Model Cars Magazine Forum

Williams FW23 BMW Formula One

Was looking for a quick build and this kit turned out to be the answer.  Revell 1/24  Williams FW23 from the  2001 season. Color is a mix of Mr Color #5 (75%) #322  (20%) and #65 (5%) . The kit plastic was left white and all was coated with  Tamiya LP49 Clear Pearl.  I enjoyed this kit due to its simplicity as the build only took 3 days.  Drivers  for this car were Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya. They enjoyed some success as both recorded their first F-1 victories with this car. Overall they won 5 races but only finished third  in the championship.  Below are more build particulars in the picture captions.  Thanks for looking. 

DSC08067.JPG.a5d7b98d6d694d2d2d56664b0203e643.JPG

Trying a new background  here. This panoramic view was taken at Watkins Glen. Plan to add more to it later.  Kit went together well and is a curbside. 

DSC08069.JPG.08bc3009f8b8f246fb1c27c9b88cfd82.JPG

Tires were not the best feature of this kit and some sanding  and varnish were needed to help them along.DSC08070.JPG.8d9f622ff80ebc3704495b10f12a513c.JPG

Decals were by Cartograph and I was surprised to see they didn't age well. A couple coats of varnish  got them off the sheet in one piece.  Silver decals are often quite thin and require very careful handling. Overall they eventually went on nice.  This is Montoyas ride. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Great to see one of these built!

I have one of the Revell Red Bull F1 cars that I just haven't gotten around to building yet.

Not sure I've actually seen any of these Revell F1 cars built before!

Dan...I bought all of the Revell F-1's as soon as they came out and have the whole collection. About half of them are built. seriously thought about doing that Red Bull before this one.  Just for your info...Tamiya went out of their way to match the Red Bull blue...its  TS-89.  I believe Revell has it in their line too. 

22 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking F1 car.  Really well done.

Thank you.

20 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Well done!

Thanks

20 hours ago, bbowser said:

Very nice!  I really like the Revell F1 kits, you did a great job.  How did you accomplish masking the 2 colors?  I was going to start this one but put it back in the box as I contemplate the paint work. 

Bruce....I used to put Tamiya tape right on the decal sheet and use it to cut the pattern.     That is....if I wasn't going to use the decal.  In this case I made a copy  of the sheet on my computer then laid clear packing tape over it to laminate it. This is so It would be easier to pull the tape off. Lay your Tamiya tape pattern on the model as if you were using the decal . Then fill in  what your pattern doesn't cover.  I use several kinds of mask. Tamiya tape is my "go to" but Parafilm,  drafting tape,  Nursie paper tape and even Saran Wrap.  Anything that won't leave a sticky residue. Hope this helps. 

7 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Nice one Rich. The FW23 was of the fast qualifier / not so fast racer variety. Not unlike a certain Ferrari these days!

Thanks Pierre.  This was when Williams was a force to be reckoned with.  Sad to see them gone. 

6 hours ago, slusher said:

Super nice, F1 !

Thanks Carl. 

6 hours ago, TonyK said:

Looks great! F1 cars always have such busy liveries and you did it well.

Thanks Tony.....I have always been a big F-1 fan and have many models. 

50 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Dan...I bought all of the Revell F-1's as soon as they came out and have the whole collection. About half of them are built. seriously thought about doing that Red Bull before this one.  Just for your info...Tamiya went out of their way to match the Red Bull blue...its  TS-89.  I believe Revell has it in their line too. 

Thanks for the paint tip! I had been wondering about matching that colour!

Awesome work!  This isn't the easiest kit to build for sure!

Looks like Revell never fixed their groove tires all these years though. ;)  At any rate, your FW23 is one great looking model!

Edited by cifenet

Another great looking racer from your bench, Rich!  I don’t have all of the RoG F1 kits but I have most of them.  I’ve built 2 of them so far and both have been nice kits.  I’m looking forward to seeing your next one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 12:16 AM, cifenet said:

Awesome work!  This isn't the easiest kit to build for sure!

Looks like Revell never fixed their groove tires all these years though. ;)  At any rate, your FW23 is one great looking model!

Thanks Steve....I actually picked this kit out of the stash because it looked like the easiest one to complete.  Sometimes this turns out to be true but most time not so much.  Every kit out there will slow you down somehow or another. 

On 5/31/2023 at 4:56 AM, Tommy124 said:

Nice build!

Thanks

On 5/31/2023 at 8:45 AM, Gramps46 said:

Well done as always Rich.  The background works well too.

Thank you Gary. That background is a work in progress. 

On 5/31/2023 at 9:26 PM, Nacho Z said:

Another great looking racer from your bench, Rich!  I don’t have all of the RoG F1 kits but I have most of them.  I’ve built 2 of them so far and both have been nice kits.  I’m looking forward to seeing your next one!

Thanks John. I bought them all as soon as they came out. I used to live right next to a hobby shop.  That could have been a blessing or a curse depending on which way you look at it.  In any case I still have some yet to do. 

On 6/1/2023 at 5:38 AM, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

First time to see a Revell F1 car. Great build. 

Thanks...theres more from where this one came from

On 6/5/2023 at 2:53 PM, Bainford said:

Nice work, Rich. You captured the look of the 1:1 very well. Digging the new back-drop, too. Very cool.

Thanks Trevor. I will be using that background for most of the race cars and improving it as I go along. 

16 hours ago, ToyTund2009 said:

Wow Rich, you build some killer F-1 cars, just saw the Revell Red Bull  kit you just posted. I have to find a couple of these to build, ( after some more practice). 

Thanks David. I have had 60yrs of practice (just turned 75) and have built steadily all those years. Those kits are still out there.  The Revell kits are the simpliest. Glad you liked all those builds.

14 hours ago, Paul Waymouth said:

Another great F1 build Rich…you must be digging deep into the stash as I don’t see these coming up for sale much nowadays 

You have no idea Paul. Way back when,   I bought all those kits with every intention of building them all. I retired almost two years ago and that dream is now coming true.