Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford 5 Window Coupe

bluestringer

I built this about 7 or 8 months ago. It was dropped then kicked and of course a lot of parts fell off. I just threw it back in the box, I never liked the way it came out anyway. So I am going to get out of my comfort zone and do something different with it. I'm in the process of stripping the paint now, I have Z'd the rear of the frame following Ace-Garageguy's tutorial in the tips section. I have also trimmed the spring perch on the front to get the front a little lower. I have three engine choices, the original Ford I first built, a 4.6 Liter from a 97 Mustang GT and a Hemi. Since I like Hemi's that is my first choice. Haven't looked at my wheel and tire choices yet, or what color I'm going with. This is something I'm going to try and work on while doing other builds, so may be a long time project or may end up not finished at all. Right now I'm working on a VW Beetle for my wife. 

DSCN0206.JPG

DSCN0207.JPG

• Like 2

Yup. Go with the old Hemi. Get some wide whites and tri-5 Bel Air hub caps. Channel it all the way down and paint it metalflake emerald green.  Don't fill the roof, paint the insert white. Leave the exposed hinges. Von Dutch style Pinstriping, for sure......and lose the four link. Sorry, couldn't help it. 😔

Edited by customline
Additional text

I've always like baby moons, so digging further in the parts box I came up with this. I think this is the way I'm going. I'll paint the rims body color which I have not decided on yet. I don't know if you would call this West coast style or East coast style, but moon caps were popular here in South Georgia in the 60's. The front tires are from the Revell 66 Fleetside kit. Not sure where the Racemaster slicks are from. 

DSCN0216.JPG

DSCN0217.JPG

DSCN0218.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andrew McD said:

A hemi and baby moons, a nice little slice of paradise no matter what color.  This one looks like fun!

Thanks.

16 hours ago, Chevy II said:

Where did the wheels come from? Where did the deep dish rear one come from?

I'm not sure. I was looking through my parts box and found them, but don't remember what kit they are from. 

5 hours ago, slusher said:

I have watched you build several models James, your skills are great. Look forward to your build bro your style!

Thanks Carl. But I think I have bitten off more than I can chew. Probably putting it all back in the box because I don't know what I'm doing. Can't use the slicks after lowering the rear because they are too wide and hit the body. I can fix that with some different tires, but I wanted to get the body lower so I cut off the rear tank and thought I'll just put on a moon tank, big mistake. I got the body lower but now I have to do something with the interior to make it fit. I also broke the front axle trying to get it lowered. Haven't looked in my parts box yet, but I don't think I have another one. I'll take a few days off and think it over. 

8 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks Carl. But I think I have bitten off more than I can chew. Probably putting it all back in the box because I don't know what I'm doing. Can't use the slicks after lowering the rear because they are too wide and hit the body. I can fix that with some different tires, but I wanted to get the body lower so I cut off the rear tank and thought I'll just put on a moon tank, big mistake. I got the body lower but now I have to do something with the interior to make it fit. I also broke the front axle trying to get it lowered. Haven't looked in my parts box yet, but I don't think I have another one. I'll take a few days off and think it over. 

So what's the problem, James?  I thought this kind of thing was normal. It is for me, anyway 🥴. I have a Master's in Not Thinking.

I don't think I have built a fenderless hot rod without every issue you described and probably a thousand more. If you have other projects in various stages of construction,  just work on those and your mind will work the solutions out in the background.  Nothing I have thrown back in the box has ever emerged for construction.  I end up stealing the parts. A few days to think it over is a good way to go. Who knows, maybe you'll get some new ideas ( and for me, they're hard to come by these days). 

Solving problems is what kit-bashing is all about 🤔, ain't it?  Front axles are like gold to me. As long as you have CA, some .020 brass wire, and a #74 bit you can fix it (unless you stepped on it,  of course. 😞 )

Edited by customline
Changed "dozens" to "thousands"

James, as I just mentioned in another thread, attaching the interior side panels les to the body as opposed to the floor will help you slip the body down and retain the panels for the interior, you will need to trim the floor panel, as for the rear axle? Widen it! And as mentioned above the front axle is an easy fix or replace it with another. 

17 hours ago, customline said:

So what's the problem, James?  I thought this kind of thing was normal. It is for me, anyway 🥴. I have a Master's in Not Thinking.

I don't think I have built a fenderless hot rod without every issue you described and probably a thousand more. If you have other projects in various stages of construction,  just work on those and your mind will work the solutions out in the background.  Nothing I have thrown back in the box has ever emerged for construction.  I end up stealing the parts. A few days to think it over is a good way to go. Who knows, maybe you'll get some new ideas ( and for me, they're hard to come by these days). 

Solving problems is what kit-bashing is all about 🤔, ain't it?  Front axles are like gold to me. As long as you have CA, some .020 brass wire, and a #74 bit you can fix it (unless you stepped on it,  of course. 😞 )

Thanks Jim. I'm working on the VW beetle for my wife, so I'll work on that for a while, then get back on the coupe. I did get the axle back together, hopefully it will hold. 

Ok, I worked on this thing some last night. I am still way over my abilities with it. But I'm going to try and do something with it even if it's wrong. I put the front axle back together and I think maybe it will hold. I also extended the rear axle on both sides because I really wanted those rear slicks on there. I sectioned the rear of the floor pan by 6mm and put it back together, and took the same amount out of both interior sides. I will need to adjust the angles on those to make them fit right now. I have lowered the rear where I want it, but I can't get the front any lower without cutting into the frame or Z'ing it, which I don't want to do. I may have to raise the rear a little because I don't like the stance it has now with the rear lower than the front.  Got some of the engine done also. 

DSCN0237.JPG

• Like 1

Kepp up the good work. Kit bashing is challenging work but, in the end rewarding too. 

I recently channeled a 32 coupe. The interior sides had about 5mm cut from the bottoms. The rear wall was sectioned the same amount, but the shape was too wide at the bottom. The pix show the wedge shapes removed from the sides of the back panel form the interior side to line up with the rear wall. you can see the faint line where the rear wall has been sectioned. There are most probably a number of ways to section the interior but this is what I did

IMG_7394.thumb.JPG.a977d4c41548597363f843e85ab45b5a.JPG

5 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Ok, I worked on this thing some last night. I am still way over my abilities with it. But I'm going to try and do something with it even if it's wrong. I put the front axle back together and I think maybe it will hold. I also extended the rear axle on both sides because I really wanted those rear slicks on there. I sectioned the rear of the floor pan by 6mm and put it back together, and took the same amount out of both interior sides. I will need to adjust the angles on those to make them fit right now. I have lowered the rear where I want it, but I can't get the front any lower without cutting into the frame or Z'ing it, which I don't want to do. I may have to raise the rear a little because I don't like the stance it has now with the rear lower than the front.  Got some of the engine done also. 

DSCN0237.JPG

Looking through research photos I have, not an uncommon stance...

• Like 1