Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilding-Where to begin?

Hello everybody, I am still an amateur in the model building realm. Most of my builds are straight from the box with a little kit bashing occasionally. However I am wanting to become more advanced in my skills, especially for the types of builds I wish to complete. I was wondering what kinds of parts would be the easiest to learn to scratch build and the best types/sizes of styrene for these parts. 

46 minutes ago, olschoolkid said:

...I am wanting to become more advanced in my skills, especially for the types of builds I wish to complete. I was wondering what kinds of parts would be the easiest to learn to scratch build and the best types/sizes of styrene for these parts. 

First question is what are you interested in building?

Whatever it is, I'd suggest you start with small relatively simple parts, to get a feel for working with the materials and making things fit together.

Even very complex parts can always be broken down into simple shapes and assemblies.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 7

I concur with Ace. I will say, however, that it's impossible to know what materials you'll need, until you've a specific project, in mind. For starters, I'd recommend getting an assortment package of Evergreen sheet (if they still sell those). With sheet, you can easily cut strips, rather than try to anticipate what stock you'll need. It's also handy to keep in mind that, in 1/25 scale, .040" is equal to 1". Extrapolating from there, it's a breeze to determine what size(s) you'll need for a specific project. An assortment of rod, tubing and strip will also be useful. I've attached a very simple scratchbuilding project I put together for an old website. It can help you get a feel for it, without grinding your teeth, to nubs. I scratchbuild a ton of stuff--that's the most enjoyable aspect of the hobby, for me. I'd rather build something, than scrape a bunch of mold lines! But, that's just me! I'm happy to help, in any way I can.

Slapper Bars.jpg

• Like 3

You are getting some good advise and direction from those that have already replied.

I concur with @Ace-Garageguy , most complex shapes and assemblies can be made from much simpler shapes and smaller assemblies. It takes a bit of practice at first to be able to start to see these simpler shapes but once you develop the eye your will never the view the world around you in the same way. You will quickly develop the habit of picking up everyday items and wonder what you could make from it. 

A couple of good links with much food for thought on the subject of making model cars and scratchbuilding:

https://www.themotormuseuminminiature.co.uk/articles-and-projects.php

https://www.themotormuseuminminiature.co.uk/scratch-building.php

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

Cutting out doors and trunk lids then learning to make hinges is a decent first step. After I got that done many decades ago I moved on to making individual stacked leaf springs and shackles and spring mounts and making working suspension on classic cars. Course today's cars would be much more difficult. Also I might note that my hay day of that stuff is over and I'm now back to kit builds but with better paint work and eye for what should be full gloss, semi gloss or flat..

Ignition wiring is a good step to take. There was a time I made working head and tail lights, that would be easier today with tiny led lights, the smallest we had was grain of rice bulbs.

Exhaust pipes, headers. Throttle linkage or cables, fuel lines are all simple additions.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

...headers...are...simple additions.

I'd really have to disagree with this.

I have, let's say, a little experience, and to me, building a good set of custom headers in scale...or real...is one of the most challenging tasks I've come across.

And if anything, it's harder in scale.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

First question is what are you interested in building?

Whatever it is, I'd suggest you start with small relatively simple parts, to get a feel for working with the materials and making things fit together.

Even very complex parts can always be broken down into simple shapes and assemblies.

I agree.

Don't get too involved right off the bat with stuff that's too complicated and takes a half a dozen different materials, especially if it's a part that can easily be substituted from another kit.

As Bill stated, look for the basic shapes in a part and devise the best way to put the part together using those shapes.

Here are a couple of basic and relatively simple examples.

You can put together a pretty easy GM power steering pump with basically 3 shapes, starting with an appropriately sized plastic tubing or rod for the base.

With a little filing and sanding, you can make the "bottle" shaped portion from thicker plastic stock.

And finally, the cap from another piece of plastic rod.

Then, if yo wish, you can continue on to make things like mounting brackets pretty simply with thin plastic sheet and thin rod for bolts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 2

Here's another part that I recently made from just basic shapes as Bill suggested.

I needed a wiper motor for a '64 Pontiac, so rather than try to scrounge something from another kit, I decided that it was just as easy to make one from plastic sheet plastic.

It will do the trick very nicely.

