Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 62 Corvette

Yeah Nah

Yeah, I know the old AMT doesn't hold a candle to the much newer Revell kit, but I still believe with a bit of love, dedication and a ton of patience, a reasonable model can result (plus you get fun build options!).

To compare the quality and accuracy difference of the two kits, check out Greg's recent post of his excellent Revell build: 

20230916_121941.jpg

20230916_121948.jpg

20230916_121956.jpg

20230916_122004.jpg

20230916_122031.jpg

20230916_122101.jpg

Edited by Yeah Nah
  • Like 5

Looks really good and love the hardtop.  I think the only thing that always stood out to me on the AMT kit is the headlights.  They never quite look correct like too small or something.  You did a beautiful job on that build.  

• Like 1

Beautiful looking paint color and finish. Clean trim. I agree with you about this being unable to hold a candle to the Revell '62 Corvette but remember the time frame of this designed in '62 and the Revelle kit design that is far more resent. This still builds into a great looking kit if the time is devoted to it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drodg said:

Looks really good and love the hardtop.  I think the only thing that always stood out to me on the AMT kit is the headlights.  They never quite look correct like too small or something.  You did a beautiful job on that build.  

Thanks David. I probably spent more time on the headlights than any other part of the car. Enlarging them and reshaping the body around them to make the stick out more helped a lot.

37 minutes ago, Yeah Nah said:

Thanks David. I probably spent more time on the headlights than any other part of the car. Enlarging them and reshaping the body around them to make the stick out more helped a lot.

Great job

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 9:38 AM, drodg said:

Modelhaus used to sell bezels for bigger headlights. Thet being said, Revell and AMT 1959 can offer rplacement bezels. When AMT reissued this kit in  1967, they removed the separate bezels, added removable hardtop, eliminated the trunk and called it Trophy series. Along with it came the 1961 Galaxie convertible also then called it a Trophy series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Modelhaus used to sell bezels for bigger headlights. Thet being said, Revell and AMT 1959 can offer rplacement bezels. When AMT reissued this kit in  1967, they removed the separate bezels, added removable hardtop, eliminated the trunk and called it Trophy series. Along with it came the 1961 Galaxie convertible also then called it a Trophy series.

Thanks for that info Bob. I only took a serious interest in model cars 10 years or so ago so I really appreciate any history on these kits.