Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was your first model car?

Cool Buick. That's one of those cars for which I am surprised there has been no decent 1/25 scale kit available.

I have been trying to identify my first model car for decades, but have yet to find one like it. There are some identifying features that I remember, particularly the wheels. It was 1971 and I was five years old. It was a 1/32 scale snap-together kit, molded in robins-egg blue, and I think it was a 60s T-Bird. The un-chromed wheels were a smooth disc with a single raised line bisecting the wheel. Sometime afterwards I saw a different model built by a friend, molded in white, with the same wheels, which leads me to believe the models were part of a series that all had the same generic wheels. Still looking.

• Like 1

i remember the 68 or 69 corvette was the first model that i built and painted. i brush painted it red with testors paint. i put it on so thick that there was no detail left. i was so proud of it, that i had it displayed on my shelf for years. 

i kind of wish i remembered exactly which kit it was so i could rebuild it. i would build it in red, even though today i very much dislike red cars. 

• Like 1

Far as I can recall, my first car model was the original Revell Ford wagon.

Vintage Revell 1957 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon Plastic Model Car ...

The multi-piece body was way beyond my skills, using tube gloo naturally, and I brush painted it so many times trying to get it to look better, the paint was probably thicker than the plastic.

Finally tried to strip it with Testors enamel thinner...which didn't go so well.  🤢

Didn't toss it though, just put it it a box. Still had it in the early '70s when all my model stuff went away through no fault of my own...other than picking the wrong significant-other.

I've since bought a couple gluebombs to restore, kinda rekindle its spirit by doing justice to one some other kid made a total mess of.  🤓

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

Revell 54 Hiboy and my dad had the AMT 57 Thunderbird. One of the few things we did together when he was still alive. I collected a handful of kits and got rid of all of them shortly after he died in my early teens. My first "collection" that i got rid of...1150505-26866-72-pristine.webp.62437cf7037c69e792fb163ac62a2c16.webp1007509-26394-15-720.webp.54989c0f3df9e9d2ed6037dfc31cab7d.webp

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You're asking me to identify something that I got about 52 years ago?!

I don't remember what I had for breakfast!

:D I still vividly remember playing with the red and green stamped metal dump truck I got for my second or third birthday...which I still have...just like this. :D

Vintage Tonka 1953 Dump Truck | Etsy | Tonka toys, Tonka, Tonka truck

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

:D I still vividly remember playing with the red and green stamped metal dump truck I got for my second or third birthday...which I still have. :D

I remember some of my old toys too.

I got a stuffed Snoopy dog when I was in the hospital with a shattered elbow for a couple of months when I was about 5.

Still have it.......although it looks like it has been run over by a convoy of dump trucks.

Mode kits?

I've probably had several thousand of them over my life time.

There's no way that I could ever pinpoint exactly which one was the first.

Although I do remember buying a string of the old AMT 1/32nd scale kits from the local five and dime when I was possibly 8 or 10 years old.

The name of the dime store in my little one horse town was "Pay and Take It".

Affectionately known as "Cob and Keep It".  :D

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My first 1/25th scale kits were the AMT '64 Galaxie Craftsman, molded in kind of a burgandy, and an AMT "Trophy" '49 Ford. I got them at the same time when I was 7 and had my tonsils out. I was able to put the '64 together, but Dad helped with the '49. He built a few kits in the early 1960s after having a work accident that left him pretty much disabled for about 3 years.

I had smaller scale kits, ships, and planes as well. I really don't remember if they came before or after the Fords.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

:D I still vividly remember playing with the red and green stamped metal dump truck I got for my second or third birthday...which I still have...just like this. :D

Vintage Tonka 1953 Dump Truck | Etsy | Tonka toys, Tonka, Tonka truck

Mine was Tonka too, wish I still had them...

tonka.jpg.909f8f87038397773baee26b121c2a74.jpg

Edited by Calb56
  • Like 3