Model Cars Magazine Forum

’72 Dodge Demon Drag Racer 1/25 scale

8 hours ago, iBorg said:

Your work makes me feel like a slacker when I'm thinking of using a resin body. When you glued the trunk lid to the plate to use on the rotary table, what kind of glue did you use? Was the plate a part of the rotary table or is it a separate piece? What is it made of?

I'll admit you're making me realize there's so much more I can do with my milling machine.

Mike, the plate is cast aluminum tooling plate. You bolt it to the milling table, or rotary table, via the t-slots. It's meant as a kind of disposable work surface, in that it's customizable to suit your given application.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, Bainford said:

Just found your new project, Francis. Looking forward to seeing this cool Mopar come together. I quite like the body work so far. 

Thanks for your visit and kind words Trevor, the project is probably not as intense as the D100 at this stage but I will try to remedy that a little later in the build. 😉

Keep checking back, I expect to incorporate aluminum and brass on this one too. 😁

Francis

On 12/12/2022 at 1:24 PM, iBorg said:

Your work makes me feel like a slacker when I'm thinking of using a resin body. When you glued the trunk lid to the plate to use on the rotary table, what kind of glue did you use? Was the plate a part of the rotary table or is it a separate piece? What is it made of?

I'll admit you're making me realize there's so much more I can do with my milling machine.

Thanks Mike!  You are a brave and passionate guy, I have tried working with a resin body before and it takes a lot of skill to get good results like the ones seen on the forum.  I like to use solvent glues like Bondene or Tenax but they don't work with resin and that's sad because resin kits are often the most interesting subjects.

I used double-stick tape (the kind that sticks to both sides) to hold the trunk lid in place and added masking tape on both sides as you can see in the photo.  The plate on which the trunk lid is mounted is a 5" Rotary Tooling Plate (#3725) from Sherline, it is designed to mount unconventional or special parts on the rotary table, it is very useful and inexpensive.

The possibilities are almost endless when it comes to making parts with the milling machine and the more you use it, the more you will discover that this tool is versatile, so don't let it intimidate you. 😉

Always a pleasure to help,

Francis

On 12/14/2022 at 7:36 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Amazing work on the trunk lid. Brilliant solution.

Thanks Bob!  This is what I would call trying to turn a flaw into something better. 😁

Francis

On 12/14/2022 at 8:12 PM, chris chabre said:

AWESOME!

Thanks Chris!  I am quite satisfied with the progress made so far, but I think the best is yet to come!

Francis

Hello everyone,

It's crazy how fast time flies, just five days before Christmas and 2022 will soon be over but I don't think anyone will complain...

Time for a last update before the Christmas weekend and I took the opportunity to add a little bit of red for the occasion.  I spent the last few days working on the taillights with a part of the mounting brackets if I can call them that way.  I machined the brake lenses and the back-up lights with acrylic rods by reversing the measures used to make the openings in the rear panel.  I referred to photos on the internet for the basic shape, but I don't claim they are exact replicas, as many details are too small to be incorporated but the whole is quite convincing, an owner of the real car could be a better judge than me.  I will then make the brackets to mount the units in the trunk and I think I will make them out of brass as they need to be very thin and rigid.  Anyway, there is no shortage of choice when it comes to what to make, everything is to be made but I must admit that this is my favorite part of the hobby. 😁     Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Francis

Brake light at the beginning of machining with red acrylic on the rotary table.26_Taillight_Progress_1.JPG.9b5b0bdd8e0f74255556af5cbfb56981.JPG

A little later with all the lens shapes machined. You can notice that I machined the 5 shapes because my first idea was to paint the back lights white.27_Taillight_Progress_2.JPG.172e71ea6345a376a1e20efa4fa90b04.JPG

Turned 90 degrees to separate them into two identical parts28_Taillight_Progress_3.JPG.d6bfda443068acaf78e543cd65dcffd2.JPG

I then decided to make the reverse light out of clear acrylic.29_Taillight_Progress_4.JPG.004e394ebbf4b9c70e329aa04efbd673.JPG

Parabolic receptacles for bulbs in progress.30_Taillight_Progress_5.JPG.caa39f5d8b47601c0505789187dc1e1c.JPG

At a later stage of fabrication, I drilled small holes for the wiring.31_Taillight_Progress_6.JPG.f6c9b51f5d3a1b6e326b6dbe2742a500.JPG

Part of the brackets at early stage of machining.32_Taillight_Progress_7.JPG.6154979e3ca8670b54afee42c3b807fb.JPG

At a later stage.33_Taillight_Progress_8.JPG.528a52aef705db1aeb2c2cb8f1727db1.JPG

I glued the two parts together and refined the details.34_Taillight_Progress_9.JPG.ac37be7ed0c1e0a3025c0587a4f3953a.JPG

The parts before final assembly.  You can see that I machined notches on the brake lenses because I think they act as replicators on the real lens?35_Taillight_Progress_10.JPG.c181604e53193331e2c98f29df1438dd.JPG

I put chrome (Bare Metal) and glued the acrylic lenses with 2-part epoxy.36_Taillight_Final_1.JPG.c65cb0489de5baf9becca51120e62a4a.JPG

Test fit, not bad I think?37_Taillight_Final_2.JPG.e8a67f8a72a4730dd11eeddff8290afd.JPG

I will probably add some black around the lens to create a tunnel effect as the acrylic is very transparent.38_Taillight_Final_3.JPG.252929fea34bdb5845414bf09b079df8.JPG

• Like 4

On 12/20/2022 at 9:27 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just the taillights are a work of art.

Thanks Bob, it is very difficult to take good pictures but the effect in person is even better, I guarantee it.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:18 AM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

WOW what detail, never though on doing something like that before

Thanks Marcos, this is the kind of detail I like to do the most!

On 12/21/2022 at 5:13 AM, Straightliner59 said:

Simply magnificent! The buckets look sweet. Excellent work, Francis!

Thanks Daniel, I think these pieces will be a nice addition to the details I plan to do in the trunk.

On 12/21/2022 at 7:14 AM, dragcarz said:

Wow! That’s  insane….. in a good way! 

Thanks Roger, I am well motivated to improve this kit and I think the back part is well on its way to being improved!

On 12/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, absmiami said:

Yup … 

Thanks Andrew!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Great work Francis, I hope you have a great Christmas and a productive  New Year!

Thanks Ian, I really hope to have a productive new year too.  Have a great holiday too, my friend.

On 12/21/2022 at 9:00 AM, Joe Nunes said:

Very, very, nice!  👍

Joe

Thanks Joe!

On 12/22/2022 at 9:34 AM, Scott8950 said:

I agree

Thanks Scott!

On 12/22/2022 at 11:10 AM, cobraman said:

Very nice ! I wish I had a tiny bit of your talent.

Thanks Ray, It's probably more madness than talent...😁

I just want to take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas and may you be safe with your families and friends. 🎄

The holiday season has been particularly difficult for the past 2 years and the weather is acting up this year (in addition to the endless viruses in circulation), so we must appreciate every good moment that life brings us!

Francis

• Like 1