Model Cars Magazine Forum

RAW GOLD: a '68 TBird Pro-Touring with a '71 roof transplant in satin gold, inspired by Steve Stanford

Claude Thibodeau

On 4/18/2023 at 9:43 PM, NOBLNG said:

Beautiful and super clean build Claude!👍 I like those hood hinges. I think I’ve seen them on some of your other works. Do you have a patent on them?😁

Hi Greg! Thank you for the comments. I'd like to have a patent on those, but alas, I thing they are too "generic" to merit one. However, they allow for the engine compartment to be seen without having the view blocked by the hood. 

CT

On 4/19/2023 at 12:09 PM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Awesome, Claude! I remember Steve Stanford's original sketch and the "Thunderstruck", that was built from it. Always wanted to build scale replica but I could never get a vintage '68 T-Bird kit (very hard to get here Europe). Though the original rendering and the 1:1 car were more traditional kustom designs I really like the pro-touring take on it you are sharing with us here. Great build, nice paint and some really cool modifications! 🥰

Thank you Oliver!

To your point: the 68/69 Tbird is very rare indeed. Almost impossible to find as an annual kit. However, this very body came from the Allison engined funny-car that Model King (AMT) reissued a few years ago. I was fortunate to find one at 30$! So.... swap the roof from the 71 Bird of paradise recently issued kit, and voilà!

CT

On 4/19/2023 at 12:12 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Very beautiful Thunderbird, we can't argue that the new headdress you grafted on it suits it perfectly!  I love the color and I know (from seeing all of your models) that this shade is one of your favorites, It's a classy color like the builder who presents it to us!

I just noticed that you used a Dana differential, it's not a reproach but we know how famous Ford is for its 9 inch which are a reference in the field. There's no harm in interchanging the parts, anyway they can't be found these days and I could tell you about it... 😉

Hi Francis!

Thank you.

If there's one person who I tought might notice that... It's YOU! The unit is out of a 68 Charger kit, and was just the right width. Of course, a 9" Ford would have been more "politically correct", but as you know, I like to scramble eggs once in a while! LOL. 

CT

On 4/17/2023 at 8:28 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

The great Steve Stanford posited that a 68 Tbird with a much lower 71 roof transplant would be a better looking 'Bird: he was right!

So: mash-up AMT's 68 body with the 71 roof, and add a scratchbuilt floor pan, front and rear pro-touring frame sections, a modular Cobra engine with custom injection, and a mostly scratchbuilt interior, save for the dash, and throw on a satin pearlescent gold finish, and voilà...  Thanks for the inspiration, Mister Stanford!

CT

DSC01716 (2).JPG

DSC01710 (2).JPG

DSC01707 (2).JPG

DSC01702 (2).JPG

DSC01703 (2).JPG

DSC01705 (2).JPG

DSC01715 (2).JPG

DSC01717 (2).JPG

DSC01718 (2).JPG

DSC01721 (2).JPG

DSC01724 (2).JPG

DSC01713 (2).JPG

Claude....great concept and execution.  I've been watching for a '67 T-Bird kit myself as I wanted to do a pro-touring execution.  Yours goes way beyond my idea, however.  Particularly impressed with the IRS and the engine.  Lovin' it!   Cheers....TIM