Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is this a good airbrush?

"Good" is a relative term. Is the one in your link an affordable air brush? Yes, but how good it is remains to be seen. It looks like a knock-off product.

If your budget is truly $40,  you won't be able to get an air brush from most of the name brands typically regarded as good quality/entry level. I bought a Paasche VL kit many years ago (early 80's) for $69 and that sucker still works to this day. While there are certainly better air brushes than mine, I have definitely got my money's worth, with the added bonus that if I need a part it is still available and failure of a single part doesn't render it trash. The same Paasche VL is available minus accessories with a #3 tip for not much more than the one in your link:

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-Airbrush-VL-Double-Action/dp/B0935BY6WY/ref=sr_1_7?crid=PC9XLLRJR0SY&keywords=paasche%2Bvl&qid=1692029821&sprefix=paasche%2Bvl%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-7&th=1

That link gets you just the air brush- you'll also need a jar, a lid (that holds the siphon tube) a hose and an air source. The kit includes all of those pieces minus the air source, and while it costs more it is a made-in-US product that will withstand some use over many years. 

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-Airbrush-Double-Action-Siphon/dp/B08XQHMSQV/ref=sr_1_41?crid=1KDF5MBWVFG4Y&keywords=paasche%2Bvl&qid=1692031158&sprefix=paasche%2Bvl%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-41&th=1

Milo, from your posting history, appear to be enthusiastic about your model building. I believe you might benefit from some airbrush instruction that covers the various types, how they work and their pluses and minuses. Try typing "youtube types of airbrushes" into a browser and viewing some of the suggested videos.

• Like 1

I have this budget price AB from Amazon

It is built of quality materials and performs flawlessly

• 31isgeQV9mL._AC_.jpg

Gaahleri Airbrush Kit Advanced Series GHAD-39, Airbrush Gun Dual-Action Gravity 1/2 & 1/4 oz Fluid Cup, 0.35 & 0.5 mm Needle, Cost-Effective Air Brush Set Makeup Nail Art Painting Model Coloring Cake Decor
Its $45 currently

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

2 hours ago, Milo said:

It's Chinese stuff. But the airbrush is probably half decent. The compressor would be good for blowing bubbles in a fish tank.

Edited by Dave G.

2 hours ago, gman said:

For entry level yet good quality air brushes, look at sets by Badger, Paasche, Iwata.

https://spraygunner.com/airbrush/

^^ this vendor will have some across the whole price spectrum

I agree. Wait till you  can get one of those brands. One problem with low quality products is they don't always work. Which could be very frustrating when starting out.

Second what issues are you having with the testors airbrush. You might try searching on YouTube for videos on trouble shooting that airbrush. What are you using for an air supply for the testors.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

35 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I believe Milo was referring to the Paasche VL that Greg linked, which requires a siphon bottle.

IMG_6903.jpeg

I bought a VL kit a while back, airbrush only kit since I have air  etc and been airbrushing for decades. The kit came with a metal side cup and bottles, also an adapter from the dedicated Paasche threads to Iwata/1/4. Also a quick disconnect. I bought it for art work but with the smaller needle and tip installed it's great for models too. I generally do buy syphon brushes, I have one gravity feed but rarely use it. I use a metal side cup a lot on the Badger 200, Paasche H and this VL though. The Paasche airbrushes are built very robust and to me with decent fit and finish, good chrome too. At least the two I own.

I bought my VL at Amazon, with prime it came next day as I recall.

4 hours ago, Milo said:

I use that same airbrush, and I like them.  I can get decent quality finishes with mine, I think:

1689027528152.jpg.29d0f6ab35e6153da96e1dc795120cc2.jpg

D95B3962-5982-47E9-9FE6-C6BEB24553B3.thumb.jpeg.04fffd9a39f7ac44f66781fa544a1a3e.jpeg

15B3B4CE-CAA9-4D7F-AB8E-3B5176478D53.thumb.jpeg.f528334172980db56449bcc438e4edc8.jpeg

I would buy that same airbrush with a better compressor, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Timbertech-Airbrush-Compressor-AS18-2-Decoration/dp/B07VSFZVRH/ref=sr_1_5?crid=EDZFMAKJPLSQ&keywords=airbrush+compressor&qid=1692043091&sprefix=airbrush+compressor%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-5

In fact, that's exactly what I bought, and it works well for the majority of my projects...not the fanciest setup, but user friendly and not super expensive

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I use that same airbrush, and I like them.  I can get decent quality finishes with mine, I think:

D95B3962-5982-47E9-9FE6-C6BEB24553B3.thumb.jpeg.04fffd9a39f7ac44f66781fa544a1a3e.jpeg

15B3B4CE-CAA9-4D7F-AB8E-3B5176478D53.thumb.jpeg.f528334172980db56449bcc438e4edc8.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Timbertech-Airbrush-Compressor-AS18-2-Decoration/dp/B07VSFZVRH/ref=sr_1_5?crid=EDZFMAKJPLSQ&keywords=airbrush+compressor&qid=1692043091&sprefix=airbrush+compressor%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-5

In fact, that's exactly what I bought, and it works well for the majority of my projects...not the fanciest setup, but user friendly and not super expensive

Why yes- yes you can ;) (I am familiar with your work)

I have zero experience with the airbrush OP linked, so I thank you for weighing in. 

I was thinking about upgrading my airbrush one day, not to replace the old trusty Paasche but to add an extra tool to the tool box. Unfortunately, the one calling to me is somewhat more expensive but I'm hoping the fan pattern does the trick for painting bodies.

https://spraygunner.com/airbrush-kits/by-type/gravity-feed/gsi-creos-mr-airbrush-procon-boy-ps-290/

While I won't pull the trigger on one immediately (more of a want vs need), there are a few users here on the forum who seem to like them. 

15 hours ago, CabDriver said:

For $74 at Amazon you can get this one with a tank on it, then when/if you want to move to something like a Paasche H or VL etc. the compressor should keep up. This is a Point zero. Sponsored Ad - PointZero 1/5 HP Airbrush Compressor with Air Tank, Regulator, Gauge and Water Trap - Quiet Portable Pump

Course with all my writing in this thread I suppose it's worth noting that I don't use an airbrush rated compressor at all. I use a 4.9 cfm portable 8gal compressor that will run nail guns and my LVLP spray guns. Airbrushes are secondary and basically insignificant to this compressors output. I air it up and then shut it off for airbrushing.

Edited by Dave G.

Airbrushes are like anything else.  You only get what you pay for unfortunately.

However, there are some good air brushes that are inexpensive (relatively) from trusted makes like Paasche and Badger.

Take a really cold hard look at what you want the airbrush to do for you first, and buy the best that you can afford to suit is the only advice that I can offer.

Consider second hand quality ones as another option. They come onto the market normally in very good condition when owners sell on to upgrade.

7 hours ago, Dave G. said:

For $74 at Amazon you can get this one with a tank on it, then when/if you want to move to something like a Paasche H or VL etc. the compressor should keep up. This is a Point zero. Sponsored Ad - PointZero 1/5 HP Airbrush Compressor with Air Tank, Regulator, Gauge and Water Trap - Quiet Portable Pump

That's a great choice too - I have one of those also, and the tank means you don't have to listen to it chug chug chugging away constantly as you work, like the tank-less version. 

The one without the tank fits under my little bench better though, so that's what I use 99% of the time 😁