Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

19 hours ago, SteveG said:

I guess your handle makes that clear enough.   Like this post if you agree we should do a 71 and or 72 Roadrunner soon. 

-Steve 

Steve,

I'd like to see the 68-69 Torino/Cobra and the 67-68 Cougar brought back.

Also, a 68-69 Cyclone would be very cool!

Thx, Ron

C9OZ-CV.PNG.00e287fe4fe3dae85e38d51d9bc4727b.PNG

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Stef said:

MOPAR MADNESS:

Would love to see the 71/72 RR/GTX return

Also please bring back the 74 Super Charger!

And 74 Cuda Pro Street!

575899-16114-27-pristine-4149544350.jpg

MPC-6333-2T-3758332056.jpg

Have the 'Cuda, (in both Blue and Orange Plastic) and I had the Super Charger (twice).

I also have one of the Yellow '87 Issues of the Road Runner. (Purchased by me in '87 simply because, at the time that was the only "Winged Wonder" kit I could find in the LHS) I wanted a Superbird, and before swap meets and eBay, that was the only kit I could find. Glad I kept it.

Stef is Right, all three of these kits would be Barn Burners. The Target Market for these is now retiring (or retired) and have the Time, Money, and inclination to buy them. (sometimes in quantity). And, as the hit the shelves, younger generations will like them too. (at least some of them). I've noticed a few younger modelers who are beginning to connect Dodge Challengers, Hellcats, and Chargers, to their historic roots. And, when they do, they go looking for kits of the historic vehicles that gave rise to their modern incarnations. So, I believe that there may exist a market that is larger than it appears at first glance.

One of the keys to selling these re-issues is to keep doing exactly what was done on the '68 Coronet. Use the Original Box Art. It worked for many re-issues, and would work here. My suggestion for the Two Kits Stef shows, would be to use the 1980's Art Work. Especially the Supercharger. That Art Work sold that kit (Twice) and will do so again.

Thanks, Steve Goldman for asking us what we think. (and for listening to us, too)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, SteveG said:

I guess your handle makes that clear enough.   Like this post if you agree we should do a 71 and or 72 Roadrunner soon. 

-Steve 

Yes, please clone the '71/72 Road Runner! I want to build it stock and with the Winged Nose!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fairlane1320 said:

Steve,

I'd like to see the 68-69 Torino/Cobra and the 67-68 Cougar brought back.

Also, a 68-69 Cyclone would be very cool!

Thx, Ron

C9OZ-CV.PNG.00e287fe4fe3dae85e38d51d9bc4727b.PNG

Hey hey hey!  One car at a time here!

LOL

;)😜😆

Edited by drksd4848
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Hmm...  I could tell you that my parents real life '72 RR had the exact door trim in the picture,

The door cards changed patterns for 1972. Having only seen a small handful of 1972 R.R.'s (and Satellite coupes/hardtops) in person, I seem to recall that their upper-portion of the door cards pattern was close-but-unique vs. the 1971 uppers. 

72_Satellite0010.jpg

HA HA! Take this! ;):)

Referring the picture below, my parents had the black door panel on the left (notice the wider pattern than on the blue), with the beige bench seats on the right, only in black.  I will say, I have seen those blue bench seats on Road Runners before, and I believe you are right, those were standard.

b_1972 Plymouth Satellite-12-13.jpg

Edited by drksd4848
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stavanzer said:

My suggestion for the Two Kits Stef shows, would be to use the 1980's Art Work. Especially the Supercharger. That Art Work sold that kit (Twice) and will do so again.

Thanks, Steve Goldman for asking us what we think. (and for listening to us, too)

Agree 128%, @stavanzer, and thank you for your kind words! Like you, I also have a mega soft spot for old box art, particularly early 80s MPC stuff, and I am OVERJOYED each time to purchase retro MPC box art: Bad Company, Mount N Goat, the upcoming Sod Buster and Bronco reissues, and squillions more.

As for Supercharger, Round 2 has quite a few options for how to bring it back: Craftsman Plus style, and/or leveraging underpinnings from their new 68 Coronet, or existing 71 Charger.

Nostalgia is alive and well, and thank you Steve, Chad, and everyone at Round 2 for giving us a new golden age of modelling!

Could not be happier, thanks.

