Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage 56 Camaro - Le Mans 2023

This my attempt at building a model of the Hendrick Garage 56 NASCAR Camaro that raced at the 2023 24 Hours of Le Mans. It is based on a SalvinosJR kit.

1376188610_2023-07-2912_17_39.thumb.jpg.f691b1b97a75cfddc5aa08ef5a9717e6.jpg1894659840_2023-07-2912_19_02.thumb.jpg.9819d615913db52195ac98f9972747b8.jpg319935944_2023-07-2912_18_12.thumb.jpg.cfa05c46060e4af78588fd245675697d.jpg1844901757_2023-07-2912_19_17.thumb.jpg.afccaa55f2855a73de8e11fde9f31b83.jpg2020110514_2023-07-2912_26_57.thumb.jpg.17cdc1fce8495f74a25ce0e6f3dea52b.jpg1542597432_2023-07-2715_11_22.thumb.jpg.7e1724d6ee7e9bce0b2fd322a0db43c9.jpg

ALTERATIONS & ADDITIONS

Front splitter extended

Rear diffuser extended and two strakes added

Front grills from a diecast

Headlights fabricated

Tow rings front and rear

Rear warning light

Cut in NACA ducts on rear fenders

Removed Cup fuel tank and filler location

Fuel filler mounted in right side rear window

Fabricated fuel tank and piping mounted midships

Eliminated bump draft bumpers

Roof fins

Aluminum exhaust tips

Seat belts

Hood pins

Photo-etched windshield wiper

Roll cage padding

Two information panels ahead of steering wheel

Flexible window net

Tamiya Bright Blue and Satin Black

Homemade Ink Jet decals using adapted Internet images

SALVINOS JR GARAGE 56 ADDITIONAL PARTS BY JIM ROGERS

Front dive planes

Rear canard wings

Side Mirrors

Side valance flares

Taillights

Electronics Panel

Steering wheel

Rain tires

CONCLUSION 

I really enjoyed this project and its challenges

I am pretty satisfied with the resulting model 

I am very impressed with this SalvinoJR kit and its designer Jim Rodgers

I now have a much better understanding of the NASCAR NextGen cars

2023-07-29 12.26.25.jpg

• Like 9

Congrats Phil on a challenging build. It was just a while ago I saw the beginning stages and it’s now it’s done in that eye popping scheme! A neat addition to your collection of historic race vehicles!

Cheers Misha

18 hours ago, TonyK said:

Very well done! Good for you!

Thanks Tony

18 hours ago, bbowser said:

Wow!  Great conversion.

Thanks Bruce

18 hours ago, Jim B said:

That's awesome! Very well done. 

Thanks Jim

15 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Very impressive. How long did it take to build it?

Thanks Bill - I was thinking the same thing. wish I had kept track of how long it took me. It was built over the course less than two months and by notes in my calendar I was at my workbench on 20 separate days for an average of 2 to 3 hours at a time so I will estimate 50 hours. Plus there was time researching.

9 hours ago, Misha said:

Congrats Phil on a challenging build. It was just a while ago I saw the beginning stages and it’s now it’s done in that eye popping scheme! A neat addition to your collection of historic race vehicles!

Cheers Misha

Thanks Misha - Good to see you posting again. If you did not notice - Danno wants you to contact him,

6 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, randyc said:

Is there any way to get Salvinos to offer this in a kit?  I'd love to have that.

1 hour ago, Duane Garner said:

Other than the decals, they basically already do. Salvinos JR has the NASCAR Camaro and Jim Rogers (the "JR" in Salvinos JR) offers the 3D printed parts for the conversion by email

Yes I agree with Duane. If a good set of decals was available, a very close replica could be built just using the SalvinosJR NASCAR Camaro and Jim Rogers great 3D printed parts. You could even skip the extended front splitter and rear diffuser, NACA ducts and few other small details and most people would not notice.

19 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Yes I agree with Duane. If a good set of decals was available, a very close replica could be built just using the SalvinosJR NASCAR Camaro and Jim Rogers great 3D printed parts. You could even skip the extended front splitter and rear diffuser, NACA ducts and few other small details and most people would not notice.

I'm pretty far out of the loop on the Salvinos stuff.  My NASCAR days are mostly past.  But I would do the LM car.  

On 8/7/2023 at 7:00 PM, slusher said:

Great build!

Thanks Carl

21 hours ago, randyc said:

I'm pretty far out of the loop on the Salvinos stuff.  My NASCAR days are mostly past.  But I would do the LM car.  

Thanks Randy - I can highly recommend any of the SalvinosJR NextGen NASCAR kits for an interesting and rewarding  building experience.

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

Thanks Randy - I can highly recommend any of the SalvinosJR NextGen NASCAR kits for an interesting and rewarding  building experience.

I'm going to do a Ford.  Apparently I'm a Ford guy AND I think it will look interesting beside my Mustang GT4 and Lemans GT builds

1 hour ago, Lobo2me said:

Very cool! The host of modifications and details are impressive and the build clean and tight. You turned a Left Turn Fender Slapper into a sophisticated 24 Heures du Mans contender.

Well done!

Thanks Steve - I really like your comment - " You turned a Left Turn Fender Slapper into a sophisticated 24 Heures du Mans contender."

Phil -- Great job on this -- just an FYI to everyone, STS decals has a set of this livery, you'll have to airbrush the sliver fade over the Blue on the sides, but all the other graphics are there. I think they also have a set of decals for the 'prototype' car. Contact Terry at STS Decals. Hope this helps,

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 8:43 PM, Duane Garner said:

Just saw the 3 Amigo's now produces a set of decals for the G56 LeMans Camaro

Thanks Duane - I checked them out and they look very nice. Will require some fancy painting but looking forward to seeing a completed Garage 56 build using these decals.

Have a look at

3 Amigos Decals #24 GARAGE 56 2023 CAMARO 24 HOURS OF LE MANS Decal Se – Print it Decals

image.png

Edited by Phildaupho

• 5 weeks later...