Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 64 Chevy Impala 'lowrider' 2 in 1

XYHARRY

G'day folks, today I finished my version of the Revell 64 Impala. I'm quite happy with the result. I only have one issue with this kit and that's the tail lights. To me they look a little out of scale, i.e. too big and different sizes. Overall this kit goes together well. My only regret was when I got glue from my thumb on the front windshield and cracked it when I was buffing it out. Graphics are the decals from the AMT 63 Galaxie kit. Everything else is oob except for the twin antenna. Thanks for looking and as always all feedback is welcome. 

Cheers, David. 😎👍

20230216_185314.jpg

20230216_185352.jpg

20230216_185419.jpg

20230216_185436.jpg

20230216_185517.jpg

20230216_185608.jpg

20230216_185732.jpg

20230216_185827.jpg

20230216_190035.jpg

20230216_190112.jpg

20230216_190117.jpg

20230216_190146.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Sweet color combination, it works very well with the decals.

A beautiful version of a classic low rider, well done!

(you're right, the tail lights do look a little oversized)

David G.

I tried to not rant about those taillights again but could not keep my mouth shut!

It isn't just that they are oversized but they are also 3 different sizes. If you try to sand the bugger ones down then the outer edge will be smaller than the others. They are supposed to fit into some insets to get the right angle and alignment but since they are molded as shapeless blobs it just doesn't work. It is a real shame because this is a top notch kit other than those tail lights. This is probably the best I have seen them yet, including my own build of the kit!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi David! 

Verrrrry nice. The decals are a good fit. If I may: what blue paint did you use? Just curious...

CT

Thanks Claude. Body is Tamiya ts 44 brilliant blue with Tamiya ts65 pearl clear and Tamiya ts13 clear. Chassis is Tamiya ts41 coral blue. Interior is the white plastic with Mr Hobby H41 pale green on the inserts. Carpet is dark grey matt.

1 hour ago, Tcoat said:

I tried to not rant about those taillights again but could not keep my mouth shut!

It isn't just that they are oversized but they are also 3 different sizes. If you try to sand the bugger ones down then the outer edge will be smaller than the others. They are supposed to fit into some insets to get the right angle and alignment but since they are molded as shapeless blobs it just doesn't work. It is a real shame because this is a top notch kit other than those tail lights. This is probably the best I have seen them yet, including my own build of the kit!

Some years ago I did a restoration on what I believe is the AMT 63 Impala SS. The tail lights on this one are quite good and if I remember correctly, they are cast on the body. I think this kit was last reissued in 2019 so there should still be some available out there.

63Chevy12_24.jpg.7c97970a49a2e39c6bfd6a40e3769e09.jpg

Regards,

David G.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, David G. said:

Some years ago I did a restoration on what I believe is the AMT 63 Impala SS. The tail lights on this one are quite good and if I remember correctly, they are cast on the body. I think this kit was last reissued in 2019 so there should still be some available out there.

Regards,

David G.

The lights on the 63 are a different style and much smaller. 

698fcf35328c0dc4b9270239f3abba79.jpg

I have just tacked mine on for now.

Done 8 (2).jpg

I have two options to fix them. Someplace in my junkyard I have an old AMT '64 hand painted gluebomb that has lenses that are one piece and push through from behind. If I can find it I can cut them out and make a new outer ring (it is part of the body on the AMT). 

Or...

Next time I am in the hobby shop I will pick up two sections of tubing and build the whole things up from scratch. Will drill out the rear panel so I can push them through and get the right depth and angle. 

• Like 1