying my paintjob method. Those things look like just the thing I need.

I have one of these and I do like it. But be careful when tilting the body to spray the rockers. I dropped a pickup cab while doing this.   I just taped mine together, while other have put a screw in the stem to hold them together. 

The only problem with the Tamiya paint stands if you're as anal as I am, you'll be upset about them getting coated with paint. Cleaning primer from them is a bit of a challenge. The purple pond and metal is not a good combination.

11 hours ago, Monty said:

IIRC, the Tamiya holder is fairly well designed but I've read a number of reviews stating that they come apart fairly easily, especially when in use.  (apparently they're snap-fit)  Can anyone comment on that?

yes they will..they do not snap together they just slide together..i learned the hard way as i was painting a truck cab (with the smaller one) turned it upside down and it came apart..thats the only down fall. they should have made it snap together or screw together. but its a easy fix if u buy it (i love mine) glue it together with some super glue. thats what i used..no more problems....  now i only glued the small one that has the adjustable wire settings on top.. thats the one you gonna be turning upside down..

shopping.webp

I own two of these stands but found a better holding method. I CA glue a thick chunk of sprue right where a dome light would be. I then use a bamboo skewer with an alligator clip attached to it. I can the hold the body in any direction I want to paint it. I then can poke the skewer into the top of my paint booth or... a box full of corrigated cardboard chunks to help to quickly move on with painting other items. The pic below shows how it allows me to paint 4 bodies in less than 10 minutes.

IMG_1661.JPG

I've had bodies slip off the Tamiya stand before. I wrapped wire insulation around the metal where it contacts the car bodies. Helped some, but not enough. Now I just stick a small piece of tape over the metal and onto the inside if the body. 

I have one I made years ago like Greg's but a few years ago I bought one of the Tamiya ones and I like it a lot, I liked it so much I just ordered a second one so I can do more than one car and not have to take the first off the stand and it gives me a second parts holder as I got the set both times...

I have used the Tamiya paint stands for several years and I do like it, but for many years I would just use an old metal coat hanger twisted around to fit what ever I was painting. The draw back is that it is a little tippy unless you mount it to some sort of solid base and an old block of wood seems to work just fine. I have seen many here who use an old tall spray can and tape it to the headliner area in the body. A lot of great paint jobs done in this fashion. 

• Like 1

It's not the best but it works. It's heavy enough to be stable and the making tape holds the  odd pretty well. Most of us would recognize it for a black iron pipe 6" nipple with a base on one end and a cap on the other. Add enough masking tape to create a little cusion. It's not my idea but I've used it for years and IMG_20211208_112122.thumb.jpg.a63c8b96e519f613db729fb9d64672da.jpgit works for me (and I had all the stuff in my garage 🙂)

I wound up using an old pair of vise grips and a rubber glove (have a box of them for changing my oil and stuff). When you're finished, you can just lay it on the edge over a flat surface while it dries.  Just set the vice grips enough so that you don't crush your project. 😮

Edited by Mike C.