Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible.

Wow Steve!

I take a couple of weeks off and come back to this amazing bit of work. 

Beautiful chassis detail, everything looks so real. The funny thing is that even as "dirty" as the bottom of that car is, given its age, it would be considered "clean" if the car were real. :D

David G.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Slotto said:

Outstanding job.

10 minutes ago, customline said:

Wow Steven, your time was well spent!  Real nice handles/cranks.  It's worth it for this one; this ragtop Poncho is to die for. I love everything about it. Keep it coming!

4 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Beautiful work.

Thank you guys!

I was originally going to just cast some window cranks in resin, but I do love a little scratch building, and you can't learn to do something unless you try it.

I got the basic premise from Greg, (NOBLNG) and thought it looked like a great idea to build upon, so I thought I'd take his idea and run with it.

Turning out pretty well.

I just wish that I didn't have to do 8 of them! :P

Steve

On 6/15/2023 at 6:52 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I just wish that I didn't have to do 8 of them! :P

Did you ever try the trick with using Silly Putty to make a mold and then drip a little resin in there?  

I’ve done that for small parts like this before and it worked like a charm 

15 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Did you ever try the trick with using Silly Putty to make a mold and then drip a little resin in there?  

I’ve done that for small parts like this before and it worked like a charm 

Yes, I’ve cast parts like this before, but this time I wanted to try a different approach.

The issue is that I still would have had to make 4 pieces from scratch anyway, as their are 2 each of front, rear and vent window cranks, (all slightly different sizes) and 2 door handles. I figured I just as well go ahead and make them all from styrene.

Steve

• Like 1

Still working away on the little stuff, and I believe I have my last batch of parts ready for Alclad chrome.

I added a little more detail to the window cranks and door handles and got them and the exterior door handles pinned, got the door lock buttons underway and the base for the radio antenna finished, and am finishing up on getting the headlight reflectors finished up.

Getting closer to final assembly, albeit slowly.

Summer is a lot tougher season to find time to dedicate to the shop. -_-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 1

Got the Alclad on the interior parts, as well as the remaining small exterior pieces this morning.

Honestly, I still don't understand why the feverish search for alternatives still continues when Alclad has been under our noses for years.

I don't see any reason at all to look for another "chrome paint".

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Everything is looking great Steven, including those window cranks and door handles. As I said in my thread, I am honoured to be an inspiration to a man of your talents, and/or  anyone else on here for for that matter!😎

Edited by NOBLNG