Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Chevelle SS396 in Fathom Green W/Green Vinyl Top.

Dragonhawk1066

I finished my version of the Revell 1969 Chevelle SS396 today. It's painted in a custom mix of craft paints to simulate Fathom Green, and was cleared with Createx UVLS 4050 Gloss Clear. The vinyl top was trimmed using .010" x .030" strip styrene and was also painted with a custom mix of craft paints. The interior is painted in Delta Black and Anita's Glossy Black. I used Bare Metal Foil for the trim and added valve stems, door locks, spark plug wires, and heater hoses for extra details. This is a fantastic kit and while it was tricky getting the body over the radiator support and firewall, everything fit great and it was a pleasure to build. Thanks for looking!

1.JPEG

2.JPEG

4.JPEG

6.JPEG

8.JPEG

11.JPEG

13.JPEG

15.JPEG

17.JPEG

18.JPEG

19.JPEG

20.JPEG

22.JPEG

23.JPEG

• Like 14

This model is really nice!  Very realistic in the paint and details. The craft paint and clear top coat sure makes me want to take a good look at giving those products a try instead of the enamel and lacquer paint I have in the shop. Thanks for sharing!

Joe

23 hours ago, Horrorshow said:

Is that ever nice!!! It’s like looking at pictures of the real thing…fantastic build!

23 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Another winner Craig. Super attention to all of the details. 

23 hours ago, Hemifever said:

Very nice clean build, like the color choice also.

23 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Oh yeah Craig, looks perfect...great looking '69.  I have 4050 clear but have never used it.  The sheen is very factory like...realistic!!

23 hours ago, cobraman said:

May be the best one I have seen !

21 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Looks great. 

21 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Great colour choices and fine work all around. 👍

20 hours ago, charger74 said:

WoW beautiful 👌🏻

13 hours ago, TooOld said:

Oooo that's pretty !  Beautiful work !

12 hours ago, KWT said:

Man that's snazzy... very nicely done.

12 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Well done.

11 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Outstanding!

9 hours ago, drodg said:

I agree with someone else.  It is the best one I have seen...  Congratulations.

8 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Sharp looking Chevelle Craig! The color and vinyl top really makes the model! Nice work!

8 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Awesome Chevelle.

7 hours ago, thatz4u said:

what they all said x 2^^^^^

6 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Chevelle.  Very well done.

6 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking build. All of the fine detailing on the body trim looks very realistic. 

Thanks for the compliments guys! Much appreciated!

8 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

This model is really nice!  Very realistic in the paint and details. The craft paint and clear top coat sure makes me want to take a good look at giving those products a try instead of the enamel and lacquer paint I have in the shop. Thanks for sharing!

Joe

Thanks Joe! The craft paints are pretty nice to work with, but there is a bit of a learning curve. There are definitely pros and cons, but they have no odor so I can spray them in the house. That got me to learning how best to use them so I can build year-round.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks Joe! The craft paints are pretty nice to work with, but there is a bit of a learning curve. There are definitely pros and cons, but they have no odor so I can spray them in the house. That got me to learning how best to use them so I can build year-round.

I would really be interested in reading the techniques you use for achieving the nice finish with craft paint. For example:  paint manufacturers, paint primer used with the craft paint, mixing ratios and materials used to thin the paint color choice for airbrushing, pressure used for airbrushing craft paint, distance from model items when airbrushing, sanding grits used on craft paint and what you use as a paint sealing medium and how you apply it to the model. Not asking for much here...🤣😁😊

I would be very happy to achieve a realistic model finish that looks as nice as your model that is displayed above and having the explanation in one place would be a huge benefit for the reader.  Thanks!

Joe

Edited by Joe Nunes
Added text
  • Like 1