Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevy Bel Air 2-door Sedan

ModelcarJR

I'm starting this thread but it may be a few days before I do much else as I have several other kits that I am trying to get painted before I run out of good weather. I've painted this one as an unconventional two-tone with Dupli-Color Ebony Black and Testors Diamond Dust. The interior will be black and silver/gray and I will use the gray decals in the kit.  I've painted, rubbed out and foiled the body. I'll do the gold later. All the related parts have now been painted, silver, black or orange on the engine. Here are a few photos:

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzqweqSuZMKoW5ShR0m8z26Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1664829690

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwrIy-S88eqZgZF5xGF2_wdaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1664829690

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwxqnEZVTRWw0f9e0zEevMsKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1665106142

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwPqRGdMryvlolXwqZKUqqarnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1665106142

• Like 3

Thanks, Jim! I appreciate your question.  The Diamond Dust is just a metallic lacquer paint in a spray can that was originally put out by Testors as "One Coat" brand. Now the name is "Extreme Lacquer" sold in Michaels and Hobby Lobby.  I think when it originally came out the metallic flake was too big like a metal flake, but I think they have toned it down since. I don't use it much but I am using up cans that I have left. Here's a couple of photos of a 56 Chevy Del Ray that I did in a similar fashion with the one coat from about 2005, both Diamond Dust and Blazing Black. It seems to me to be more intense flake but maybe that's just my imagination. Thanks for looking and your question! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzMshzX7f079ebfE2oAssm45cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1665147826

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw-Azo7GaM20iulp1KF8Fxl5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1665147822

• Like 2

Thanks, Emre!  I appreciate your comment!  The only way I know to get a good luster or shine on the paint is to add a couple of coats of clear lacquer (I used Krylon Clear Lacquer on these bodies and sometimes use Tamiya TS-13 clear) and then rub out the paint and clear with 4000, 6000, and 8000 grit cloths and also using Meguiar's Scratch-X in between each grit and after.  A good carnuba wax also is helpful. It takes several hours for this process but its the only way I know to get a good finish. Thanks for the comment!  

• 1 month later...

I'm back on this one.  I originally taped off the top and left the rain rail black but once I got back to this one I decided to brush on some aluminum on the rain rail so it would blend in with the top. Once that was completed, I installed the window glass.

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxv_sRxyB1LcJHpmuv7k5SUKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1670782082

I also used the decals in the kit for the seat inserts. I had an extra set of decals from an earlier build and also decaled the top of the seat insert that wouldn't have a pattern in it normally but I have seen all sorts of patterns for the 57 Chevy. Its kind of a hybrid between the standard Bel Air interior and this pattern. There is also another pattern that is sort of splits the door panel in two colors. I don't think its a difference between Bel Air, 210 and 110 as I have seen many 210s with the more standard pattern. So I'm not sure how its determined what interior goes in which model. Anyway, here's this rendition. Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzHWurKaE6irZPhpi-Th_zgUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1670812077

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzvY-QDbNa3cEdos4HLWIhMKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1670812078

• Like 2

Like the color layout on the '57 interior. You had mentioned different interior patterns and colors. A lot of examples can be found using Google. In the case of the '56 model interior, the Revell 210 kit has what was called the Del Rey interior option and it was offered in a few different colors. Our family car was a 210 with the standard interior and somewhat boring by comparison.  

Thanks, David and Bob! I appreciate your comments! 

Not much done today. Rubbed out the hood and put the wheels and tires together. The tires are a bit wider from the parts box, steel wheels painted black, and baby moons from the Volkswagen Beetle that I built a couple of weeks ago. There are actually two sets of baby moons in the Beetle kit in addition to stock hubcaps and other wheels. The whitewalls are Pegasus vinyl stick-ons I've had for years that will probably peel off in a few weeks. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz0Evt9ODvk5rWmc7NC9IWaqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1670901724

Edited by ModelcarJR
spelling and grammar

Thanks, Carl! I appreciate your comment! 

Finished the engine and chassis today. I didn't add any wiring to the engine because you won't be able to see it if I did. I stole the carb from this kit for another build so I found one that is tall enough in the parts box. Once the air cleaner is added you won't be able to see it either. I mocked it up and the rear wider tires barely fit inside the fenders. The front will sit down a little more once glued in. The tires are also a little shorter than the standard skinny firestones so I think it sits a little lower than stock. Should be able to finish in the next couple days as it will be raining anyway. Thanks for looking! 😎 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxXowX_eSIIYKLJCJdjJSZjrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1670978823

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz3eyZ96kME82fi9DlRtlUPrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1670978827

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwvm-T6Iq1_ODV_hxKUXAyQKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1670978827

• Like 1

WOW those are really nice. I have just gotten the 56 Belair @ Ollies and is my 1st one up come Springtime. Yours will be my inspiration. I have contemplated a number of colors including Blazing Black, and Diamond Dust which happen to be in my paint stash, so they are in the running. But as always, I will probably change my mind as much as a 17 year old girl figuring out which prom dress to wear. In any event I will be watching. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, Jerry! I appreciate your comment!  I haven't seen a 56 Bel Air for a while. Did they re-issue it? I know the Del Ray is out there and that is a nice kit as well. I'll be looking for a Bel Air if they have re-issued it. 

The 57 is on wheels and I've completed the engine compartment and the front end. As I was completing all the steps for the front end, I once again really appreciated all the complexity of design of this car. The hood rockets, chrome hood bar, black screen portion on the top of the  headlights that vented air into the interior, the black appliques at the bottom corners of the headlights that provided some symmetry, gold Chevrolet script and "V", gold grill, light bar in the middle of the grill for the turn signals and Chevy logo, rubber bumper cushions, and three piece bumper.  All of these design features made the 57 Chevy one of the most collectible cars of all-time.  I guess I am lucky to own one. 

I've also added a couple of more pics of the interior as I think I have the new camera figured out so I thought I would post the new photos as the others were a bit blurry. Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxhLdHfKZWwRLlkNSv8xD394xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1671074653

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxT58YWVKVT2vzCVJjNwxZRaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1671074653

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFy5j5CSTN3lzfzYMh-1W4ZjrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1671074649