Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota Sprinter Bathurst 1984 with full detail

Hi Guys,

Here is the Toyota Sprinter that started 63rd and finished 26th in the 1984 Bathurst 1000 driven by Australian legend Bob Holden with co-driver Alexandra Surplice. 

This build took parts from these 3 different kits. The GT apex kit supplied the most parts with the wheels and racing interior coming from the TRD Levin. The Trueno kit supplied the Sprinter tail lights. Those Aoshima AE86 kits were pretty good to deal with with crisp detail and great fitment but they don't all come with engine detail so do your research if you want one with an engine.

fNUQze.jpg

This is the car in action.

E9xd56.jpg

and this is the model.

qmjZJI.jpg
aiI6Bh.jpg
RdTmg7.jpg
YcknF4.jpg
GAhYly.jpg
oMLZl4.jpg
3mx6Ar.jpg

4M8ao3.jpg

iYdjfw.jpg

0oyShO.jpg

Too many changes, tweaks and additions to mention and there is a lot of hidden detail on the engine that was ultimately a waste of my time but as we all know it just has to be that way.

I did the fabrication and the painting at the same time that I did this Corolla 1600 GT last year but I did the final construction just a couple of weeks ago.

It was good to finally finish this one after walking away from it last year and it makes a nice addition to my shelf.

Thanks for looking and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Cheers

ShawnS

• Like 8

Thanks guys.

I did document my progress and the extra work that went into this build so I will throw in some extra pics with explanations.

The kits come with full exhaust molded in to the underbody so I had to remove the exhaust and fill in the gaps.

rYrv2Y.jpg

The front suspension and cross member have a big guard molded with it and I had to remove the guard and rebuild the whole lot.

4IELvu.jpg

I removed the fuel tank from the underbody and rebuilt the area to represent the pressed steel floor of the 1:1 AE86

UDPqUB.jpg

I used the under bonnet bracing from ZoomOn.

L2eiew.jpg

Unfortunately the ZoomOn PE is made for the long nosed Trueno kit so I had to trim the front to fit.

ibrbhf.jpg

I got it to work.

36APju.jpg

The engine bay in the kits doesn't come with a detailed firewall so I had to make a new one. Also note in this pic the engine mount bases I added to the front cross member as the kit also doesn't come with any type of engine mounts and the steering shaft that I made as well.

VBjIqq.jpg

Engine detail in progress with the heater hoses and a water pump from a Fujimi BMW. This pic also shows the engine mounts that were scratch built too. Most of this is hidden on the finished model.

ZJTOdr.jpg

The oil cooler is more hidden detail.

hLzudB.jpg

Winged sump, dipstick, alternator with brackets, and a pulley and belt setup that is cut down from the original kit item. After the fan belt broke during assembly I replaced the pulleys with individual 3D printed items and used black tape for the fan belt. (sorry no pics).

pEhVqB.jpg

The stripped out interior in the TRD Levin kit doesn't come with door cards and the road car items weren't accurate for my model so I had to scratch build the door cards.

1VFVIV.jpg

1. The wheels were too deep so I had to fix that too.

2 and 3. To get the correct depth I made a spacer and glued it to the side of a razor saw and pressed it down firmly on the mat.

4. I gently moved the wheel across the saw blade to get an even cut around the wheel.

5. With the wheel now separated into two pieces I sanded them down to the correct width.

6. Original wheel on the left and the modified one on the right. The tyres come from the old Fujimi BMW M3 racing kit.

n9eVIn.jpg

And finally please don't think for a second that everything went well. Just as I peeled the tape off the roof after touching up some of the red paint the white paint decided to spectacularly let go of the roof. After 20+ years of using Tamiya TS sprays I had never seen this before. I stripped the paint from the rest of the roof and repainted the whole car except for the black and managed to prevent a full strip and repaint job. I was so annoyed that I walked away from the model for over a year.

GiINp9.jpg

There you go guys, just a little sample of the big effort I put into to this little car. Thanks for looking and thanks for your kind words and comments.

Cheers

ShawnS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...