Model Cars Magazine Forum

’72 Dodge Demon Drag Racer 1/25 scale

On 2/8/2023 at 9:38 PM, Butter 1 said:

Hi Francis.

The grill is perfect!!!  Good choice on starting with the Revell chassis. I also agree with your thoughts about brass versus styrene  in some cases.

FYI I started a thread in WIP pickups called 48 Ford Ranchero.  I always appreciate your comments.

Thanks for your kind words Ron, I will definitely check out your new project and what you have in mind.

Francis

On 2/10/2023 at 10:26 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Great job so far on this Francis, as usual your attention to detail is off the charts. I also have to agree with your assessment of the brass verses styrene situation, especially in the case of the Mopar unibody construction (there's a term I haven't used in decades) where unlike other manufacturers everything was body color from the factory.

Thanks again for your continued support Ian, I really appreciate your knowledge of the subject and for reminding me of the exact name "unibody" body structure of the Mopars of that era.  One of these days I will definitely embark on a full brass frame project but it will be for a Top Sportsman type car like your fantastic Camaro where I think using this material is a must!

Francis

On 2/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

As I see it you have to choose the material that best suits what is being built. Really don't see brass would be better than styrene in this case.

The grill is very impressive.

Thanks Bob, there will certainly be room for brass for the mechanical components (aluminum too... 😁) so there will be a bit for everyone's taste.  Of course I build for myself and for fun first, but it's also a bit to help and motivate others who would like to start the same kind of project or simply go back to the hobby.  I think that making the structure in styrene is also a way of doing it that is more accessible to all.

Francis

On 2/11/2023 at 1:34 AM, Straightliner59 said:

I think you should build with what you're comfortable using. Not all painters or sculptors use the same medium, and your work speaks its own quality!

Thanks Daniel, your right, I do have all the tools for soldering brass but I only feel that I can do a more realistic job with styrene.  In my own book, precision comes first but I know there are masters of brass construction on this forum but I think you have to walk before you can run!  All in good time as they say! 😉

Francis

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 7:49 PM, Randy D said:

Always enjoy catching up on your build Francis. Your skills are on display with that front end!!!!!

Randy

Thank you Randy, your comments are much appreciated sir!

Nothing here is as spectacular as your incredible brass tricks, but I learn a lot with each visit to your threads.

There will certainly be brass in this build but mainly for the machined components, this superb material deserves to be tamed as it takes any project to another level.

Francis

Hello everyone,

This week again, I don't have much progress to show because I was stopped in my tracks by my washing machine... 🤬  Monday is usually my most productive day, but I spent most of it replacing a faulty drum bearing, the washing machine was so loud it was scary.  However, over the weekend I started working on the rear wheel wells because I'm going to put wide tires on the back of this thing and the frame rails also need to be moved to the center, so I made new ones to replace the original ones.

I'm hoping for more progress next week if none of my other appliances break down... 🙄

Francis

The wheel wells are made by gluing 2 sheets of 0.015" styrene together (I used the same technique for the D100) and the frame rails are 0.080" by 0.125" evergreen.87_Floor_Pan_Progress_4.JPG.ba9116f3b2e5c0c906fb69a030f12e67.JPG

I've grafted the wheel wells onto the floor pan and will have to make them fit perfectly with the inside of the body.88_Floor_Pan_Progress_5.JPG.7411f21930380987eca175be0246f679.JPG

• Like 3

On 2/14/2023 at 9:13 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello everyone,

This week again, I don't have much progress to show because I was stopped in my tracks by my washing machine... 🤬  Monday is usually my most productive day, but I spent most of it replacing a faulty drum bearing, the washing machine was so loud it was scary.  However, over the weekend I started working on the rear wheel wells because I'm going to put wide tires on the back of this thing and the frame rails also need to be moved to the center, so I made new ones to replace the original ones.

I'm hoping for more progress next week if none of my other appliances break down... 🙄

Francis

Story of my life Francis. It's usually spent trying to straighten out something that my loving wife or my dear son has broken or needs help with. I feel like a one legged man in an a$$ kickin' contest sometimes. lol 

Very good fabrication work on the wheel wells and frame so far bro. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 3:40 PM, mustang1989 said:

Story of my life Francis. It's usually spent trying to straighten out something that my loving wife or my dear son has broken or needs help with. I feel like a one legged man in an a$$ kickin' contest sometimes. lol 

Very good fabrication work on the wheel wells and frame so far bro. 

Thank you for your understanding and your appreciation of my work Joe!

Yesterday, it was the water heater that started leaking on the floor.  Fortunately, it's on the cement floor of the basement and there is no damage, but I still have a little more work to do... 🤬

Francis

9 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

i need to go back to your D100 project, i totally forgot how you did those tubs back then, i've been working on my tubs and they are not looking like that at all, looking good brother

Thanks Marcos, I found that gluing two thinner sheets together helps keep the round shape instead of trying to use one thicker piece.  Many dip the styrene piece in very hot water to soften it but I never got the results I wanted so I came to the layering technique.

Francis

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Marcos, I found that gluing two thinner sheets together helps keep the round shape instead of trying to use one thicker piece.  Many dip the styrene piece in very hot water to soften it but I never got the results I wanted so I came to the layering technique.

