Model Cars Magazine Forum

Channeled '32 Ford 3W Coupe

Marc Weller

I've lived on the west coast for 40 plus years but I grew up in Washington DC and I've maintained my affection for 60's east coast style. So with that in mine, my latest project is inspired by the channeled full fender rods I recall from my youth. I'll be using the Revell 3W coupe body and the new '29 roadster chassis to craft a '60's show rod type vehicle. I will roll on Modelhaus white walls along with MPC '60 Vette wheel covers. Motivation will be the blown Cadillac from the AMT '59 El Camino kit.

IMG_3528.thumb.jpeg.105e36e709a846e9d97d0d4df2715b90.jpegNormally the body sits above the frame rails. 

IMG_3531.thumb.jpeg.57297afaedd6e182399e8f2517ffa113.jpegI've dropped the body about 4 scale inches to cover the rails and sit lower on the fenders

IMG_3530.thumb.jpeg.b4a1d92f8173ef70048bd85d48a6cb7f.jpegStance is everything. The real wheels sit just right in the fenders without modification. I've notched the front crossmember to drop the front end.IMG_3521.thumb.jpeg.1d062d2659bacddf82a136e880afb6fb.jpegThe wheelbase on the '29 chassis is a bit long. Any easy fix was to cut the rails at the rear kick and reattach the portions such that the rear wheels are centered in the rear wheel openings.IMG_3532.thumb.jpeg.3893d340ab1c2e4b52cd4f638e0a56de.jpegKeeping with the '60'2 show rod vibe, I created pleated panels for the roof filler and running boards. Future plans include '59 Cadillac interior components, opening doors, and candy tangerine metalflake paint with candy black fades. Wish me luck !!!

IMG_3520.jpeg

• Like 4

Heh Marc, its Frank Edwards from your childhood! I hope all is well. Your name just came up this evening in a chat with Tommy Edmunds about anesthesiologists, you and my HS girlfriend, Devon DeLong who still practices in Scottsdale, AZ! 

i am semi-retired and living in Beaufort, SC on the coast between Charleston and Hilton Head .

I hope all  is well with you. 

Look me up if you ever are on the east coast in the vicinity of Charleston, Hilton Head or Savannah.

Best Regards,

Frank

301-980-5363

This thing is just falling together. The Cadillac drops right in without any modifications to the engine mounts whatsoever. The center crossmember remains in it's original location with only a slight modification to the ladder bars to accommodate the shorter chassis. Also got the top filler installed. Waiting on photo etched door hinges from Model Car Garage.Opening the doors is going to be the most challenging part of this project.IMG_3545.thumb.jpeg.81123fb10b630cb13ec1b84ec6c3c75e.jpeg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I'm really challenging myself on this one. Model Car Garage photo etched external hinges are not easy to assemble having 6 tiny pieces per hinge !!! I was astonished when I was able to get them to work on the first attempt. I have many hours in getting this passenger side door opened and hinged and I really can't say I'm looking forward to the driver's side !!   

IMG_3677.thumb.jpeg.f44b92e79ca8bca18cba5da32b4683fb.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks like a good plan. I was just going to say that in your particular case, I don't see a single good reason to put yourself through the trouble of fitting the '29 frame to the fenders and body. The original 32 3 window frame will require less modification to look good than the '29 frame. It uses pretty much identical rear end and suspension, it's K member would be more period correct to your build than the tubular one from the '29 and the front cross member would allow to fine tune the front ride hight way better than the '29 one. Not to mention the iconic reveal in the frame rails. 

Edited by mrm

15 hours ago, mrm said:

Looks like a good plan. I was just going to say that in your particular case, I don't see a single good reason to put yourself through the trouble of fitting the '29 frame to the fenders and body. The original 32 3 window frame will require less modification to look good than the '29 frame. It uses pretty much identical rear end and suspension, it's K member would be more period correct to your build than the tubular one from the '29 and the front cross member would allow to fine tune the front ride hight way better than the '29 one. Not to mention the iconic reveal in the frame rails. 

More a matter of what was on hand. I’d already used the chassis from the ‘32 for another project and a fresh ‘29 roadster kit was sitting on my shelf.

This is the first time I have seen these hinges and they really look in scale. You mention not looking forward to opening the driver's door. I wouldn't blame you if you kept it closed. You have the passenger door opened to show the interior and you may lose some of the body's structural integrity if you open the driver's door as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, espo said:

This is the first time I have seen these hinges and they really look in scale. You mention not looking forward to opening the driver's door. I wouldn't blame you if you kept it closed. You have the passenger door opened to show the interior and you may lose some of the body's structural integrity if you open the driver's door as well. 

In for a penny, in for a pound. Actually I was worried about that since there is just that very thin frame beneath the door. Gonna reinforce that with some brass rod.

• 4 weeks later...

My original concept for this build included using interior parts from the Monogram ‘59 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. I narrowed the seats enough to fit into the Deuce cockpit, trimmed the door panels and I’ll be molding the Caddy instrument pad into the Deuce dash.image.thumb.jpeg.4f9e0b70a02d4836265223cb67d6655f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.47a889b3fe4c52198b0e0c0e3a936a91.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Making some progress. I actually have a deadline, Spirit of Speed at the NHRA museum in November. Got the chassis, floorpan and motor painted. It’s Createx silver sealer topped with Candy H20 grabber orange.  I hope to paint the body next week. The Cadillacdash turned out great. I used Milliput 2 part putty and it was very easy to work with. 0E109082-8437-49B8-9B20-28F072BEB6F1.thumb.jpeg.be3e81e7da610a0613c3b2573665d7db.jpeg8AA0B455-830E-4CED-A109-D404C34D6C26.thumb.jpeg.3c83d6930ab690efd6c6f5dccbbf512a.jpeg

• Like 5

On 8/9/2022 at 6:02 PM, Marc Weller said:

I'm really challenging myself on this one. Model Car Garage photo etched external hinges are not easy to assemble having 6 tiny pieces per hinge !!! I was astonished when I was able to get them to work on the first attempt. I have many hours in getting this passenger side door opened and hinged and I really can't say I'm looking forward to the driver's side !!   

IMG_3677.thumb.jpeg.f44b92e79ca8bca18cba5da32b4683fb.jpeg

Can you provide some more detail about how you attached these hinges to the body? And a couple more pics? I've opened up the passenger door on a '34 3W resin body and have been attempting to make some hinges, but this set up looks much better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished painting the body. I’ll post pictures of the assembled hinges when I’m mounting the doors. Basically there are 4 pads on each hinge, 2 of which are epoxied on the inner surfaces of the door and body respectively. Look for the post in a week or so and thanks for following.

19 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful color choice for your build!

Thanks Carl. Unfortunately I have been plagued with fisheyes but I am just going to lower my standards rather than start all over again on painting the body. I have had this problem on my last three builds. Using HOK urethane show clear over Createx water based sealers and candies. I'm gonna give Createx a call but I'm sure they are just going to have me call HOK !!!!