Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any Ford Van Possibilities?

oldcarfan

57 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I have an unbuilt copy of the Sunrunner [1979 annual, for those whom aren't familiar with MPC's Econoline Vans], and it has round headlamps. IIRC, the Sorcerer was the 1980 annual, and it has the square headlamps which are shared with the Stunt Van

That's strange, I have a built up of the Sunrunner and it has the square headlights - same yellow plastic as the van.

I've also got an unbuilt Scorcerer van. Haven't opened it in years, but if I remember correctly, it had the round headlights. 

That would be reissue I'd love to see happen!

51 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I have an unbuilt copy of the Sunrunner [1979 annual, for those whom aren't familiar with MPC's Econoline Vans], and it has round headlamps. IIRC, the Sorcerer was the 1980 annual, and it has the square headlamps which are shared with the Stunt Van

MPC took some "liberties" with their built-up prototypes: the c.1982 catalogue exhibits the Fall Guy pickup with the 1978 cab! 

I've never had the Sunrunner kit. It shows the square headlight grille on the box and on the instructions plus I've seen pics of a stock Ford van molded in yellow with that grille so I figured it would actually have it in the kit.

43 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

That's strange, I have a built up of the Sunrunner and it has the square headlights - same yellow plastic as the van.

I've also got an unbuilt Scorcerer van. Haven't opened it in years, but if I remember correctly, it had the round headlights. 

That would be reissue I'd love to see happen!

38 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I've never had the Sunrunner kit. It shows the square headlight grille on the box and on the instructions plus I've seen pics of a stock Ford van molded in yellow with that grille so I figured it would actually have it in the kit.

I'll have to dig out my copy of the Sunrunner -- been years since I've even seen it in my stash (haha). 

I do recall building one of the MPC 1/25 scale Econoline vans (the 1975 & later model) and it had the round headlamps. Maybe I'm thinking of the AMT Econolines? 

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'll have to dig out my copy of the Sunrunner -- been years since I've even seen it in my stash (haha). 

I do recall building one of the MPC 1/25 scale Econoline vans (the 1975 & later model) and it had the round headlamps. Maybe I'm thinking of the AMT Econolines? 

No, you're not remembering wrong, there is an Mpc Ford Van with round headlamps, this one for sure cuz I have one in the stash.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

No, you're not remembering wrong, there is an Mpc Ford Van with round headlamps, this one for sure cuz I have one in the stash.

See the source image

Round2, Can you bring this one back, Stat!

What a great Kit! I'd need at least 4 of 'em.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

See the source image

This was the kit I wanted. ^^^

I bought this one thinking it was the same exact kit except for decals. It even has the same grille on the box. But, it has the newer grille inside. The turn signals are filled in on the body. Something I noticed on the body is the gas cap is behind the rear wheel opening. The AMT kit has it in front of the wheel opening. 

ford-4x4-stunt-van-25-0430-panel_1_0d4b079a8ba45d65e93d893257484903-1.jpg.0ee06288b62b9dc9610149e5d9903bc1.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Plowboy said:

ford-4x4-stunt-van-25-0430-panel_1_0d4b079a8ba45d65e93d893257484903-1.jpg.0ee06288b62b9dc9610149e5d9903bc1.jpg

Every time I see MPC boxart from this time period 1980, it takes me back to a happy place in my childhood. 

Going to the local hobby shop (Orange Coast Hobbies-long gone) and buying the Class Action Monte Carlo, Dukes General Lee and seeing other kits like these. Collecting Golden Wheels and sending for the free kit. Just having a carefree Summer with my friend building models, playing basketball and riding bikes.

Nostalgia is a great thing! This is why I enjoy retro boxes, they bring it all back to when life was simple and fun was where you made it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Every time I see MPC boxart from this time period 1980, it takes me back to a happy place in my childhood. 

Going to the local hobby shop (Orange Coast Hobbies-long gone) and buying the Class Action Monte Carlo, Dukes General Lee and seeing other kits like these. Collecting Golden Wheels and sending for the free kit. Just having a carefree Summer with my friend building models, playing basketball and riding bikes.

Nostalgia is a great thing! This is why I enjoy retro boxes, they bring it all back to when life was simple and fun was where you made it!

Me too Patrick. That's why it's baffling to me to see some complain about Round2's retro box art. Whether it's retro or original box art, it takes you back when you built it the first time. 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:33 AM, Daddyfink said:

And if you really want to get weird.....

Ironside Van, MPC 1-3012 (1971)

I've got a bunch of unique parts to this kit. Including the different body, high top roof, the interior panels and the wheel chair. I'm trying to acquire many of the other parts or a stock junker so I can replicate it - it's just so cool!

By the way. This van was also built by the notorious George Barris. Yes, that Barris!

Courtesy of Walmart and Hobby Lobby's 40% coupons I have lifetime of the late '70s Ford van sitting on the shelf. I really hope Mobius will do the early 60s version. They're part way there with the drivetrain and frame from the pickups. I had one of the MPC versions a long time ago but it was 1/20th scale so I traded it.

I know people talk about not having newer truck kits, but I always though it was weird that basically the model companies stopped making new van kits in like the early 80's. I think the only "new" van kit would be Lindberg's Caravan kit. It's like, up until maybe the early '00s, conversion vans were very popular. Even to now, vans are used for so many businesses and for the whole "vanlife" community, that it seems like they would be kits that would sell well. With just a different base kit for passenger vs cargo, they could probably come up with a dozen different kits of each without having to do much extra work.

• Like 2

Replying to Alan comment about the minibike in the dodge truck kit it is a Rupp minibike.  It is also in the dodge dart kits.  Mickey Rupp was an independent mini bike manufacturer in the late 60s early 70s.   He built his own frames and put primarily Tecumseh engines in them.  We were a dealer for him knew him personally super nice guy.  I know this isn't the subject of the thread but I couldn't help myself hope you guys enjoy my little know fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 4:58 PM, oldcarfan said:

Courtesy of Walmart and Hobby Lobby's 40% coupons I have lifetime of the late '70s Ford van sitting on the shelf. I really hope Mobius will do the early 60s version. They're part way there with the drivetrain and frame from the pickups. I had one of the MPC versions a long time ago but it was 1/20th scale so I traded it.

Not sure if your aware ... as you stated “ Mobius ... already has ... drivetrain and FRAME “ ? ??? Do you know the first generation Econoline Van 1961- 68 , and then the second gen 1969-74 Econoline  were all UNIT-BODY construction , not a full frame . 1975 was the first year of a full frame , body on frame design . 

On 8/25/2022 at 6:31 PM, Mopar maniac 74 said:

Replying to Alan comment about the minibike in the dodge truck kit it is a Rupp minibike.  It is also in the dodge dart kits.  Mickey Rupp was an independent mini bike manufacturer in the late 60s early 70s.   He built his own frames and put primarily Tecumseh engines in them.  We were a dealer for him knew him personally super nice guy.  I know this isn't the subject of the thread but I couldn't help myself hope you guys enjoy my little know fact.

Hey! I had a Rupp when I was growing up. My Dad got it for free when somebody in my cousins' neighborhood made the rear shocks fall all apart, My dad threw it in the back of the truck and after a little wrenching and some light welding I had a brand new (slightly used) yellow and black Rupp. I'm pretty sure mine had a Tecumseh engine. I wanna say it was a 5 horse. It was a big deal because the old minibike I had only had a 1 0r 2 hp engine. It was kind of a transition from a minibike, to a motorcycle. I had the laced up spoke wheels. Got a pic of my old minibike on my phone. I'll have to post it. Never did take any pics of that Rupp.