Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was your first model car?

First one I remember was a 1/32 Lindberg Buick snap kit. 

I was maybe 5 or 6, and I remember my parents brought it in when I had a hospital stay and needed something to do.

Would have been early 1978.

Pic of what I believe is the kit. Random pic from google search.

s-l1200.jpg

• Like 3

The first model I built by myself was this issue of the Lindberg 1932 Ford pickup. It was molded in yellow with no chrome parts. I glued it together with no paint. I believe it was a birthday present, circa 1979.  I will say it had cool box art, though I doubt I appreciated it then ! There are a few bits and pieces from it still in my parts boxes. 

1151780-26866-67-720.jpg

Edited by larman
  • Like 3

First Model wasn't a car, nor did I build it. Christmas 1973 . Ertl Transtar 4070 a. Painted red and white by my dad Built by my mother. My mother gave me a photo that was taken when we were gifted our trucks (my older bro and myself). Using that photo I built one of the recently issued AMT Transtar 4070 a's took the same as the one that started my model building history.

DSC07313.JPG

Edited by ranma
  • Like 4

In late 1967 or early 68 (I was 6) someone bought me the MPC  '68 Barracuda. Tried to make it look like the box art with the wild pinstriping. I recently accquired another kit of the same, sealed inside (significantly more $). But it will be built at some point. 

• Like 2

I don't recall exactly what it was. I was five or six, and built it in my grandparents' living room, on a folding table. I remember the smell of the old of glue. Best I can guess was that it was the old Monogram Ferrari 275P(?). I remember it being red! It may have been the Aurora Berlinetta. The timeline for either one of those seems about right--'64-'66, somewhere. It would be another several years, before I discovered what a real passion I had for the hobby.

• Like 2

AMT 1967 Buick Riviera. $2.00 at Woolworth's. I was seven. No paint, just glued it together. My friend and I would build together on a card table in his basement. I remember painting outside while it was snowing one time. His Mother would always warn us that "it will all come to an end" if she smelled paint in the house. Never lost the passion to build, but adulthood got in the way until I finally set up a place to get back into it four years ago. This time with a paint booth. My wife is eerily similar to my friends Mother.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to mess around with my Uncle's model collection a bit, but it was not until they bought me this that I finally built something on my own. I was 6 years old! 

RMXH-1106 - Revell 1/32 VW Bug Snap Together Model - WWWWEB10108411

And if I remember correctly, this was my first actual glue kit, and I remember it did not end well. 

61461P1010092.JPG

Edited by Daddyfink
  • Like 2

amt1940ford 001

A Christmas gift in 1959.  I built it and took it apart several times.  The next one was a 60 Mercury that I paid $1.39 for.  After that one it is all a blur, I started receiving models for birthdays, Christmas and any other gift giving days.  But mostly, I bought them with money I earned mowing my Grandma's yard.

• Like 3

amt 40 willys coupe   12 years old   painted it green testors with a brush   my buddy who was way advanced looked at it and said why did you paint it with a brush dont you know they have model spray paints   well he was my hero and probably would have grown up to be a millner from american grafitti if he would have lived    he died in viet nam  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I still remember my first car kit. It was a Corvette C1 with the big scoop. I hand painted with brush on the black plastic and I still have it in pieces. And had a thought I’d renovate it but I think I should just glue it together as is as a memory🤔

built in the ‘90’s

this is the one: 

IMG_3985.webp.f709cc6f64ca28dde2bc406b2d5c96c2.webp

• Like 3