Model Cars Magazine Forum

'49 Ford radical custom

chepp

One day I noticed that the cross section of the AMT '49 Ford cowl where it curves from horizontal to vertical on the side of the car happened to be the same as the curve on an AMT '36 Ford hood. Then I noticed that the front of the '36 hood, when seen from above, was nearly the same as a '39 Ford grille from the AMT '39-'40 sedan kit. So, I cut off the '49s front fenders and roof then pie-cut it and sectioned it before adding the hood and grille. The powertrain is a Jo-Han '70 Toronado engine/trans/diff with a Latham axial supercharger and intake from the AMT '65 Buick Riviera.

The body paint is pearl yellow craft paint over flat yellow model railroad acrylic. The subtle fogging is a mixture of Tamiya clear yellow and clear red acrylics. Many coats of Tamiya TS-13 clear gloss made it smooth and shiny. Much of the bright metal on the engine and other parts is Molotow.

IMG_4922-4942sm.jpg

• Like 9

Amazing job envisioning all of the different body components and then blending them together seamlessly. Looking at it from some angles reminds me of the old electric car rides from the county fairs of old. Looks doable in 1:1 as well. 

Thanks all for the nice comments. Espo, yes it does have kind of a bumper car vibe like those ones at fairs.

It can be a polarizing design, so comments from those who don't like some or all of it are free to speak up, too! I have a thick skin and welcome all viewpoints.

11 hours ago, TooOld said:

Beautiful job Charley !  The more I see this the more I like it !  What are you calling that color . . . kind of a Sherbert or Butterscotch ?

I hadn't thought about a color name until you mentioned it. I does look sort of butterscotch in the photos that were taken outdoors on a cloudy day. In direct sunlight it's a purer yellow pearl color. The base coat is Polly S* Reefer Yellow and the color coat is AmeriCraft (or a similar name) Bright Yellow pearl. So, maybe I should call it Reefer Yellow Pearl -- just kidding. I'll just stick with Pearl Yellow.

"Radical" might tend to understate just how custom this truly is. Like many I was not expecting a minus number of wheels to start, not to mention the rest.

Your vision is certainly one far afield from anything most might conjour.

"Radical" indeed.

On 5/4/2023 at 8:33 PM, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Over the top!

Would love to see it in person winning a model contest. It would definitely win. So unique.

Thanks! I entered it at GSL last week in the Group 23 category (start with an AMT '49 Ford and build it any way but without using parts from kits or aftermarket items that are "modern"). This category wasn't judged but instead was a popular vote and mine came in fourth place! There were about ten entries and the others were mostly traditional customs while one was a unique junk truck made with just the front and forward part of the cabin like a pickup cab.