Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Ferrari 250 TR sn 0756TR

Wheels: Narrowed rims from a 1/24 Burago / Deagostini Ferrari 250, painted silver. Herb Deeks photo etched spokes. Danbury Mint 250 TR chrome knockoffs.

Tires: Dunlops from Revell ’29 Ford rat-rod pickup. Whitewall inserts sectioned / narrowed to slim them down to about half thickness. Then, Monogram Jaguar XK120 whitewall inserts with Dunlop script added in front of the Revell inserts. Their ID matches the Burago rims and OD matches the Revell tires.

Front Suspension: Drop spindles made from brass rod and tubing to lower the front end 3mm and shift the wheels forward 1mm in the wheel wells. Drilled and tapped for buttonhead allen screws to attach the wheels. Steering rack modified with new tie rod ends to maintain the working steering.

Rear Suspension: Coil springs removed, replaced with stainless wire wrapped around a machine screw, lowering the suspension by 2mm.

Engine: Carburetors replaced with Webers by Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland. Modified intake manifold. Fuel line added. Distributors are part Danbury Mint and part RMCOM, with plug wires and ignition coils added in the firewall. One of the more difficult tasks was drilling spark plug holes in the cylinder heads, which are pretty thick metal. Repainted the cam covers from a hideous pink shade to wrinkle red. Prototypically correct chassis bracing added around the engine compartment, made from soldered brass tubing.

Interior: White scale ignition wiring used to represent white piping on the seats. Seat belts from Gofer Racing. The fuse panel under the right side of the cowl with Magnetti Marelli voltage regulator and so forth actually came from a Burago 250 Testarossa, which isn’t good for much else! 😊

Body: Added #46 racing number, correct for the car this represents; serial #0756TR. Also added the Pegasus decals on the head rest and printed the number on the back, as seen at Pebble Beach. What else? I did add one exterior mirror on the driver’s side, matching the full-size Ferrari. Great car, regular vintage racer for over twenty years when owned and campaigned by Dr. Lou Sellyei, a world renowned eye surgeon from Reno. He passed away in 2015. Way back in 1987, it was featured on the cover of Road & Track magazine. I always wanted to build a model of the car and finally have, by modifying a Danbury Mint diecast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Well done, Tim - the wheels together with the lowered stance make a HUGE difference !

Can't wait to see what you will do with the Bburago 250 TdF...

Thank you, Helmut! The TDF is waiting it's turn, patiently, with replacement wheels and tires and lowered stance definitely part of the plan.  😄

• Like 1

Gary, Dave-B, David Rogers, Chris, Paul, Phillip, Carl, Helmut, Steve, Rich, James, Garry, Hanjo, Rattle-can-Dan-Donato, and JC Reckner-

Thank you, Gentlemen!!! Your kind words and thoughtful comments have been GREATLY appreciated. It's been a rough couple weeks for me at work. I did 12 days straight, around 130 hours, on a large Hospital I.T. ugrade. The last two weeks were the culmination of a year long project.

Last Monday I was pretty tired. I really had to push myself to go ahead and shoot the photos and get them posted. I am so glad I did! You guys made it all worthwhile. Thank you again,

-TIM-