Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Barracuda

I'm enjoying "Poker Face" (the new Rian Johnson TV series with Natasha Lyonne), and her car is pretty cool too. As far as I can see, the MPC originated kit is the only game in town for a 1969 'cuda fast-back. Does the Round 2 re-issue include all the parts to build a stock version? Anyone seen a review of the kit they can point me towards?

best,

M.

The original annual kit from 1968 (1969 model year) included a 225 six and a Race Hemi, both back by a Torqueflite. 

The c.1989 reissue includes a 383 (generic MPC Chrysler B/RB engine) back by a 4-speed. Stock rims were now the (so-called) "Recall" rims (rare in 1:1); tyres were B.F. Goodrich; custom rims are typical 1980's (yuck). 

The c.2017 reissue (Retro Box Art) includes the crossram intake (originally for the Hemi, I'd imagine it'd fit the 383), Hurst Dual-Gate shifter & consolette, better tyres, reproduction 1969 decals, and 'new' TorqueThrust rims (same are in the '68 El Camino, and other kits. Nice rims.).
This is the one to get.

I seriously doubt that Round2 will "fix" the shortcomings (which date to its origins), be it this (pending) reissue, or any subsequent reissues.

But, then again, nobody - myself included - believed for a New York Minute that the 1968 Coronet would ever see the light of day again...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carmak said:

This is an original issue 69 Barracuda.

I wish they would put the original side trim back on it.

I don't believe that I've ever seen a 1969 Barracuda - irrespective of its trim level - with that moulding. That's not to say that it didn't exist ; I've just never seen one so-equipped. 

Here's a link to Hamtramck Historical regarding changes & cancellations PIB%201%20p1.jpg

2 hours ago, Carmak said:

This is an original issue 69 Barracuda.

I wish they would put the original side trim back on it.

69 Barracuda side trim 01.jpg

69 Barracuda side trim 02.jpg

The intent of that may be to simulate a double pinstripe.  Paint the body, then drag an Exacto blade over it to scrape off the paint and reveal the double white stripes.

At least a couple other sixties kits had something similar.  I think the original stock AMT '66 Skylark GS had this.  Maybe also the MPC '67 GTO?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

It would be a true "jump for joy" moment if Revell were to tool a '69 Super Stock Hemi 'Cuda as a companion to their Dart kit. The MPC kit is one that doesn't wear its age well.

For the "factory" Hurst-built Super Stock cars, it would be the '68 Barracuda.

Probably the main reason it hasn't happened is wheelbase is shorter than the Darts.

Aside from possibly sharing engine/trans/differential/wheels, it would require a new body/chassis/interior tool for everything else.

9 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Probably the main reason it hasn't happened is wheelbase is shorter than the Darts.

Aside from possibly sharing engine/trans/differential/wheels, it would require a new body/chassis/interior tool for everything else.

My apologies on getting the year wrong. And yes, it would require an entirely new tool. We should expect nothing less.

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

My apologies on getting the year wrong. And yes, it would require an entirely new tool. We should expect nothing less.

Many of the 1968 Hemi A-bodies were modified cosmetically to "update" them to "1969" models (at least one of the Darts was "updated" to a "1970" by Dick Landy, and campaigned in A/MP). Those were campaigned in M/P or other, non-stock classes. In the case of the Landy "1969" Dart, that car was campaigned in S/SE.

Edited by 1972coronet
CLAIRIFICATION

16 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Many of the 1968 Hemi A-bodies were modified cosmetically to "update" them to "1969" models (at least one of the Darts was "updated" to a "1970" by Dick Landy, and campaigned in A/MP). Those were campaigned in M/P or other, non-stock classes. In the case of the Landy "1969" Dart, that car was campaigned in S/SE.

It has to be a 1968 to comply with the rules in Super Stock as it's the only year is was available for the Barracuda A-body, same with the A-body Dart.
It doesn't have to be an original BO29 or LO23 but it has to be a 1968, so any other year is not allowed for the Super Stock class.

AMT did a 1967 Barracuda and MPC did the 1968 and 1969, I don't know they are based on the same tooling but the MPC 1968 and 1969 share tooling and it's the body and body related parts that's different.