• Like 1

Don't know if you guys know this or not but when they brought the "Super Cherger" back from being a race car, they didn't restore the wheel openings properly. 

There should be a bevel around then that was on the original annual kit but not now on the super Charger.

I think you can see plainly what I mean in this pic. That bevel isn't on the kit now, just flat right to the opening.

Autograf | 1974 DODGE CHARGER for sale

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Don't know if you guys know this or not but when they brought the "Super Cherger" back from being a race car, they didn't restore the wheel openings properly. 

There should be a bevel around then that was on the original annual kit but not now on the super Charger.

I think you can see plainly what I mean in this pic. That bevel isn't on the kit now, just flat right to the opening.

Autograf | 1974 DODGE CHARGER for sale

Good eye, @Can-Con. I've not seen a Super Charger since about 1985-86, though judging from the box art alone, wheel openings confirmed. In fact, I now see there are three little racing strap clip thingies along the top edge of the windshield, though I don't remember whether they were present on the actual body. Lastly, the box art does NOT show the front bumperette thingies, though I'd swear the actual kit does have them molded in with the grille. Can anyone confirm?

Me personally, I don't mind any of these anomalies; I'd happily give both kidneys for a sealed original, or a contemporary clone/copy, warts and all.

So sorry about the derail!

Looking forward to HPI Guy's 68 Coronet build; apparently it's coming out tomorrow (Wednesday). Gonna buy a case of these things.

newitem-20417.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Alright, couple of questions:

1. How did you do the chrome moldings around the wheel wells?  I always felt that those wheel molding made the car. My parents RR had them.

2. Where did you get the side view mirrors?  (If I remember correctly, those kits never came with them, (or at least the '87 reissue didn't)

Oh, and... BEAUTIFUL WORK!

Thanks!  The wheel lip moldings are BareMetal Foil, cut to shape.   The mirrors on the GreenGo/Sassy Grass Green '71 were, from I think, the Monogram 1970 Challenger T/A kit.  

Best....TB

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Stef said:

Good eye, @Can-Con. I've not seen a Super Charger since about 1985-86, though judging from the box art alone, wheel openings confirmed. In fact, I now see there are three little racing strap clip thingies along the top edge of the windshield, though I don't remember whether they were present on the actual body. Lastly, the box art does NOT show the front bumperette thingies, though I'd swear the actual kit does have them molded in with the grille. Can anyone confirm?

Me personally, I don't mind any of these anomalies; I'd happily give both kidneys for a sealed original, or a contemporary clone/copy, warts and all.

Looking forward to HPI Guy's 68 Coronet build; apparently it's coming out tomorrow (Wednesday). Gonna buy a case of these things.

The Super Charger also still has the fuel filler cap on the driver's side quarter. The front bumper has the bumper guards present on the model, but at the rear they are missing. The annual kit had them on both bumpers. Another difference between annual and Super Charger is the hood. The annual has the standard flat hood, the Super Charger a bulge hood. The latter one would be correct for a Rallye Charger. The annual flat hood has cowl vents for 1971/72, though. For 73 they should be fewer and shifted to the outside of the hood (like on the Super Charger's bulge hood), for 74 they should be completely gone. The vent arrangement is the same for standard or bulge hood for each corresponding year. I hope that wasn't too confusing... 🙃

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stef said:

newitem-20417.jpg

I'll check the front bumper on mine later Stef and get back. Pretty sure the windshield clips are not on the body.

Meanwhile, here's a couple pics of my unfinished '74 annual. I added the 1/2 vinyl top.

154 5420

154 5421

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, keyser said:

One car at a time. Lol. In the 68 Coronet now 71-2 thread. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah, I know… I hate it when people hi-jack a thread about one car and make it into anoth….Oh wait… umm…😮

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Xingu said:

Lets try and stay on topic please. Hate to start hiding posts that continue to jump the rails. Go to General and start a new thread if you want to go in a different direction.

Anyway… uh… sure am glad they brought back that Coronet 😇

Yeah, pile me on, too.  I don't dislike the Monogram Satellite, but its greenhouse has always seemed just a little squashed and the grille, that wee bit tall.  I've either never had the MPC or it's been years, but it sure seems better overall in pics.

Meantime, I'm scoping out the online auction sites for this '68 like "where IS it, WHEREIZZIIIIIIIT..."

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
topic correction
  • Like 1