Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round2 July 2023

The Galaxie decal sheet has the "C" stripes and the gills to do the GT version, but no GT badges that I can make out on the sheet. Still a nice sheet. Would be nice to have correct mag hubcaps and a 429 4V engine instead of the two engines that were never made available for it. Not looking at the kit, the 428 maybe made to look like a 390 seeing how they share everything externally.

1 hour ago, THarrison351 said:

The Galaxie decal sheet has the "C" stripes and the gills to do the GT version, but no GT badges that I can make out on the sheet. Still a nice sheet. Would be nice to have correct mag hubcaps and a 429 4V engine instead of the two engines that were never made available for it. Not looking at the kit, the 428 maybe made to look like a 390 seeing how they share everything externally.

Never had this kit, but I think the stock engine is a "not fish nor fowl" AMT fantasy. The new box says 428, but the pictured exhaust manifolds are not FE. I don't recall what the original annual claimed it to be.

34 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Never had this kit, but I think the stock engine is a "not fish nor fowl" AMT fantasy. The new box says 428, but the pictured exhaust manifolds are not FE. I don't recall what the original annual claimed it to be.

As a ‘69, it should be a 429…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

As a ‘69, it should be a 429…

True, but the pictured engine on the box doesn't really look like either an FE or a 385. This one should probably just have the hood glued shut is you want an accurate stock version.

Fun fact: Ford used the 428 P.I. through the 1970 model year in Ford and Mercury police package cars, even though the civilian versions were 429s.

image.png.36e83482267253eb1db329cc6b475e77.png

6 hours ago, Rodent said:

True, but the pictured engine on the box doesn't really look like either an FE or a 385. This one should probably just have the hood glued shut is you want an accurate stock version.

I've built several over the years, never really noticed...looks like a Ford V8 to me...better than the '70 Galaxie kit which inexplicably has a Boss 429..

As a builder of Sci-Fi kits as well as cars I can say there's an amazing amount of kit specific aftermarket detailing kits, printed parts, lighting kits as well as very high quality decal sets available as well, so yes we have it pretty good. 

Edited by Phirewriter

Chad and the Round 2 team are holding court at a very impressive Round 2 display booth at the GoodGuys nats in Columbus this weekend.  They are located at the back of the main vendor building at the Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus, located next to the Model Car Contest and Make and Take run by Tom Dillion and his model car building team.  Check it out and say hello.....TB  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but it looks like some of the gates used in the '67-8 Galaxies were opened, including the exhaust system. That's a win for builders right there.

The C-stripes are great, wish they would have added the gold as well, which would be striking on a black body. For future reference, posting clear shots of the decal sheets and part breakdowns should be a mandatory.

As for the lack of detail in the '69 Galaxie annual (and subsequent releases) ...

By 1968 (when 1969 kits were in development) AMT was in free fall, despite the mythology of "we couldn't keep up with the business..." Promo contracts were shrinking rapidly and orders were plummeting, while competitors. like MPC were ramping up. AMT was also digesting significant financial losses from their slot car adventure with Dynamic, which took on water nearly as soon as the ink was dry on the deal. Societal trends of the late '50s became giant headwinds a decade later. 

Net: Where once the Galaxie kit was a flagship of AMT annuals, by the '69 model year they were cutting part count and scaling back tool development as fast as possible. So... no 385-series engine, no deluxe wheel covers, just a one-piece promo interior shell, one-piece chassis, two wire axles and four screws. To be fair, this was happening across the line - compare the '66 Rivvi annual to the '69 in parts count and accessories.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2023 at 8:07 PM, monza77 said:

I am envious of the SciFi kit builders. They get gold and chrome foil decals and we get to try and foil the scripts that are stuck on the sides of most manufacturers car bodies.

Hasegawa, Tamiya, and other such manufacturers have long included self-adhesive metal transfers in their kits for small scripts. That builders of American car kits haven't demanded similar levels of convenience from domestic manufacturers has always baffled me to a degree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

Hasegawa, Tamiya, and other such manufacturers have long included self-adhesive metal transfers in their kits for small scripts. That builders of American car kits haven't demanded similar levels of convenience from domestic manufacturers has always baffled me to a degree.

Me too as in some cases it paves the way to more trim levels, while engraving is kind of a one trick pony. But having said that sometimes decals will do the same trick, tho without the 3D feel the transfers or the 3d decals ( like archer did)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

Cause that would have made their $1.69 kit closer to $3 and Armageddon would have ensued...obviously.

I mean just a few posts ago there was a celebration about additional exhaust parts in a 56 yr old kit being a "win". (No offense, just making a point)

I'm keen on those adhesive emblems/scripts -- much easier than fiddling with P.E. and all of that cutting popping and cursing... and that's before attempting to apply those things to the surface. 

I wonder how many among us - notoriously cheap lot we are - would be willing to spend a little more to have a kit with those (wonderful) adhesive emblems/scripts ? I'd gladly give another, say, $5 over the kit cost (okay, I'm Welsh, so there's that to consider).

• Like 2