Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod Black Paint

I'm building a 32 Ford Roadster to look like the 1:1 my buddy just finished up.  I'll be giving it to him once I'm done with the build.  His Roadster is painted Hot Rod black.  I use the Tamiya Acrylic paints through my airbrush and need a little help on what color would work.  I'm thinking maybe a flat black and flat clear base maybe?

20230306_142422.jpg

• Like 1

Tamiya semi-gloss black is probably your best straight-from-the-bottle choice, but might still be a little too flat.

For painting chassis, I mix up what I call chassis black, which is just a 50/50 mix of Tamiya gloss black  & semi-gloss black. It looks pretty close to your photo.

A third option is to paint it gloss black, then cover with Alclad sheen clear-coat, which is a clear that is half way between gloss and semi-gloss. 

Edited by Bainford

39 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Thanks for all the suggestions fellows.  I think I'll give the Tamiya semi gloss black Acrylic paint a try on a test piece.

And if there is not quite enough sheen just add in a little X-22 to the mix ( in the paint not over it).

4 hours ago, Bainford said:

Tamiya semi-gloss black is probably your best straight-from-the-bottle choice, but might still be a little too flat.

Funny, I always think it's a bit too shiny for my taste. But it is named "semi-gloss" and that's why I used the Model Master chrome trim black when I wanted a color a little more flat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roncla said:

Tamiya market a  Flat Base in three different versions to suit their Enamel/ Acrylic and Lacquer range of paints.

It's like a paste you mix in to the paint and allows you to vary what level of shine the paint will exhibit.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/acrylic-paint-23ml/acrylic-x-21-flat-base/

Thanks for the info Ron.  I saw that but wasn't really sure what it was for.

If you want that exact semi-glow black, all you have to do is buy Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 black, in a spray can.

It comes out smooth and clean and has a semi-gloss sheen. I use it to paint dashboards and other black interior parts that should be semi-gloss.

6 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

If you want that exact semi-glow black, all you have to do is buy Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 black, in a spray can.

It comes out smooth and clean and has a semi-gloss sheen. I use it to paint dashboards and other black interior parts that should be semi-gloss.

Thanks for the info but I'm wanting to stick with Tamiya acrylic paint that I can spray though my airbrush.  I appreciate it though.

On 4/4/2023 at 6:11 PM, Zippi said:

Thanks for the info but I'm wanting to stick with Tamiya acrylic paint that I can spray though my airbrush.  I appreciate it though.

I don't know if it has been said, but if you want to stick to Tamiya acrylic, I'd just use semi-gloss black.  Flat or matt will be to flat.

Edited by ctruss53

On 4/1/2023 at 2:06 PM, TonyK said:

Funny, I always think it's a bit too shiny for my taste. But it is named "semi-gloss" and that's why I used the Model Master chrome trim black when I wanted a color a little more flat.

I agree. It looks more like something I'd use to replicate a black plastic finish.

On 4/1/2023 at 4:06 PM, TonyK said:

On 4/1/2023 at 3:19 PM, Zippi said:

Thanks Dave.  Thanks for the tip.

You could also try the X-22 in Tamiya flat black. I've done this but used Liquitex satin varnish in the Tamiya flats. Since you wanted Tamiya references I bring up the X-22.