Model Cars Magazine Forum

PEARSON/ WOOD BROTHERS 73 MERCURY CYCLONE

gks1964

Great build. Love this car. In 1973 season, this Mercury earned the second highest win percentage (18 races, 11 wins, 14 top 5s) of all time for a single car and driver.

Any guesses which driver and which model car hold the record. It isn't Petty in '67. Like Pearson, our winner did not run a full season.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Johnny Canuck said:

Great build. Love this car. In 1973 season, this Mercury earned the second highest win percentage (18 races, 11 wins, 14 top 5s) of all time for a single car and driver.

Any guesses which driver and which model car hold the record. It isn't Petty in '67. Like Pearson, our winner did not run a full season.

I'll put Pearson ahead of Petty as the greatest driver since he often ran a partial schedule and racked up significant wins. He wasn't called The Silver Fox for nothing. A very calculating driver IMO.

• Like 1

So, no guesses yet to my Mercury-inspired trivia question as to which driver and which car enjoyed the greatest success rate in the events they entered over the course of one single season.

Already gave one clue: didn't run a full season. Here's another: He's a Hall of Famer.

Edited by Johnny Canuck
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Interesting face about Pearson's race cars.... They always had a cigarette lighter.   david70_1-vi.jpg

I read that Dick Trickle had one in his cars too. He smoked when he drove.... I knew lots of short track locals that would light up during yellow flags.

Here's one... there was a southern driver, Neil Castles that drove with a pistol in the car.

• Like 2