Model Cars Magazine Forum

You know they say online media will kill the print industry but I think the post office will put the final nail in the coffin by taking two months (or more or never in some cases) to deliver a magazine. Still waiting here in Canada for issue 220.

Oh, just blame it on lasting effects of COVID, or on the widespread ineptitude of employees and management of the Postal Services.  Those are the most frequently given excuses for all sorts of issues.  I still see all sorts of spotty supply problems for many unrelated items I am looking for.  The world is different than it was let's say 10 years ago,. And it is not for the better.

On 8/7/2023 at 8:20 PM, Dave Darby said:

By the way, for anyone wondering, The Vintage Workbench column took a break in issue 220 to allow more room for the GSL coverage. We will return for issue 221.

I have enjoyed Issue 220 but always look forward to Dave's column each month and was disapointed when it was missing.

Don

• Like 1

23 hours ago, peter31a said:

You know they say online media will kill the print industry but I think the post office will put the final nail in the coffin by taking two months (or more or never in some cases) to deliver a magazine. Still waiting here in Canada for issue 220.

I prefer having a physical magazine. something just feels wrong about taking a computer to the bog with you.

• Like 4

On 8/10/2023 at 2:44 PM, peter31a said:

I'm still waiting on issue #217 and all issues after that including #220.
I don't know what's going on but I subscribe to 3 magazines from the US and haven't got any of them the last year and a half and if I do it's very sporadic.
A couple of my friends have even recieved their missing issues of Rodders Journal a couple of weeks ago but no trace of mine so far and I don't know if I ever will get them, and the other magazines I subscribe to is this one and Fine Scale Modeler...I have a valid subscription on all of them but I don't get any of them for some reason so I'm starting to get frustrated over this. 
So I'm with you, the postal service will kill what's left of the printed magazine industry...at least for subscribers as I see no reason to subscribe if I don't get my magazines, digital...not for me.

On 8/15/2023 at 5:12 AM, bobss396 said:

I ordered mine from a CA hobby shop.. $14 later I have it

I ordered mine from Burbank's for quite a while before I subscribed. I would always rationalize it by buying a kit or two to cover the shipping of the magazine. I said it, I accept my weakness.

Have two LHS here. Management of one I think are functional illiterates that look at you like you suddenly grew a second head when you ask about MCM, and the other one is mostly military and games. Used to get the "old" MCM at Barnes and Noble.

• Like 1

I just received 220 today Wednesday August 16 in Victoria BC Canada after reading the digital version which I only learned yesterday that I had access to and drafting an email to subscriptions about the missing issue which I was going to wait until the end of the week to send. 

Great issue. Thanks to the MCM staff for all your excellent work.

13 hours ago, Rodent said:

I ordered mine from Burbank's for quite a while before I subscribed. I would always rationalize it by buying a kit or two to cover the shipping of the magazine. I said it, I accept my weakness.

Have two LHS here. Management of one I think are functional illiterates that look at you like you suddenly grew a second head when you ask about MCM, and the other one is mostly military and games. Used to get the "old" MCM at Barnes and Noble.

I hit the local bookstore 2x... no dice. They used to have the Scale Auto Contest Annual, is SA still in business, been a while for me. 

My local hobby shops are awful for anything but $40 car kits. Hobby Lobby has some scratch building stuff, but 40% off on kits at times. No car magazines at all anywhere, maybe some military stuff. One hobby shop is a few miles from me, I pick up glues and KS materials. And a hardware store 12 miles out has some KS and other materials. The other 2 "bigger" shops are 25 miles in opposite directions. One... zero model after market stuff. The other has about 1/100th of what I have and is mostly Pegasus wheels and tires.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:46 PM, bobss396 said:

I hit the local bookstore 2x... no dice. They used to have the Scale Auto Contest Annual, is SA still in business, been a while for me. 

No SA is defunct, so the only other magazine is FSM where they have some automotive stuff nowadays, not much but some.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Force said:

No SA is defunct, so the only other magazine is FSM where they have some automotive stuff nowadays, not much but some.

I need to get out more, SA was pretty good for a long time. They even had a forum, but I was done with forums for a very long time until recently.

On 8/20/2023 at 3:51 AM, Force said:

SA continued to produce the Contest Annual a couple of years after they closed their doors. Don't know if that is still the case.

On 8/24/2023 at 8:43 AM, Bainford said:

SA continued to produce the Contest Annual a couple of years after they closed their doors. Don't know if that is still the case.

The Contest Annual continues to be published (they just announced the next annual version) though under Fine Scale Modeler branding vs the previous SA nomenclature.  Big improvements over the last several versions, IMHO, on the photo captions that go with the images.  TB 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 6:12 PM, Force said:

Lo and behold, I got #220 in the mail today.
Now if I would get #217, #218 and #219 it would be fine because they are still missing.

I am sorry to say that I am still waiting for issue #220 to show up in Helsinki, Finland.

3 hours ago, Juha Airio said:

I am sorry to say that I am still waiting for issue #220 to show up in Helsinki, Finland.

The mail delivery over to Europe,  Sweden and Finland especially, seems to be very iffy and sporadic nowadays to say the least.
As you can see from my earlier post I'm still waiting for #217, #218 and #219 wich I haven't recieved and out of the last 10 issues I got 4 in the mail as it should, I've got replacements for a few but I'm still missing the ones listed above wich I've never got and I don't know if I ever will.
It's not only this magazine, I subscribe to a couple more with the same problem, among them Rodders Journal wich I know have sent out the two missing issues that was missplaced during their move to foreign subscribers, a couple of friends of mine got their copys back in early August...but I never got my copys and I still haven't and I don't know if they are disappearing into a black bottomless hole somewhere.
So it's something fishy going on and it worked a lot better before and during the Covid 19 pandemic than it does now.