Model Cars Magazine Forum

’72 Dodge Demon Drag Racer 1/25 scale

19 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Subframe connectors look great. Using your milling machine is a lot easier than the cut and file method I've been using.

Thanks Edgar!  I could have used the same method as you, but I thought it was worth a try with the milling machine.  The biggest challenge I faced was holding the floor pan in place without damaging it and getting the perfect alignment.

Francis

18 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Awesome, Francis! Those look great! Like Edgar said--these are the kinds of operations that make me happy I have a mill.

Thanks Daniel!  The milling machine is my favorite tool and I'm always amazed at what you can do with it, despite its price, it's the best investment I've made.

Francis

• Like 1

Other than the 1 to 1 guys using a cutting torch instead of a mill this is exactly how this would have been done, so this looks absolutely like a real installation. And even though it was againsl the rules a lot of the Mopars had the welds ground for appearance, especially if they doubled as car show particpants. Judged a lot of these in the day.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 12:45 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Other than the 1 to 1 guys using a cutting torch instead of a mill this is exactly how this would have been done, so this looks absolutely like a real installation. And even though it was againsl the rules a lot of the Mopars had the welds ground for appearance, especially if they doubled as car show particpants. Judged a lot of these in the day.

Thank you Ian, your comment as a connoisseur in the field is really appreciated and means a lot to me.  When I get further along with the floor pan, I'll come back to the body shell and open the doors like you did with your superb Sportsman Camaro.

I think this forum is really fulfilling its role with the advice and motivation that the members bring to each other, the effort to share our experiences takes all its sense here!

Francis

17 hours ago, charlie libby said:

Hi francis , very nice as always. Did you wrap the wheel tubs around something the correct diameter while the glue set?

Thanks Charlie!  Yes, I wrapped them around a socket, you can always find the perfect size for your need as they are all a little larger than each other and sometimes there are even small and useful variations in sizes between manufacturers for the same size bolts.

Francis

On 3/6/2023 at 9:53 AM, Bainford said:

Just checking in on this thread. I know it's old news now, but that grill work is impressive. Everything else is looking great. It's always fun to watch your builds come together. Top work, Francis.

Thanks Trevor!  I had planned a less difficult project than the pickup but I think that reality is slowly catching up with me, the work on the body details are longer than I had anticipated. 🙄

Francis

Hello everyone,

I made some progress on the floor pan over the weekend and it's time to share the photos I took with you.  After preparing the opening to receive the transmission tunnel, I glued the whole thing and made the firewall because it was necessary to give rigidity to the whole.  I also removed the rails from the front frame as I will custom make new ones a bit later when I have decided how the engine bay will be dressed.  I plan to open the doors and make them functional so you will understand later why the firewall is made like this, I have a plan but it won't be easy!  In addition, I do not plan to put torsion bars and a more modern or racing suspension will be used, to be continued...           Your comments are welcome and appreciated.

Francis

I made a clean, straight opening for the transmission tunnel that I custom made using 0.020" Evergreen styrene.94_Trans_Tunnel_Prog_1.JPG.182d1a1ec0054de3cd04370ccefdf3b6.JPG

The choice of transmission is not yet final but I made the tunnel large enough (I hope) for a Lenco style planetary transmission.95_Trans_Tunnel_Prog_2.JPG.a3518aa949d240f8b733d6a0583963d3.JPG

The cross frame was cut and I continued the shape to simulate the support and/or reinforcement of the tunnel96_Trans_Tunnel_Prog_3.JPG.705b07c4a7d8ef1268120a361e21543c.JPG

I added some basic shapes to the side of the firewall referring to pictures of restoration site on the internet.97_Cowldash_Prog_1.JPG.b61797ed0f3287199ef7c8f163acb3d3.JPG

I have provided openings in the cross frame for wiring and plumbing.  You can also see where the front frame rails will be located, the spacing will be about the same as the kit but adjusted to my needs98_Cowldash_Prog_2.JPG.2c0ddc112aa1aec3034f11a6e18fafde.JPG

Seen from the back, it is progressing but there is still a lot of work to do.99_FloorPan_Final.JPG.c0f56b70837a4057b77024a4b39d11b1.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nicely done. How did you create the parts of the transmission hump from the plastic.

Beautiful work as always. 

Thanks Bob!  Sorry I didn't take pictures of this, but I took an aluminum rod and wrapped a piece of sandpaper around it to create the desired opening size.  I used the same aluminum rod to force the .020" styrene sheet to stay in place while the glue cured, the sandpaper had added about .020" to the opening in the previous operation.  For the funnel part, I cut a sheet of thin cardboard to trace the desired shape and then transferred that drawing to a sheet of 0.020" styrene.  This is also why I had to do the firewall at the same time because both parts are connected together.  I hope it makes sense to you, but basically I took more time to pre-cut the shapes to minimize the finish.

Francis

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

I really like your approach the this model, obviously very well thought out and exicution to the highest level.  Waiting to see where your drive line choices end up.

Thanks Ian, I'm inspired by the best of this hobby 😁 and good advice from guys like you!

The engine will certainly be Mopar because I don't want to make any enemies and that I can do nothing else! 🙄

Francis

14 hours ago, Butter 1 said:

Hi Frances.

Very clean and precise work as always. Thanks for sharing your thought processes with us.

Thanks Ron,  I will continue to share my adventures and my process as long as people appreciate it, the goal is not to reinvent the wheel but to show that it is always possible to improve things.  This is exactly what you are doing with your 48 Ford Ranchero!

Francis.