Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Newly Tooled Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

baycolony

On 8/21/2023 at 8:22 PM, vamach1 said:

Great job and attention to detail on the grille and tail light panel.   The kit has some very small decals and I wonder how many will really adhere (e.g. on the horse in the grille and gas cap).

Rex...I too was concerned about this, but with MicroSet and MicroSol, they all worked perfectly....TB 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 8:32 PM, baycolony said:

I have been waiting for this one for a long time and finally have it on my bench.  I plan to paint this with paint from MCW in factory Ford color "Medium Yellow Gold."  In my opinion older Mustangs don't look good in yellow but these are the exception.  I originally was going to go with a black interior but I am now leaning toward "ginger."  Finally, I am considering doing something a little different and using the standard Ford hub caps and chrome rings. 

71boss (5).jpg

Gil...really good to see the effort and results you are achieving with your build of this kit. 

FWIW I too was concerned about the lower bodyside blackout and had planned to paint these separately.  However as i had a time constraint with my project, i ended up using the decals that go along the lower bodyside on the area ahead of the front wheel openings, between the front and rear openings, and between the rear openings and rear pan/bumper.  Not only did they applywihtout issue, but there was enough material to wrap around the edges (lower bodyside and wheel openings).  i had no issues with opacity given my base color replicating 1971 Ford Bright Red, but I can see how a brighter color might be a bit worrisome. 

Also, glad to see you caught the distinction of no chrome accent around the headlamp openings.  Looking foward to seeing this area completed in this manner.  

In all, great progress and go, go, go!!!!   TIM  

• Like 1

Thanks Tim!  FYI, I just noticed and read your article on FSM regarding this build and I have to say it was pretty comparable to what I envisioned and am encountering before reading it.  the other issue, which you also mentioned, is the black surround on the hood.  I have already painted it Matte Black and applied the decal whilst trying to blend in the correct sheen and I don't know that I am satisfied yet. That being said.  I may elect to clear coat everything, mask around the whole black area and recoat.  We will see, but I should have more on this later in the build.

Bob, I don't recall how much they were since I had purchased them a while back for a future build.  If you check their website I would imagine they are still for sale.

This next update shows some progress with the body and the wheels.  I have added the decals to the body and used bare metal foil for the chrome trim.  For the lower blacked out sections I painted the black as shown previously but only added the pinstripe portion of each section from the decals.  The hood decal was also added and appeared glossier than the satin black that i painted on the hood. After sanding down the ridge that was formed after painting the black, I hand painted some Vallejo satin clear over the black decal section to try to blend the sheens.  It isn't really noticeable at a glance, so I may be satisfied with this.   Also, I have finished the Fireball wheels with Alcad Polished aluminum over a black gloss base. I then used a black wash to darken the lettering and rings.  I also added small valve stems.  To install the wheels, I had to shave down the back to allow them to fit into the tires.  The tires were also sanded down to depict wear.  BTW, I didn't use the Shabo dry tranfers because they didn't perform well after being stored so long, so I used the kit decals which performed perfectly. One note for those building this kit:  If you notice the holes in the trunk that were drilled for the rear spoiler, take note that one has to drill them at an angle or widen the lower part of the hole on the inside or the spoiler supports, which are angled in opposition to the trunk, or they will not fit flush. 

1971 boss body (4).jpg

1971 boss body (1).jpg

1971 boss body (2).jpg

1971 boss body (3).jpg

1971 boss wheels.jpg

Edited by baycolony
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got the drive train and chassis finished. I was very impressed with the level of detail and fit of the parts, especially the suspension parts which sometimes can be problematic with final stance if they are not positioned perfectly. These seem rock solid. For the engine I have added some plug wires, a PVC hose, fuel line, and battery cables to the battery and solenoid. The callout for intake manifold color in the instructions (blue) is obviously wrong, and should be aluminum. The Carburetor is one of the best OOB I have ever seen and is a shame it won't be visible with the air cleaner assembly attached. I painted the chassis with red oxide primer and black over spray. The suspension and drive train components were decorated with factory paint inspection markings.

boss351engchass (1).jpg

boss351engchass (2).jpg

boss351engchass (3).jpg

boss351engchass (4).jpg

boss351engchass (5).jpg

boss351engchass (6).jpg

boss351engchass (7).jpg

• Like 10

Amazing attention to detail high lighting the potential for going above and beyond adding the wiring, vacuum hoses, pvc hose, and battery cable.  Looking forward to the interior and your completed build.  The “stock” wheels and trim ring and hub caps are a  nice touch too.

So as promised, I completed the interior in "Ginger." I used some Vallejo Military colors to get the right tones as I noticed that reference pics showed varying subtle color differences. This interior also brought with it the challenge of a multicolored dashboard. This required a lot of detail painting. I also replaced the directional lever with a piece of brass rod. One note: The wood grain decal surrounding the middle instrument cluster fits very poorly and i ended up supplementing it with matching paint. It may be easier to just paint the area. If you choose to use the decal you need to cut out the openings for the 3 gauges prior to applying. I am nearing the end. I hope you enjoy the pics.

1971 Boss Interior (1).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (2).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (3).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (4).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (5).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (6).jpg

1971 Boss Interior (7).jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1