Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hard_2_Handle_454

Saw this awhile back and thought it was a cool little car.  I wanted one, but the price just got too high.  I ended up finding this one at a good price and bought it with some birthday money.  It's not a bad little kit, but I hate that it has the windows up with the top down.  So I cut them off.  You really couldn't finish the doors without them in there.  It's a pretty simple kit that looks great.

52377436343_ffeda9f5c8_k.jpgSAM_1136 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

52377436228_9e30b674a6_k.jpgSAM_1137 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

52377519844_94654ec37f_k.jpgSAM_1138 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

52377208761_11b852db30_k.jpgSAM_1139 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

• Like 7

5 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

David, this was originally a Protar kit (3 different versions), then reissued from Revell Germany and now from Italeri.

Thanks Helmut. When I researched it the Italeri kit box art shows a flat hood and the Revell kit has a hood scoop like what Eric's build has. Does the Italeri kit have both hoods as an option?

20 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

Thanks Helmut. When I researched it the Italeri kit box art shows a flat hood and the Revell kit has a hood scoop like what Eric's build has. Does the Italeri kit have both hoods as an option?

Sorry, David - I've got no idea about the latest releases: I have the initial Protar 1995 release (built) and the Revell 1997 reisue unbuilt - both are wrong: they are called Giulietta but have the hood scoop which came with the 1600 cc engine in 1962 when the cars were called Giulia (The Giulietta - Italian for "little Giulia" had always the smaller 1300 cc engine which is correct on the box of the last 2019 Italeri issue - the Giulietta did NOT have the scoop but a chrome spear in the middle of the hood) Protar also released a 1956 "Mille Miglia" Giulietta which had the correct hood, but has the wrong body with the bigger later (ca. 1960/61) rear lights - all  the kits have them and represent therefore the later 105 series with the larger wheelbase and not the earlier 750 series - quite complicate, isn't it ?

Anyway, Scalemates give a good impression about the kits available: https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/italeri-3653-alfa-romeo-giulietta-spider-1300--1029948

• Thanks 1

Just finished one of these myself. It builds up into a fairly nice model. Did mine in a dark gray with a red interior based on some photos that I found on line. Thanks for the background on the kit, I had wondered myself about doors, hood and trunk being separate parts which seemed strange for Italerie but you're never sure what you'll get from Protar. The four openings doors fit well except for the drivers one which sits a tiny bit to high. Like you I didn't like the thick side windows and cut them off but replaced them with thin clear plastic and had them partially rolled down, then I added a sliver of trim to fill in the left over gap. You'll notice that the last vestige of the hood spear is still on the cowl and needs to be sanded off when building the 1600. Sorry I can't provide photos of mine but haven't taken any yet and don't have a hosting site. I like yours but chose the gray because I have way to many red models on my display shelf. Thanks again for the kit background.