Model Cars Magazine Forum

Knafel Pontiac's 67 Acadian "Tin Indian"

59 Impala

I got the last “Tin Indian” finished last night. This is the Acadian car that they ran in 1967. The body is the 66 Nova 2dr sedan converted to a 67 Acadian. Scratch built tail lights, resin grill made from the 65 GTO with the parking lights. Printed Acadian decals for the front and rear. Moved the backup lights to the rear bumper. Converted the trunk emblem to the Acadian emblem and added a piece of guitar string to the emblem. The decals are not perfect, but I used what I had. I’m not sure if anyone makes the correct ones or not. The hood scoop is from the parts box. I also made the side windows and used the glass from the Nova kit. This was a challenge but I’m happy how it turned out.

IMG_1928.JPG.22ee8cf15b7437e1fc8b2f2eef989ce8.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG.04a665386ffe43f9d2fbe421c2c38ecf.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG.cd0b942bc0a3564cec3d4e06e875e780.JPG

IMG_1933.JPG.36788db6f19eb17bd742e70fefe05470.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG.dc766b28eda4d603cabfc26550ebe3d3.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG.cc6f9418fd1ad5b742eec1c5cc6fdc12.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG.1efb911f2a322d75444edbb002681fc4.JPG

• Like 4

Thanks guys.  There isn't much information on the net about this car and the 4 pictures that I had was all that I had to go on, and they aren't very good at that.  The resin body didn't cause much of a problem but the rear glass that came with it was useless.  Poor vacuum formed. I was able to use both the windshield and the rear glass from the Nova kit.

Excellent job kit-bashing this resin body with the AMT Nova. I love any and all of the 60’s stockers/SS-er’s/ FX-er’s and this is one I never knew existed among Knafel’s Tin Indians. You were right about background info on this car - no official reference info that I could find. All I ran across was speculation in a Yenko car forum that the Acadian was used by Knafel because he could install a 427 Chevy and qualify as “modified stock” in some racing series (NASCAR? AHRA?) because all of the Canadian GM cars in ‘67 used Chevy blocks….hopefully someone else here can confirm or shoot down this rumor.

BTW, did you include an engine in this build and was it a BBC?

Hi Dan, this is a fantastic build. Great to see someone build an Acadian. I have a 1:1 ‘67 Pontiac Beaumont that I intend to do a replica of one day. Just waiting for my modelling skills to improve a bit so I can do it justice. Your build is fantastic, great idea to print decals for the Acadian logos.

Cheers, Steve