Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '66 Malibu SS 2 'n 1

Casey

2 hours ago, alexis said:

I hope it has both the Blower and Tunnel Ram intake set ups. Looks like only one choice of wheels.

From previous exams of the kit parts, only the Non-chrome trees will be run as options. The Chrome tree will be whatever it was when it was last run.  Really sad. Choice of Wheels is almost standard as the price of Entry into the ranks of an "Official 2'n'1 Kit", these days. 2 hoods scoops and alternate seats?

Try Again, Revell! You missed the target this time.

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Those slotted mags are SO missed. I could use a couple sets myself. They wouldn't even need to plate them, I can spray aluminum finish!

Yup.  Including the slotted mags would be the one thing to get me to pry my wallet open for one of these.

First they can't find the stock S-10 drive train parts, and now it seems like the "Street Rat" chrome tree is MIA. (assumption on my part, but you would think they would include those parts if they could)

Hope this pattern doesn't continue.

Those slotted mags everyone is going nuts about ,, aren't they exactly the same ones in the "Early Iron" series '36, '32, 34 Fords, and last seen in the '29 roadster pickup in the '90s? ,, Oh, and the Tom Daniels Street Vette?

I've never had the kit so I don't have one to compare.

Nice wheels but they don't seem to be that hard to come by.

Maybe you should get some in latex, Casey?

Edited by Can-Con

26 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Those slotted mags everyone is going nuts about ,, aren't they exactly the same ones in the "Early Iron" series '36, '32, 34 Fords, and last seen in the '29 roadster pickup in the '90s? ,, Oh, and the Tom Daniels Street Vette?

I've never had the kit so I don't have one to compare.

I never had the red version either, but the mags sure do look like the ones in the Early Iron kits and the Monogram '55 Chevy street machine (black version of the Badman). 

51 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

No, this (the Street Rat version, to be accurate) is the only kit they have ever appeared in. Unfortunately, my guess is they are long gone, never to appear again.

Been going strong for a decade now. One of my all-time favorite kit wheels. 🥰

Not super rare nor obscure, as Monogram made plenty of these kits. Finding a mint, undamaged set still attached to the runners is something I would love to find, but likely never will. Good, useable wheels are still out there, though.

The most recent image of the two versions built up was an ominous sign for the 5-slots, and now I am convinced we've seen the last of them:

10849290b.jpg.3c8c2ae033ec9ae5f62455e6960cba1f.jpg

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Harder than they should be! I traded for 4 separate glue-bomb '66 Chevelle kits just last year, 2 black and 2 red, along with quite a bit of extra parts, and not one of those slotted wheels was present! I think the Early Iron series had wheels that more closely resembled the old "Chrome Slots" that were a chrome plated steel wheel, whereas the ones from the Chevelle represented genuine "aluminum slots" (as we called them then). They are much thicker in the center, obviously. Also, those Early Iron series are getting pricey these days too!

On 12/30/2021 at 6:26 PM, Snake45 said:

I send up a special prayer for all those who will buy and subsequently attempt to actually build this wretched backbirth. ;)

I think, just by sheer numbers of partsbox refugees I've encountered, just about everybody has!

On 12/31/2021 at 12:01 PM, Painted Black said:

That box art paint job does nothing to help sell this kit, but I know whats inside and will buy one for my 24 collection.

I actually think the illustration of the car looks pretty good. Not a fan of the graphics, but it looks better than the kit could ever hope to.

I just wish that Revell would clean up the grille to look like the box art, that would go a long way to improving the kit!

On 12/31/2021 at 8:50 PM, Casey said:

Whaaaat? Better wheels?!! That's the lone saving grace of this kit! The 16" 5-slot wheels.

Those wheels are the best representation of deep dish kidney beans in kit form. They probably get more sales than the car does! I do hope they're in this issue.

16 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Harder than they should be! I traded for 4 separate glue-bomb '66 Chevelle kits just last year, 2 black and 2 red, along with quite a bit of extra parts, and not one of those slotted wheels was present! I think the Early Iron series had wheels that more closely resembled the old "Chrome Slots" that were a chrome plated steel wheel, whereas the ones from the Chevelle represented genuine "aluminum slots" (as we called them then). They are much thicker in the center, obviously. Also, those Early Iron series are getting pricey these days too!

Those stamped steel slots are only in the '30 Phaeton, the others are the aluminum style. The Steel ones are also in the Beer Wagon.

But, like I said, I don't have a set to compare to the ones in the hot rod kits. But, looking at the poor pics of the red '66 I can find, the slots in those wheels do look slightly bigger.

