Model Cars Magazine Forum

’72 Dodge Demon Drag Racer 1/25 scale

On 12/24/2022 at 11:59 AM, Mike D said:

I’m starting a similar project, Don Carlton’s Rod Shop Demon. It will be a blend of his Pro Stock/Match Racer. Will be following your project closely. 

I am glad to know that another member is working on a similar project Mike.

Do you have a Styrene or resin kit for your project?  Have you started a thread or do you plan to post the final product when it is finished?

As for the final look of mine, I'm far from it and not sure yet because I have hundreds of hours before me to create all the details of the body so I have plenty of time to think about it and change my mind several times... 🙄

Thank you for your visit and come back anytime.

Francis

On 12/24/2022 at 7:47 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Well, my friend, you are the only human I know who would machine his own taillights BEZELS! Incredible, but not surprising coming from you.

Now, the 4150 bulbs (with twin filaments) will be something. Can't wait!

Joyeuses fêtes!

CT  

Thanks Claude!

I feel lazy and I think I'm going to take a shortcut by using LEDs instead of incandescent bulbs, I have a lot of other details to make and I don't want to spend too much time on hidden details. 😳

Joyeuses fêtes à vous aussi mon ami !

Francis

15 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

I’ve built a few Duster drag cars in the past.And I just just wanted to let you know,that I don’t mean to take any attention off your build by posting these pics.I really think your build is coming along great so far.

Thanks Ron, it would be hard to say that you don't like Dusters... I like them too but I chose a Demon for its rarity.

Francis

23 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Oh HELL yeah!! Why I haven't seen this one pop up my radar screen, yet I just simply do not know. But mister.....you have been FOUND!!! I'll be following this one for dang sure Francis!!! 

Hey Joe, welcome and thank you for witnessing my new obsession, my friend! 😁

I don't know how it will turn out, but I know that all my past tricks and new ones will be needed to bring this project to life.

Almost everything will have to be created from scratch, so the project could change during the build, but it will definitely have a lot of horsepower and big tires. 😉

Francis

4 hours ago, Codi said:

Nice to see you back Francis and on this new project.   Hope to see a new update soon and please keep sharing your methods and madness with us all.   We can benefit surely.  cheers, tim

Thanks Tim!  As I mentioned in a previous post, the direction of the project is not yet final. I have a ton of work to do on the body so you'll definitely see more updates and I'll try to post as many photos as possible, especially for the more difficult parts to create.

I look forward to seeing more updates on your own spectacular project, it will certainly benefit mine too!  😁

Francis

Hello Everyone,

The last two weeks were not very productive due to the holiday season, and the fact that I worked because the plant was not closed.  I still found some time to do a few things and today I'm going to show you the brackets I made for the rear light bezel.  I chose brass in order to have thin and rigid parts since 0.010" Styrene would have been too fragile.  Plus, it will appeal to fans of this material so there will definitely be some brass in this project! 😁

I'll be back soon with more stuff and a happy new year to all !

Francis

The part I tried to reproduce.

39_Taillight_Brackets_Target.JPG.769091e7095f29a1c4702e62b82b3920.JPG

I made the opening and soldered to a brass strip to simulate the fold.40_Taillight_Brackets_Prog_1.JPG.8b712907d318596d0a22620e7c59c367.JPG

Both pieces are fabricated but need a little sanding.41_Taillight_Brackets_Prog_2.JPG.de00da1969fbb325e8dc86a66a61e4f8.JPG

The brackets are spot welded on the real car, but I made mine to fit between the 2 Styrene strips.42_Taillight_Brackets_Prog_3.JPG.5c71ea81a2e64d8bc75b1fd615654971.JPG

View from under.43_Taillight_Brackets_Prog_4.JPG.5bdce168f82a564939a84e6608e1ee35.JPG

This picture is a little less blurry I think.44_Taillight_Brackets_Prog_5.JPG.415ecf32d31a11d65a1b720f36b9ad77.JPG

With the bezels in place.45_Taillight_Brackets_Prog_6.JPG.997f37ffdd0e6e3c51c68486d8f7af0f.JPG

I will drill holes in the brackets to add small bolts to hold the bezels to them.46_Taillight_Brackets_Prog_7.JPG.d243625a7bbb1fd8d44df51f102e6a1b.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to comment on my latest update. I know this isn't the most difficult or spectacular part I've done so far, but I thought it was relevant to show how the tail lights would be mounted.