I didn't take photographs as I progressed with this one, but you can pick out the individual shapes and pieces used for the overall part just by viewing the finished part's photographs.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 5

Scratch building can be a lot of fun.  It is about all that I do now, not because I don't like kits.  It's just that what I like to build, they don't generally make in kit form.

Give us a bit more information on what you would like to do.  Scratch building a part or two is one thing.  Scratch building a complete model is something else.  How far do you feel comfortable in going right now and where would you like to head?  Makes a big difference.

• Like 1

Right now I'm wondering what size tubing I would need for turbo plumbing. I also would like to know how to build an intercooler and turbo exhaust manifolds. I have a Dodge Ram VTS kit and would like to build a twin turbo 440 for it. I already have the turbos.

13 minutes ago, olschoolkid said:

Right now I'm wondering what size tubing I would need for turbo plumbing. I also would like to know how to build an intercooler and turbo exhaust manifolds. I have a Dodge Ram VTS kit and would like to build a twin turbo 440 for it. I already have the turbos.

I'd start by gathering photos of the real thing and see of there is a photo of the plumbing.  Use the photo as a relative measuring tool to get the size tubing you need.  Remember that it has to be in scale.  If you are doing 1/25 building, use a metric scale since 1 millimeter is close enough to be one inch in that scale.  

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'd really have to disagree with this.

I have, let's say, a little experience, and to me, building a good set of custom headers in scale...or real...is one of the most challenging tasks I've come across.

And if anything, it's harder in scale.

Ya I agree, the headers are a stretch not to be confused with first things to try scratch building for sure.

There has been much good advice here. Steve's handiwork is always impressive but it takes practice. My suggestion is to simply keep adding more and more tidbits to each successive build. That way you can also adapt to how much more time is involved to get the desired results. Awhile back I jumped too far into the details and while it gave me great (for me) results, it definitely  delays the sense of satisfaction of completing the build. I work in the trades. It always takes WAY more time to fabricate something than it does to assemble something.

• Like 2

Scratch building is not as daunting as many think. I started scratch building because I could not get a 1/16th scale model of a Bugatti Type 59 otherwise. The thing is to think of all those small assemblies to go on the model as little models in their own right. It is really making your own kit, but without instructions when you have to put it all together.

I would thoroughly recommend getting hold of Gerald Wingrove's first book The Complete Car Modeller 1. He works in metal, but most of what he does can be emulated with plastics. For example where soldering is shown, then on plastics it would be our usual regular cements and adhesives. But however, if contemplating scratch building seriously, then some investment is required in some small machinery, certainly a miniature lathe.

Rod and Ian Knott's sections about scratch building on their Motor Museum In Miniature website as recommended in an earlier post would be a very good starting point.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 2

Not sure how technical you want to get but you said scratch build so a spare parts box radiator cut to approx intercooler size and styrene parts tree bent to the shape of the hoses.  If you want to be more detailed measure the real diameters cross to scale and find solder the correct size.  It bends easy and is already silver.

Just a couple suggestions for you

Some more links to help you on your scratchbuilding journey:

https://www.youtube.com/@RVLTutorial/videos 

This one in particular this one showing the making of a motorcycle engine, simple tools, simple shapes layered and built up to make a much more complex shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcje7DFo_PQ

cheers, Graham

I recommend this post for inspiration. It's old so many of the photos have broken links but there are many pages so it's a great place to study. Some things are quite advanced and others quite simple. Some explain their processes.

Edited by Lunajammer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Big John said:

Yes indeed, even the small scraps can be useful for small parts like flanges. My shop is a testament to hording scraps of wire, plastics, metal, and resins of all kinds for detailing and scratch building.

I do the same thing, John.  I save every little piece.  It glues up so nice; if I make a mistake I take a scrap, glue it on and reshape what ever I messed up.  Fenders, engine blocks and details, cowls; comes in handy for all sorts of things.  I was fortunate enough a few years back to get a 4"x2"x24" piece of it and it has been a wonderful medium to use.

Same here Charles, Lucked into the same size slab and prize it highly.  The material is basically a pure extrusion of bondo so that works well as a filler also. Below is really an extravagance.

Bugatti typ-102 SLR Concpet WIP-05.jpg

Edited by Big John
aditional discription