Model Cars Magazine Forum

*56 Ford Truck Pro Street*

Ok fella's....I've been wanting to try my hand at tubbing something out for a while and I think I found my Huckleberry.  Doesn't look like I'll have to cut into the chassis which is great for my first time.  I'm thinking it's just going to require cutting into the wheel well and into the bed and then making some tubes for the bed.  Once I get everything cut and modified I'll be stripping the body.  Not sure on a color as it's just to early in the game.  The one pic shows the look I'll be going for except the rear wheels will be tucked in the fenders.....hopefully. Maybe a straight axles under the front and make a Gasser.....just thinking out loud.  This will be a VERY slow process fells's.  All input and comment's are welcome.  

20211210_123520.jpg

20211210_124155.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Be very careful here. Sometimes seeing one really cool part like those wheelie bars can lead you down the proverbial " rabbit hole" on an extended build. Don't say you weren't warned.

Warning is duly noted.

12 hours ago, Zippi said:

Yup.....Gasser would be kewl.  I have a straight axle somewhere.

Ill be following along!

but I must interject, a gasser would not have that large of tire, they would also not be tucked under the fenders.  I know the subject has been beat to death everywhere, and Im not trying to discourage you from building what you want in any way. if the tires are tucked under and its tubbed, its a pro street pick up, if it also has a straight axle, its a straight axled pro street pick up.  I just grew up with my father being a 60s to early 70s Ford and Mercury drag race historian and stuff like that has been drummed into my head my whole life haha

1 minute ago, chris chabre said:

Ill be following along!

but I must interject, a gasser would not have that large of tire, they would also not be tucked under the fenders.  I know the subject has been beat to death everywhere, and Im not trying to discourage you from building what you want in any way. if the tires are tucked under and its tubbed, its a pro street pick up, if it also has a straight axle, its a straight axled pro street pick up.  I just grew up with my father being a 60s to early 70s Ford and Mercury drag race historian and stuff like that has been drummed into my head my whole life haha

Yup.  I was just thinking out loud.  As the title says "Pro Street".

I went out into the garage this morning to take the trash out and I had to do a little cutting.  So....I pulled out the Dremel with the 1 1/2" cutoff wheel and the sanding drum.  I made some rough cuts and it's looking like what I was wanting.  Still need to clean up the cuts but I'm getting excited about this now.  

20211211_084211.jpg

20211211_083734.jpg

20211211_083744.jpg

20211211_085207.jpg

20211211_085152.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Yup.  I was just thinking out loud.  As the title says "Pro Street".

one of my favorites is Danny Shafer's 1956 Ford F-100. It was the centerfold of Hot Rod magazine in August of 1990. They updated it at some point and it lost the original appeal for me.  Your mock up makes me want to do some cutting myself haha

Edited by chris chabre

I was going to suggest widening the rear fenders, but a little late for that. The rear wheel tubs into the bed you might see if you have any old prescription plastic bottles around, they can be cut to length and make perfect wheel tubs.  

4 minutes ago, espo said:

I was going to suggest widening the rear fenders, but a little late for that. The rear wheel tubs into the bed you might see if you have any old prescription plastic bottles around, they can be cut to length and make perfect wheel tubs.  

That's what I was thinking about Dave.  I saw some pics of the pill bottleS used as tubes but can't remember where I saw it.  

6 minutes ago, Zippi said:

That's what I was thinking about Dave.  I saw some pics of the pill bottleS used as tubes but can't remember where I saw it.  

They come in several diameters and even an Asprin bottle can be used depending on what will fit your tires. I just cut them in half length wise and the bottom serves as the inner splash panel.  You should have plenty of width to work with and just cut to fit. They do seem to require a little extra primer before they will hold paint like the rest of your kits body, but this can depend on the type of plastic in the pill bottle. 

2 minutes ago, espo said:

They come in several diameters and even an Asprin bottle can be used depending on what will fit your tires. I just cut them in half length wise and the bottom serves as the inner splash panel.  You should have plenty of width to work with and just cut to fit. They do seem to require a little extra primer before they will hold paint like the rest of your kits body, but this can depend on the type of plastic in the pill bottle. 

Thanks for the info Dave.  I found a couple pics I saved some time back.  Just thought it was a neat idea not knowing I would be doing it myself.

20170526_083652.jpg

20170527_145437.jpg

• Like 1

Now you've done it! Once you start hacking away at plastic you'll want to do it on everything. You can always make things better or cooler if you just cut a little here or there. Welcome to the rabbit hole, and have fun cutting your way out of it.😁 Oh ya, great job, have fun, it's going to look killer!

Bob !!! That second mock up photo is killer. Love that you diving in to this. You’re on the right track with pill bottles for inner tubs. Plastic lids from other household, (or your wife’s makeup?) products could be a source too. One of the tips I learned somewhere on this forum that I would recommend… For gluing the tubs, use a mixture of CA glue, and styrene cement. This gives you some working time to get things lined up, then creates an extremely strong bond. I use this often in my builds. I am definitely watching this one. Have fun with it.

You’ve got me fired up!!

Cheers, Steve

6 hours ago, Zippi said:

I went out into the garage this morning to take the trash out and I had to do a little cutting.  So....I pulled out the Dremel with the 1 1/2" cutoff wheel and the sanding drum.  I made some rough cuts and it's looking like what I was wanting.  Still need to clean up the cuts but I'm getting excited about this now.  

I think you’re on the right track with it now Bob! I like the idea of leaving the fenders stock so that it looks semi-original from a distance.

19 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I think you’re on the right track with it now Bob! I like the idea of leaving the fenders stock so that it looks semi-original from a distance.

Thank's Greg.  Yeah that's the look I like.  I have a 49 Chevy restomod 1:1 and it still looks like a 49 from the outside but driving as like a new truck.

Edited by Zippi

10 hours ago, cobraman said:

Cool project and I will be checking in. As we all know when it comes to mods it is impossible to do just one.

I know what you mean Ray.  I already have some idea's rolling around in my head.