Francis

that's awesome, so you bend both parts and then glue them together or you apply the glue while bending, i can't wait to try that

8 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

that's awesome, so you bend both parts and then glue them together or you apply the glue while bending, i can't wait to try that

That's right Marcos and I forgot to mention that I use liquid glue like Tenax or Bondene but go easy on that stuff because it tends to distort the styrene when you put too much on.  Note: Do not breathe the fumes because they are harmful and cause brain damage like the ones I have... 😳

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

That's right Marcos and I forgot to mention that I use liquid glue like Tenax or Bondene but go easy on that stuff because it tends to distort the styrene when you put too much on.  Note: Do not breathe the fumes because they are harmful and cause brain damage like the ones I have... 😳

I'll try to not do that too much LOL, thanks man

Hello everyone,

Enough about my appliance problems, it's time to spend a few hours on this build and get the project moving, there's a lot to do.  I fine-tuned the wheel tubs to fit inside the body and installed the new rear frame rails on the floor pan.  In addition, I have provided a specific space in the rear trunk for a fuel cell because the OEM gas tank will not be reinstalled.  I drilled the holes in the frame for the leaf spring anchors and more improvements will be made as I go through the build.  I also replaced the front cross frame piece and all the rest of the front frame section will be replaced later with custom ones.  I plan to integrate frame rail connectors and that will probably be the next step in this build.

See you later with more progress,

Francis

The trunk floor has been redone and the wheel tubs have been adjusted to fit the interior of the body.89_Floor_Pan_Progress_6.JPG.bfdfa2960144a2ceb00307d0dff9f8fc.JPG

The back frame rails are installed and I made a recess on the trunk floor for the fuel cell.  I added several half round pieces to simulate embossing.90_Floor_Pan_Progress_7.JPG.40e0ef1bc81634cfd430d154744fe0a9.JPG

• Like 4

Great update Francis!  Especially the process for the wheel tubs. I've seen this done in furniture making with wood, but it never occurred to me it would work with styrene. I have a pair of 43 inch 1/12th tubs I had no good idea how to fabricate them, brass just seems too complicated to get a good result.  Plastic it is.  THANK YOU!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Great update Francis!  Especially the process for the wheel tubs. I've seen this done in furniture making with wood, but it never occurred to me it would work with styrene. I have a pair of 43 inch 1/12th tubs I had no good idea how to fabricate them, brass just seems too complicated to get a good result.  Plastic it is.  THANK YOU!

Thanks Ian, there is a material for every situation and Styrene is certainly one of the most versatile.  When it is coated with paint, no one will be able to tell the difference except for the thickness which would be visible if the body is exposed separately.

Francis

8 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Excellent work, my friend! Laminated sheet for the wheels tubs is a great idea!

Thanks Daniel, my father was a great carpenter (to follow up on Ian's comment about wood) and I saw him use this technique for making furniture when I was a kid.  Our memory also keeps useful ones that follow us throughout our lives, sometimes we just need to adapt them and that's a bit the case here!

Francis

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Daniel, my father was a great carpenter (to follow up on Ian's comment about wood) and I saw him use this technique for making furniture when I was a kid.  Our memory also keeps useful ones that follow us throughout our lives, sometimes we just need to adapt them and that's a bit the case here!

That's exactly right: We can employ techniques from any number of fields of endeavor. And, we should! I cut some strips of wood that I plan to bend into a steering wheel, one of these days. Woodwork and metal work don't know scale, so virtually anything that can be accomplished in the 1:1 realm, can be adapted to ours!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Awesome work Francis like always, clean clean

Thanks Marcos, the best is yet to come and I intend to improve the techniques I used for the pickup.  I still have a lot of work to do but every day spent tinkering with this thing is pure pleasure!  I wish I had more free time but there are priorities in life, the hobby must remain a hobby.

Francis

• Like 1

Hello guys,

As planned, I spent time on the bench over the weekend working on the floor pan and made frame rail connectors for the Demon.  I don't know why I never thought of doing this before, yet I don't know how many pictures in magazines or on the web I have seen where these were installed under Mopars of this generation.  I find that it adds a lot to the drag racing soul that I want to implement in this project.  I proceeded in the same way as many pictures I found on the internet where the floor had been cut and the rails were welded all around in order to reinforce the structure of the car.  You will understand when you see the way I did it that I had to do this operation before doing the transmission tunnel which would have caused me problems to mount the floor pan on my milling machine.  I really like them and I consider them a success considering it's a first for me.  I am now working on the transmission tunnel and the firewall, this will probably be the subject of my next update.  Your comments are welcome.

Francis

Flooring on the milling table for the operation, I made the cuts the same width as the styrene pieces to avoid unsightly gaps.91_Frame_Connectors_Prog_1.JPG.50a8e4cf07de7b28eb611329dcf4717d.JPG

I added flat strips where they meet the rear frame rails to simulate reinforcement plates.92_Frame_Connectors_Prog_2.JPG.5bcc8979abc35ff710211213a1597442.JPG

From a different angle.93_Frame_Connectors_Prog_3.JPG.408aebf529b9bdc5af487fea883cb227.JPG

• Like 2