I'm moving slowly but I'm trying to anticipate the next steps by not making elements too hastily that would have to be redone later in the build.  This has happened to me several times with my pickup and it has delayed my progress not to mention the risk of ruining other components attached to it.

I also take the time to evaluate the pros and cons of using plastic or soft metal (brass or aluminum) for certain parts to get the best detail, knowing that most of these parts will be painted over in the end.

I have made good progress with the rear part of the vehicle and I intend to start working on the front, including modifying the wheel opening, making front valance and the grille.  I've been thinking about a way to make the grille for a long time and I can't wait to take action and make it happen.

I hope to be back soon with new and more substantial progress.

Francis

19 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Sorry Francis, I'm a bit late to the party on this update but as per usual you did not disappoint, already awaiting the next update

Thanks Ian!

Don't worry my friend, it's never too late to stop by and your comments are always appreciated, your own current project is absolutely fantastic!

Francis

16 hours ago, Keef said:

After following your build on the truck I can’t wait to see what you have in store for this one!! The magnificent attention to detail and the depth of detail just has my jaw dropping on the ground!!

Thanks for your kind words Keith!

I can see by your profile picture that you love the Dodge Demon and I can only promise that I will do my best to improve the flaws in the original MPC kit body and convert it as best I can into a '72 that will be convincing.  I should be taking action with the grille in the next few days (or weeks...) so come back and check in from time to time.

I don't know if you have a real Demon but feel free to point me in the right direction if what I'm doing doesn't respect the original, I make everything from photos found on the internet.

Francis

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 7:24 PM, charlie libby said:

you put me to shame francis ,but i learn more from you each time i come on here.

Thank you Charlie but rest assured that your exploits are still of great interest to me, I just need to find a way to replicate your wonders at the scale of my project.

Unfortunately there are limits to the smallness of what I can make so I'll have a look at your page! 😊

Francis

Hello everyone,

Progress resumed on the bodywork and I concentrated on correcting (at the front) and improving (at the rear) the wheel openings.  It looks pretty easy to do but I had to be very careful not to touch the subtle straight line that simulates the center fold of the body.  The rear fenders needed the small lip at the top of the fender softened and rounded, but the front openings needed more work.  I enlarged the opening by about the same thickness as the styrene strip I added (to keep the original size), and this was used to recreate the lip after correcting the shape of the top.  I also corrected the rear shape to be more angular and closer to the door rather than going down in an almost straight line.  For those who are familiar with this body model, I hope that my corrections will pass the test, it is not easy to recreate exactly because the body is more curved towards the inside than the scale model which must be able to be ejected from the mold.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, as usual, and work on the body and its components continues.

Francis

The modified back fenders.53_Back_Fender_Final_1.JPG.cf02013ca666ce1de0b40b34a044c5c2.JPG

From a different angle.54_Back_Fender_Final_2.JPG.7cc0bd14e2a5975e452b5cab0ba82550.JPG

The target for the front fender shape.52_Front_Fender_Target.JPG.8c84bc1cafe54cd9dc2dd81d48ea6abf.JPG

The original body before modification.47_Front_Fender_Original.JPG.3968ede288ff300f2c3c92b2abd2a159.JPG

I first removed the same thickness of plastic as the styrene strip I added and sanded (filed) at an angle to create the shape between the center fold and the wheel opening.48_Front_Fender_Mod_Prog_1.JPG.40821a058752931b998cdde72ee15af1.JPG

You can see more clearly (I hope...) the shape I have made between the lip and the center fold.49_Front_Fender_Mod_Prog_2.JPG.bb676b7b451d91240ff860f4dc5b3269.JPG

From this angle you can see the corrected shape on the back between the wheel opening and the door.50_Front_Fender_Mod_Prog_3.JPG.eb726667c6afc413f3f6a84fc5c43182.JPG

I corrected the front where the valance will be attached.  I also engraved a line to simulate the front fender extension.51_Front_Fender_Mod_Prog_4.JPG.75f0982e8b39461cc859a6cc6a132bb6.JPG

• Like 2