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

Anyone thinks its possible this is the version of the 69 Barracuda we may be getting?  The Hemi Under Glass?  Steve G ;  what are your thoughts on this?

I know it's not the H.U.G.  It is the MPC 1969 Barracuda customizing kit, last seen in 2016 as MPC832.

-Steve  

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, SteveG said:

I know it's not the H.U.G.  It is the MPC 1969 Barracuda customizing kit, last seen in 2016 as MPC832.

-Steve  

What are the chances of us seeing the MPC 67-69 HUG being resurrected from Round 2?

47 minutes ago, SteveG said:

-Steve  

I have that MPC832 Kit. Great Little kit. The Decals were very Nice. 

• Like 1

Any chance that Round2 will pitch the 6-lug "custom" rims from the c.1988 iteration, @SteveG? They're nice for an F-Series - a bonus for the pickup fellers - but, yeah... 

I like the 2016 issue's newly-added custom rims, but it'd be nice to see something like the Cragar GT's from the 1968 Coronet or - my favourite - the Spyder rims from the 1/25 scale MPC Firebird (1979 model ?) and others. 

23 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Anyone thinks its possible this is the version of the 69 Barracuda we may be getting?  The Hemi Under Glass?  Steve G ;  what are your thoughts on this?

MPC-Hurst-Hemi-Under-Glass 717-200_1599302016_5197.jpg

Other than the body (which was a repop of their ‘69 Promo body), most of that kit became the L.A.Dart and Hemi Hunter. There are some slight differences in the transmission and roll cage, and of course, this had Hurst wheels while the Darts had Cragars, so if you combine a newer ‘69 body with the chassis from one of the Darts, you get pretty close to this. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Other than the body (which was a repop of their ‘69 Promo body), most of that kit became the L.A.Dart and Hemi Hunter. There are some slight differences in the transmission and roll cage, and of course, this had Hurst wheels while the Darts had Cragars, so if you combine a newer ‘69 body with the chassis from one of the Darts, you get pretty close to this. 

That's good information, I had suspected that it had be repurposed into the L.A. Dart haven't had the chance to do a side-by-side comparison.   The big question now is if the '69 HUG body still exist.  If so, that would increase the chances of seeing it again greatly.  Right now, I'm knee deep in trying to resurrect another long-lost vintage drag subject, so this one will have to wait for now. 

-Steve

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 3:43 PM, 1972coronet said:

Any chance that Round2 will pitch the 6-lug "custom" rims from the c.1988 iteration, @SteveG? They're nice for an F-Series - a bonus for the pickup fellers - but, yeah... 

I like the 2016 issue's newly-added custom rims, but it'd be nice to see something like the Cragar GT's from the 1968 Coronet or - my favourite - the Spyder rims from the 1/25 scale MPC Firebird (1979 model ?) and others. 

I think it's already too far along in the process to make any changes, but I'll keep an eye out for another opportunity to get the Spyder wheels back into something.  

-Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SteveG said:

I think it's already too far along in the process to make any changes, but I'll keep an eye out for another opportunity to get the Spyder wheels back into something.  

-Steve

Would be a great wheel tire combo pack. 

9 hours ago, SteveG said:

That's good information, I had suspected that it had be repurposed into the L.A. Dart haven't had the chance to do a side-by-side comparison.   The big question now is if the '69 HUG body still exist.  If so, that would increase the chances of seeing it again greatly.  Right now, I'm knee deep in trying to resurrect another long-lost vintage drag subject, so this one will have to wait for now. 

-Steve

Steve....I recall there being more to the story here....it's played out in my Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits book which I do not have access to right now, but if my vague recollection is correct (always a risk these days!!!) the powertrain portions of the HUG vs. LA Dart et al are substantially different.  Will track down the book and post an update (or correction) soon....TB

Powertrain was changed quite a bit between the Hemi Under Glass and LA Dart.  Besides the whole setup being reversed (to put the engine behind the rear wheels), it was changed from fuel injectors to a supercharger, and the headers were changed.  There were other tweaks to the chassis also, like the roll cage being altered.  I believe the Barracuda had the back of the cage behind the shortened interior bucket, while the Dart has the whole cage inside the bucket.  I'm pretty certain most, if not all, of the engine was retooled including the block.