Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Chevelle SS 396

ModelcarJR

This is a great kit.  I've built it a couple of time both as Stock and Pro Street. it doesn't have a lot of parts but it has the right parts. The interior is a bucket but the door panels are separate so they can be painted and detailed before assembly. A nice set of rally wheels that can be mated with some Goodyear or Goodrich tires from the parts box. Only a few pieces that are chrome that the chrome should be removed. The body is clean without mold lines and in this case is molded in blue, a 1989 issue. The blue plastic had a swirl in it so I washed and sanded it out good before painting. 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFziZsAne7KPd99odMtQbB3vUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666463225

I painted the previous stock assembly with MCW Sierra Fawn Metallic inside and out. I added plug wires, heater hoses, vinyl top, white letter tires and an antenna. One of my favorite models. 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFx92XbXVBaZZ3RbLp6zttlz4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666463226

This one I painted Dupli-Color Bright Aqua Metallic to substitute for Marina Blue Metallic. The hardest part was taping off the water bottle and painting it first. The I taped it off and taped off the engine compartment before applying two coats of color and two coats of Clear Lacquer. Tomorrow I'll tape off the body and paint the engine compartment black and paint all the other pieces. I haven't decided on an interior color yet. Thanks for looking! 

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyuYcyl2Jk8i9gUvHfFlFG0UnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666463229

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFx4hZha_Mc4a9becs-U0dEtrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666463230

• Like 6

Thanks, all! I appreciate your comments!  Mike, funny but I just bought a 66 Chevelle by AMT on the shelf at Hobby Lobby. I thought about getting started on it right away but as you can see some kits need some shelf time in my closet. LOL!  The price of the new kits though is $36. Even with 40% off it was $24 with tax. Getting pretty expensive. I like all the Revell chevelles and hope I won't be disappointed with the AMT 66 which I haven't seen before. I'm sure its a re-issue with some new stuff but Its probably been awhile since it has been issued. 

I'll probably go with a black interior. I'll have to pull up a few photos. Thanks for looking! 

4 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, all! I appreciate your comments!  Mike, funny but I just bought a 66 Chevelle by AMT on the shelf at Hobby Lobby. I thought about getting started on it right away but as you can see some kits need some shelf time in my closet. LOL!  The price of the new kits though is $36. Even with 40% off it was $24 with tax. Getting pretty expensive. I like all the Revell chevelles and hope I won't be disappointed with the AMT 66 which I haven't seen before. I'm sure its a re-issue with some new stuff but Its probably been awhile since it has been issued. 

I'll probably go with a black interior. I'll have to pull up a few photos. Thanks for looking! 

Don't know how the Revell 67 compares to the AMT 66. The one I'm Building is an old kit not the new release. I like the AMT kit. I have read that some proportions are off but looks good to me. Has the bumper guards if that's not a problem but my real one didn't have them (doing a replica off it) so I went with Hartsparts resin ones. 

Both paint jobs look great, I am partial to the Marine Blue, but the shade of Gold is nice as well.  I combined the front end of one of these kits with the '66 El Camino kit to make a model of an El Camino I owned years ago. See my Avatar for an idea of how that turned out. 

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments!  David, your El Camino looks good! 

I rubbed out the paint and the finish looks good. The color is a little darker than Marina Blue and has a hint of green in it but I like it. I added the first pieces of foil. I've gotten all the other parts painted and now have six kits ready for assembly. Its been raining a bit today and a storm is going to pass through tonight so I'll be content to finish the foil on this one and maybe get another body ready for later in the week. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFzlIRdg5EcQKBYHl8T61kM5VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666634049

• Like 3

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments! 

Finished the foil, found some decals that I could use for the flags and Super Sport script.  I forgot to foil the scripts and flags before paint so I had to use decals. I foiled the Chevelle script on the hood but it is hard to make out. The engine compartment was taped off and painted and the water bottle looks good. On to the interior as I'm not going to be able to paint for days! Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxPxat0KwzJ93PHoUp-h0RIqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666740248

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFxRLIImPQnanmRpz33WDQH_rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666740245

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFz6AOZzvC6SgLjwQT7vnc_aaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666740245

• Like 3

Thanks, Mike and Carl! I appreciate your comments! Mike, sorry to hear that. Its always painful to pay the $13 -$16 for PE, half of which is not useable, and then screw up a couple of scripts. I used to use a lot of PE but now try to do without. Not worth the cost and pain when screwed up. 

Finished the interior and I am still trying to get use to my new camera. I did manage to get a couple of photos to take.  I need to touch up the steering wheel a bit, it appears. Thanks for looking! 😎

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFyr1br0preYj7PgAFTuwbyR4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666802803

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwpIuLAIddSnGCF91OgOGFxldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1666802806

Edited by ModelcarJR
Add another comment

Coming along very nicely and the color is so good for the model.  The 1:1 was a real favorite with me back in the "day"; I can still recall seeing these being driven off the auto transport while walking to the high school in Ionia, MI. I was late for the first class on more than one occasion...😀  

Joe