Model Cars Magazine Forum

stash has to go

Do to my worsening eyesight it is time to let them go. Because we are not allowed to sell here, I'm here to tell anyone who want to know that I'll be selling my collection over the next months on Ebay. They will be sold under the user name of biggbadddogg. It has been a lifelong hobby and I will miss it very much. Good luck if you chose to buy and I thank all of you for your ideas that I have used over the years and have help my builds very much. Gary

22 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

If you have not used eBay for a while, be careful. I learned a few hard lessons about shipping and description information.

Not sure if you do Facebook, but there are a couple of different FB pages that you can sell on, fewer restrictions than eBay and no fees that I am aware of.

In regards to selling on here, you are correct. Now if you send messages via PM with a list or photos of what you will be selling, it would help some here identify what they want and help them help you in clearing out the stash.

I just looked at your KW. You are offering free shipping but state in the description that you will calculate the shipping cost after the auction. Just my gut feeling you will lose your shirt on this one because of that. Most likely the buyer will "select" free shipping. eBay will not change that. I'd suggest you put a high enough shipping cost on any others you list and maybe add the same disclaimer that this one has. On this truck I'd have put at least $30 to ship it. 

If you plan to list a lot I'd suggest you invest in a Postal scale if you don't have one. You would have a good idea of the weight. If you are using your own box I'm fairly certain that if you put in all the details in the "Shipping" section of your listing eBay will calculate the cost.

Just trying to help.

• Like 1

I am not an eBay selling expert by any means, but I have sold a bit in the past.

Before listing anything, I would find a box and whatever packing material I thought it needed. I don't have a postal scale, but I have a decent kitchen scale. I would measure and weigh every complete package and write that info on a Post-It Note stuck to the box. When I listed the item, I had the dimensions and weight right at hand. I know that some don't like it, but I used the eBay shipping calculator and printed the labels when the item sold.

The ridiculous shipping cost on EBay is the reason I will always support my local hobby shop first. The shop I frequent is Star Hobbies in Maryland. They buy collections and offer them in their store. Might want to see if your LHS wants to buy your collection.

Thank you for all of your comments. The listing for the semi was a general one that I wrote  to use with all my listings, so I didn't catch  about the shipping. It will be revised. As for Facebook. Started to use it and got into a bad experience on there and will not go back.  I didn't start this journey to make a lot of money. It is to remove from my house something that stares at me everyday only to remind me I can't do this anymore. Thank you for the links to my listings, I will try to do better in the future listings. Gary

Sudden realisation gets to us all eventually!        Too many kits.       Too little life left to build them!

Been there, done that and got the tee shirt so to speak.

Had a massive clear out some time ago and know what? I don't even remember half of what I got rid of. Must have been impulse buys in the past that were just sitting in the loft gathering dust.

I'm down to about just 20 kits that I intend to build and resisting buying more. A bit of a more manageable situation as the remaining kits are what really interests me, so have a good chance of being built.

I was just fine until they started reissuing the kits that I built in my youth. Also the kits I could not  get when the children were growing up. Something about feeding them(lol). So they go.

• Haha 1

Is there a decent sized swap meet in the Twin Cities area? 

I would say E-bay generally produces the top price for vintage/special/rare stuff it is a race to the bottom for more common kits.

I completely stopped selling on E-bay due to the above mentioned shipping and feedback issues. 

My 2 cents :) 

Carmak

On 5/2/2023 at 7:59 PM, GRiN said:

I'm here to tell anyone who want to know that I'll be selling my collection over the next months on Ebay.

15 minutes ago, Carmak said:

Is there a decent sized swap meet in the Twin Cities area?

There is the NNL North coning up soon.

NNL NORTH May 21st, 2023, Bloomington Minnesota - OUR 25TH ANNIVERSARY!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:19 PM, Oldriginal86 said:

The ridiculous shipping cost on EBay is the reason I will always support my local hobby shop first. The shop I frequent is Star Hobbies in Maryland. They buy collections and offer them in their store. Might want to see if your LHS wants to buy your collection.

I have been selling off my stash since the 1st of November and am now about done.  Sold 71 kits, primarily 1/25 scale cars and trucks.  I used USPS Parcel Select Ground exclusively and the kits were delivered within 2 or 3 days except for 4 that seemed to be misdirected by USPS and they took 5 or 6 days.  I quoted $10 delivery cost for each listing.  Some ending up costing a couple bucks over $10 but about over 60 of them were shipped for less, most in the $7-$8 range.  You have to be careful to enter the proper info when listing to avoid any hassle or problem with the sale.  I used 2 lbs for the weight and bought boxes that measured 10x7x5 and never had a problem.

Thank you all of your words of encouragement. Carl, the box size you used is the same one I have and will handle about 90% of what I have. My son worked one of the biggest box suppliers in the country and I got a very good deal on them when i started this journey Two years ago. That's how long I've been holding out. With number of kits I have I'll get the wording correct very fast. I'm still updating the model list. Just found a couple of boxes with more in them. Geuss I wasn't as ready as I thought.

I'm updating the list of the kits that I have and should be done in a few days. Is anyone else interested in the updated version or even the old list. It will be a pdf so I will need your email. I will give everyone here a shot before I continue on Ebay.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have a link to a kit that I have for sale on Ebay for those who are interested. It is the Peerless logging trailer. The item number is 20023154458. Also thank you to those that gave me advice on sell the kits. The box lead was great but I have a connection with a large shipping company and get a great deal from them. Can't say who or no more deal. Gary