Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yellow Fever Competition Coupe, Keeler's Kustoms

stavanzer

On 6/11/2022 at 5:25 PM, stavanzer said:

My only gripe is that it needs a better engine. Neither of the two in the kit, make any sense. The Big Fords were rare, and the Caddy was not used much either. It really needed the Hemi, and Atlantis seems to have planned for one, at one point. But, this is a small issue, really and there are Hemi Motors out there for the folks it bothers,

On 6/11/2022 at 5:46 PM, Mark said:

Cadillac engines were used in the late Fifties and early Sixties.  The Ford would be borderline for this particular car, as the chassis design would have been going out as the Ford engine came in.  There is one error on the Ford engine, the rear mounting position for the magneto with the supercharged version.

...a high-revving, lightweight small-block Chevy.  Atlantis already put one in the Mooneyes dragster kit, they probably didn't want to put too many of the same parts in the first two kits based on parts packs.  That engine has a crank drive blower anyway.  The other parts pack Chevy engine is in the Atlantis '57 Chevy kit, and includes the conventional top mount blower setup.  Since all the Revell Chevy engines from back then interchange with one another, one of those with the blower setup would be right for the Fiat.  If you really want a Chrysler, the Studebaker funny car kit has the one that used to be in a parts pack.

On 6/11/2022 at 9:41 PM, Mark said:

The Cad engine would work.  George Montgomery used one in his '33 Willys up until '63 or so.  The instructions suggest using the four-speed transmission from the Ford engine pack; however, there is an in/out box on the Cad engine parts tree.

On 6/12/2022 at 8:22 PM, RancheroSteve said:

Thanks for the H.A.M.B. thread Steve.  Always enjoy seeing all the different twists from back in the day that started with the same basic body shell.

Regarding the Caddy engine, there have been at least a couple.  From the above thread:

image.png.472bfdff940528d1807568d487130f0d.png

Obviously street driven currently.  According to the caption, the one on the bottom was apparently Cad powered back in the day.  (Dig that nose treatment)

Scan.jpg

Edited by Robberbaron

• 3 weeks later...

Picked one of these up the other day at my LHS.  Really just for the bonanza of parts.

I will admit that I'm slightly tempted to not part it out, so I could attempt to build this.

Found pics on the H.A.M.B.  Never seen pics of this car before, but it was local to my area.  Incidentally, Van Senus still exists and is one of the few remaining "old school" auto parts stores still in our area.

Calumet Auto Parts Fiat.JPG

UNKNOWN 2.jpg

van senus auto parts.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Picked one of these up the other day at my LHS.  Really just for the bonanza of parts.

I will admit that I'm slightly tempted to not part it out, so I could attempt to build this.

Found pics on the H.A.M.B.  Never seen pics of this car before, but it was local to my area.  Incidentally, Van Senus still exists and is one of the few remaining "old school" auto parts stores still in our area.

Calumet Auto Parts Fiat.JPG

Huh!  That's cool!  My wife lived in Hammond - I wonder if that pic was taken at the old US 30 strip?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 12:38 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Those are my two favorite sources for early hemis. They are gorgeous!

But, hard to get one of those kits just for the engine.

I think I'll try the optional Hemi from the Round2 '63 Chevy Wagon. Despite being AMT Tooling, not Revell, I am hoping it will be a drop fit.

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

Even the Revell engines aren't a drop-in fit.  These parts packs were designed to work together to an extent, but some finessing will be necessary to get everything to look just right.

So, I'll just go into the project, knowing that I have to fettle things together.

Thanks, Mark.

• 1 month later...