Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2023 1Quarter

Mr mopar

On 12/19/2022 at 6:38 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Revell Germany has a long tradition of doing their later year new tool/revised tooling announcements on New Year's Day. Hannants usually leaks that list early...and Bob's your Uncle. Tune into German modeling websites on January 1st at 1 minute after Midnight to see the official Revell announcement. 

Kinda feels like a full year's announcement (err leak) has already been made. They don't usually do too many new car kits each year and already we've heard about a DB5 and C8 that will be released later in the year. So, it seems we got more than just Q1 2023.

Edited by BVC500

On 10/17/2022 at 9:02 AM, Kims Kustom Garage said:

WOW 😵
That L.A. Steet Chopper getting reissued, is the best news for me, in several years. MAN is that sweet.
Now it would be nice if they followed with the Rough Rider and the Chaingang, both in 1/12 scale.....

I am actually working on my L.A. Street Chopper now. The paintjob is by sweedish masterbuilder Claes Beck-Friis. 

309303351_474302881330810_6411360201419427712_n.jpg

How are you doing on this kit?  I pulled mine out - the one I got in '71 - out of storage to fix.  The chrome is now awful and it looks like it was built by a kid.  It was!  Me, back in Jr. High School.  Can you tell me where the brake light mounts?  Or send a pix?  Thanks 

18 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Your lips to God's ears on the late-model Mustang.  Ford just keeps throwing out opportunities, so maybe Revell will finally bring out a half-decent S650 by around 2025 or so.

With Round2 coming out with the new Bronco and Charger, I'm going to put my hopes on them for a new Mustang. Maybe they'll do the 2023? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stef said:

Looking very nice overall, though surprised and crestfallen about the headlight buckets not being separate chromed pieces. 

I would've certainly rather had chrome reflectors myself, but with the general opacity of kit headlight lenses, a little Molotow chrome or compass-cut foil will work just about as well.

If features like chrome reflectors would have raised tooling expenses enough to ding the LIDAR scanning budget, I'm glad they went the way they did. This is the best, closest-looking body shell Revell has done in an age, and the model appears to sit just right, too.

Compare it with the flat-railed Olds 442 hardtop and you can see the difference scanning makes.  🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Molotow chrome or compass-cut foil will work just about as well.

If features like chrome reflectors would have raised tooling expenses...  

Nothing beats real chrome bezels, so me personally, imma hog 'em out and replace 'em with chrome units from the parts box. No worries there.

As for keeping costs down, here's hoping some of that budget goes towards packaging; it would be a shame if those A-pillars got Oldsmobile'd.

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Been waiting for updates on the Revell VW T2 Wesphalia Van.  They have released the stock T2, so I wonder how far down the road the Wesphalia may be?

The Bay Window Westphalia? That’s been out for months now. There was even a build up done in MCM about 3 issues back. But I could be misunderstanding the question.

Yeah, a USA release.  Been watching a couple of favorite sites and never saw it. This is the '72 +/- camper van with the whole roof from about the leading edge of the side doors lifts with canvas sides. I owned one for a couple years and for some reason got totally stupid and traded it for a '78 Rabbit.

54 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Yeah, a USA release.  Been watching a couple of favorite sites and never saw it. This is the '72 +/- camper van with the whole roof from about the leading edge of the side doors lifts with canvas sides. I owned one for a couple years and for some reason got totally stupid and traded it for a '78 Rabbit.

it might not be a usa release, theres no chance of it fitting in the boxes you get so i assume they'll just be imports

2 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

I would've certainly rather had chrome reflectors myself, but with the general opacity of kit headlight lenses, a little Molotow chrome or compass-cut foil will work just about as well.. 

Molotow is the game changer here, cuz in the old day's I fearlessly would've advocated for chrome buckets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Very few Revell Germany kits get U.S. reboxes, and with the new management Revell Germany kits are no longer force shipped to the U.S., retailers/wholesalers have to order them. As others have mentioned it's been out for awhile and it quickly sold out when the first shipments of it came around. Most likely will have to source one from a Euro/UK vendor.

i am very surprised they are using the bronco for the gone fishing. it used to be the dodge ramcharger in the gone fishing set. 

i have the revell bronco, its not a great kit. i hope they use teh monogram bronco, which is a good kit

i cant see the scale on the box. its too fuzzy. i will definitely pick up this set either way, but if they use the monogram one, i will pick up 3

ByVhUbG.jpeg

Edited by MrMiles

Not to derail, but I just HATE that.  The big nasty horsefly in the ointment of AMT's '55-7 Cameos was all that honking unfinished space around a featureless interior bottom, scuttling the effect of a reasonably detailed frame and drivetrain - vastly more annoying to me than a DLO sweep corrected by a few minutes with a couple files and some Plastruct.

On the blurred box, the 5-hole wheel design seems to match Monogram best, and I can't make the little Revell sunroof out or those wonky fender flares; so I'm ever-so-slightly inclined to the Monogram Bronco for "Gone Fishing".  Not at all certain, though - it was the Revell Bronco for that Yamaha boat set, so there's precedent for that one in a set.

On 12/20/2022 at 12:00 PM, TarheelRick said:

I have the version with included paints. I don't remember where I got it, but I have had it for a while. It has a price tag in USD, so I am pretty sure I "threw it in the cart" when I ordered an issue of MCM from Burbank's House of Hobbies before I subscribed. I have the T1, T2, and T3 campers. If they ever get built, I thought they would look cool together.

Guess I should add / clarify that it is a RoG release.

Edited by Rodent

13 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Not to derail, but I just HATE that.  The big nasty horsefly in the ointment of AMT's '55-7 Cameos was all that honking unfinished space around a featureless interior bottom, scuttling the effect of a reasonably detailed frame and drivetrain - vastly more annoying to me than a DLO sweep corrected by a few minutes with a couple files and some Plastruct.

Me too. But, it's not much worse than the Moebius pickups with the floorpan 6-7 mms above the rocker panels. IIRC, the AMT '50 Chevy pickup also has no floorpan.