Model Cars Magazine Forum

Channeled '32 Ford 3W Coupe

Marc Weller

Wow !! I left a message with House of Kolor and they called me back almost immediately. They recommend prepping the body with Spray Away glass cleaner and shooting an initial extremely light tack coat before trying t get the gloss to flow. I confess to being a little heavy handed with my initial coats so maybe this is my problem. Also watched a YouTube about repairing fisheyes but, to tell the truth, I subscribe to the old adage that the enemy of good is better !!

9 hours ago, ea0863 said:

I'm totally diggin the vibe, but I am going to have to break down and look up what the difference is between west coast and east coast rods! :) 

Chopping more common in the west, channelling in the east would be the main thing. Square roll bars another detail. I put an expanded metal insert in the deuce shell in my ‘29 roadster and when I drove it over to Pomona a number of people commented that it was an east coast thing.

1 hour ago, Marc Weller said:

Chopping more common in the west, channelling in the east would be the main thing. Square roll bars another detail. I put an expanded metal insert in the deuce shell in my ‘29 roadster and when I drove it over to Pomona a number of people commented that it was an east coast thing.

It's so interesting, the things one learns about the motoring industry - and even history in general, just building models! One article I found suggested the West Coast vibe was largely influenced by racing (especially on the Salt Flats), while East Coast was more for sport and track racing. In any event, your build is coming out great!

1 hour ago, espo said:

The paint looks great. I like the color match on the engine. What sort of finish did you use on the supercharger and injectors? 

Glad you asked. I came up with this years ago. I modified one of the needles on my Pasche airbrush so it would spatter consistently. I also use a low air pressure setting. Step one, spatter white lacquer primer to get the texture, then spatter light grey enamel, then spatter slightly darker grey enamel, then finally super light dusting of chrome silver enamel. That's it. Looks like a bare casting.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ea0863 said:

It's so interesting, the things one learns about the motoring industry - and even history in general, just building models! One article I found suggested the West Coast vibe was largely influenced by racing (especially on the Salt Flats), while East Coast was more for sport and track racing. In any event, your build is coming out great!

Here's the east coast style insert on my '29. Please try to ignore the girl

IMG_0636.JPG

On 10/22/2022 at 12:02 AM, ea0863 said:

I'm totally diggin the vibe, but I am going to have to break down and look up what the difference is between west coast and east coast rods! :) 

Marc is correct. Here's my personal thoughts (and of course, these are not hard and fast rules, anything can be done no matter the coast)

East- sectioning and channeling    West- chopping

East- near level stance    West- raked stance with rear higher

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 6:02 PM, Marc Weller said:

I'm really challenging myself on this one. Model Car Garage photo etched external hinges are not easy to assemble having 6 tiny pieces per hinge !!! I was astonished when I was able to get them to work on the first attempt. I have many hours in getting this passenger side door opened and hinged and I really can't say I'm looking forward to the driver's side !!   

IMG_3677.thumb.jpeg.f44b92e79ca8bca18cba5da32b4683fb.jpeg