Model Cars Magazine Forum

Now that the WC projects are done I've started a new project to build an M-715 pickup from the '60's.  The Jeep Honcho kit is the donor for the frame and front end.  It turns out that the frame is 10" too short so it will have to be lengthened.  The body is military style and the fender openings are just sheet metal.  No fancy grill either on front.  Just the typical military grill guard.  Here's where we are so far.

1002.JPG.1adf386fa7a55210869d4cddad6dffad.JPG

Cab top has been cut loose and a piece of sheet stock is glued to the back.   The Honcho body was one with the cab so the cab had no back panel.  Now it does.  The cowl has been modified and the new windshield has been cut to shape.  The part in the middle will be cut away leaving a very thin edge for the windshield glass to fit against.

1004.JPG.f4758a3d0a16fe07ee6121a01f6eb16a.JPG

Not a good picture but you get the idea of the windshield rubber gasket.  Made of 0.020 sheet stock rounded at the outside edges.  When the middle is cut away the inner edge will be rounded as well.  After painting, a black marker will be run around the gasket.  Better than paint as the line can be made very smooth with the marker.

1005.JPG.dfc5406eb5c879af5dc542f13eee95e0.JPG

Windshield is cut open and mounted.  The old rear view mirror mounting holes have been plugged.  The mirrors for the build are on a single mount.  The fenders are strips of 0.020 stock glued in place.  I'll cut away those awful door latches as well and substitute some resin castings that are open.

Very cool project. The fire department in Lucketts, VA used to have one as a brush truck. It was awesome. I haven't seen it in years; the city quit holding their annual fair and I don't get out that way much anymore. I'm assuming this build will be a military version.

Good luck. I'll be following along.

Nice work so far! Looking at the 1:1 photos, these were pretty primitive mods to the stock pickup, yours are likely to look better than factory! 

Always liked these military pickups, having seen later GMC versions, I recall hearing them called 'Milverados', LOL

Thanks for the building tips, too

I've compared the military spec for the M-715 wheelbase and found that the Honcho kit wheelbase is 10" too short.  I had to cut the frame and lengthen it with a splice on each side.  Glue is drying now.  When it's done pics will be posted.    That's the military box on back.  Even at this angle you can see that the rear axle is not under the center of the opening.1007.JPG.6041c10357a1bbd5ad89a99fe03fde86.JPG

2 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

I've compared the military spec for the M-715 wheelbase and found that the Honcho kit wheelbase is 10" too short.  I had to cut the frame and lengthen it with a splice on each side.  Glue is drying now.  When it's done pics will be posted.    That's the military box on back.  Even at this angle you can see that the rear axle is not under the center of the opening.

Measure those rear springs too Charles. I think they scale out to nearly six feet long.😬

On 1/9/2022 at 7:28 PM, NOBLNG said:

Measure those rear springs too Charles. I think they scale out to nearly six feet long.😬

Unfortunately, Greg I don't have a full workup on the specs so you are probably right.  It won't affect the wheel base, though so I will stick with what I have.  Here is the latest.  The body is on the lengthened frame. and a couple of details added to the windshield.1011.JPG.2b25addd7f22bace033b3ae3f090f249.JPG

1012.JPG.f1199c36347e298ba4161afdc432b480.JPG

11 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Looking great Charlie! Those are neat trucks. The 230 CI OHC 6 cyl. Tornado engines in them were problematic. Had one in a 1965 civilian Wagoneer panel van...........was a dog from day one! You have already nailed the look with those fenders. Beautiful!

I hear ya, Tom.  Our local FD had one that they turned into a brush truck.  They changed out the Tornado for a Chevy V-8 but kept the 4 spd transmission.

My compliments on the precise cutting and assembly, lots of little pieces to that box! The compartment is an interesting little detail, built right into the box, for a tool kit maybe

By coincidence, I just fnished my latest Jeep build last week (have started a few kits but never seem to get too far), this was  a Christmas present…

F2B71377-0E00-442F-B862-EC9E28A1AF17.jpeg

I had an M-43 Ambulance. That Straight 6 Dodge Flathead was rated (according to the tag) at 37 HP. 

The Jeep Pick up must have had similar issues. Mine Had Gobs of torque, but was geared so low, that 40 mph was the fastest I could get on the hiway.

I have always wanted an M-715. Glad to see your work on this one, Charles.

Thanks, Alan.  The M-715 had the Jeep Tornado OHC 6 cylinder engine.  Was not much on power or speed.  Our local FD had an M-715 built into a brush unit and the changed out the Tornado for a Chevy V-8 and kept the four speed transmission.

Here's what the tailgate now looks like with some hardware added.

1020.thumb.JPG.2488414270aa4a539233aa05d709e944.JPG1021.thumb.JPG.83b5b28856c0751a1f7e946a541ed848.JPG1022.thumb.JPG.5c0383473bd8d7dfd1b363620e06486a.JPG

Got some casting done today.  Tires and wheels are the same as on the WC projects I worked on.  So 4 more mud/snow non-directional tires were cast along with the wheels.  I need to change the lugs from 5 to 6 but that is no problem using some wire and some ceramic hex nuts.

1023.thumb.JPG.e85bc405d07e218ca593155b79395aee.JPG

With those done the rear axles were set up for the inner wheel pieces.  The Honcho kit wheels snap on a very flimsy plastic axle stub which I never liked.  So a piece of 1/8" diameter brass tubing was slipped over the outer portion of the axle and the center was drilled out for a small screw and washer.  The inner wheels were opened up for a bushing that slips over the brass axle.  The screw and washer act as a retainer for the wheel so that it will not slide off the axle.  The outer wheel will be glued on after all painting is competed.

1029.thumb.JPG.f16448f73d3a7ee3e1c307082778ff24.JPG

1028.thumb.JPG.be1c9a136083ffeab44afa15b9010aaf.JPG