Too bad to loose them. I guess there must only be enough room for one set of wheels on the chrome tree.

• Thanks 1

YES! I'm soo happy about this release. I've been trying to find a decent kit for a while now, with no luck. Yes, this kit is a bit dated and rough. But it was a favorite when I was a kid and I had both versions sitting on my dresser in 1987. One with the flip hood glued open and the other with the hood glued closed. 😆 I'm a bit better at this stuff now than I was then and I'm pretty certain I can make something out of it that will make me smile. @Casey thanks for the good news! You made my day. 

As for the parts issues, I have plenty of old Monogram kits including the aforementioned '30 Phaeton that might round out the options for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 7:00 PM, 1972coronet said:

We all know how rare it was for Monogram to include a set of Cragar S/ST's or Centerlines in their kits. Very hard to find -- good thing they 'lost' the wheels from the Street Rat  edition, as I could always use a set of those rare 1/24 scale S/ST's! 

I like the S/ST and think they are the best 1/24 scale representation of  S/STs. They might be the only one though. While I don't really care for slots I don't like to see the  loss of anything. Wheels aside this kit is a great source  of 1/24 scale Chev big block speed parts. It has a side sump oil pan, Motion (tm) valve covers, a pretty nice tunnel ram and a Lakewood style scattershield. All pretty rare in 1/25 scale never mind 1/24. I am pretty glad it's back,  I'll buy a couple. The only thing I can't remember is if that style of pan was a road race item.  Anyone? Google?  

Edited by monza77
forgot a word
  • Like 1

FWIW, I found these on Ebay, 1/24 resin cast. I am pretty sure they are the slots from the '66 Malibu. The seller's name is forward_resin. 

I have no connection at all, but I have bought a number of items and they are good quality, and the service was very good. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, larman said:

FWIW, I found these on Ebay, 1/24 resin cast. I am pretty sure they are the slots from the '66 Malibu. The seller's name is forward_resin. 

I have no connection at all, but I have bought a number of items and they are good quality, and the service was very good. 

s-l1600.jpg

I got a set of those in the mail today to use on the Chevelle reissue.  IIRC, forward_resin is MCM's Casey.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, monza77 said:

It has a side sump oil pan

Unfortunately, it's molded as one with the engine block halves. 

I agree the ribbed "SS 427" valve covers are nice, and the scattershield is very useable, too. The ladder bars, side pipes, and separate ribbed differential cover are all good street machine style parts which are great for kitbashing.

11 hours ago, monza77 said:

I like the S/ST and think they are the best 1/24 scale representation of  S/STs. They might be the only one though. 

I can't recall if these are the 1/24 S/ST wheels with the tiny bolt pattern (looks like a 5x4") or not. The ET-X wheels found (only) in the Monogram Corvette SS Hatchback work with these tires, too, as do plenty of other Monogram kit wheels from the '80s.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

I agree the ribbed "SS 427" valve covers are nice, and the scattershield is very useable, too. The ladder bars, side pipes, and separate ribbed differential cover are all good street machine style parts which are great for kitbashing.

I can't recall if these are the 1/24 S/ST wheels with the tiny bolt pattern (looks like a 5x4") or not. The ET-X wheels found (only) in the Monogram Corvette SS Hatchback work with these tires, too, as do plenty of other Monogram kit wheels from the '80s.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes, it's too bad it is molded with the block and if I remember correctly, the pan had such a draft angle that I think I ran out of material trying to level it. It almost looked like a core shift.  I forgot about the diff cover and never thought about the wheel pattern at the time. The oilpan is a road race item so its funny it is on a drag race engine. I want to look at the engine again to kitbash with various Monogram Corvettes to make some Greenwood IMSA cars. 

Edited by monza77
misspell

On 3/10/2022 at 8:25 PM, larman said:

s-l1600.jpg

How many of the 69 Camaro street machines do you think they'd sell if they put these wheels in the kit instead of the mismatched Motorwheel Fly's it has in it now?

20220311_235402.png.88015d84d9adee7fd0164386d2f4b1a4.png

How hard would it be for Revell to include a separate tree with these wheels on it? If Round 2 can do it....?

If they don't include them with this issue, then what is it that will make this a 2n1 kit? Decals do not a multi-version kit make. AFAIK, the wheels were the only variation between the two kits.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

How many of the 69 Camaro street machines do you think they'd sell if they put these wheels in the kit instead of the mismatched Motorwheel Fly's it has in it now?

The way I see it, the Flys and Spyders should be in the '66 Chevelle, and that godawful Body By Palmer '69 Camaro should have its tooling sent to a scrap yard.