Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 next year

Mr mopar

3 hours ago, espo said:

Hi James, I'm interested in your information about the CHP Chargers. I was wondering if they are using the V-6 engine or the 5.7 Hemi?  I owned a 2010 Charger RT with the all-wheel drive system. Great car and drove it to just short of the 100k mark. I wanted to replace it with a new '22 Charger but was told that the AWD could only be had with the V-6 engine. I know that at times Law Enforcement can get combinations that civilians can't. 

The AWD Hemi Pursuit lasted until 2022, it was dropped from the Civilian car after 2015 I believe. It's also my understanding that these last CHP Chargers are V-6s as that's the only way the 2023 AWD cars came as the production ended. There aren't very many of them, most of them are assigned to the Academy for Driver Training.

Most Police Chargers are V-6s in actuality, they vastly outsold the Hemi Chargers regardless as to how many wheels got power.

My understanding is also this new kit doesn't actually have the AWD added to it, so it's a RWD Hemi car with wheels that didn't come on it. CHP did use RWD Chargers in 2021, but they are equipped with the requisite RWD steelies.

2023-10-14_05-19-18.jpg.b552854dabf5ffbb06ca93be4ce4d358.jpg

Edited by niteowl7710

21 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

If you want to be closer to accurate, the Police Steelies from the Lindberg Charger will work, Ive done my test fitting on the R/T version.

I always found the Lindberg police wheels (both steelies and full wheel covers), to be too flat - that is, not concave enough. I really hope the AMT kit comes with RWD wheels as well. 

7 minutes ago, av405 said:

I always found the Lindberg police wheels (both steelies and full wheel covers), to be too flat - that is, not concave enough. I really hope the AMT kit comes with RWD wheels as well. 

Indeed, they are on the flatter side.

Edited by martinfan5

16 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Indeed, they are on the flatter side.

There are two wheel choices in the upcoming Charger Pursuit along with two different light bars.  The other wheel option is the Street Appearance covers that fit the small hole open wheels.  At the time of the of development of this kit (same time as the R/T) which is based on Dodges 2021 Pursuit Demo car, the information I had was the small hole open wheels were going to be used across the board on all drive train option.  Our 3D data comes from their licensing and marketing, not from engineering.  Obviously, I was disappointed that was not the case.  My first plan was to do the 5 spoke open wheels but changed my mind when I got the 3D data and reference photos.  

The choice to do the CHP livery is very recent as licensing was pending with CHP and few other agencies but their approval came first.  Too late to make any tooling changes to meet the release schedule. However, I did find one CHP Charger with the small hole open wheels which made me comfortable enough to go ahead with the kit as is. 

It's possible I may tool up both of the 5 spoke wheel options in the future depending how sales go.  The upper push bar lights are represented on the decal sheet, the bar itself has no molded light details, one of the compromises you have make when you don't know which agencies will give their approval.  

-Steve

CHP 02[40951].jpg

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Creative Explorer said:

Rob,

If you look closely in between the spokes, you can see the black steelie behind it. So I assume they are plastic wheelcovers.

Yeah, see that now.  Never seen these on civilian Chargers.  Must be specific to police packages. 

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

There are two wheel choices in the upcoming Charger Pursuit along with two different light bars.  The other wheel option is the Street Appearance covers that fit the small hole open wheels.  At the time of the of development of this kit (same time as the R/T) which is based on Dodges 2021 Pursuit Demo car, the information I had was the small hole open wheels were going to be used across the board on all drive train option.  Our 3D data comes from their licensing and marketing, not from engineering.  Obviously, I was disappointed that was not the case.  My first plan was to do the 5 spoke open wheels but changed my mind when I got the 3D data and reference photos.  

The choice to do the CHP livery is very recent as licensing was pending with CHP and few other agencies but their approval came first.  Too late to make any tooling changes to meet the release schedule. However, I did find one CHP Charger with the small hole open wheels which made me comfortable enough to go ahead with the kit as is. 

It's possible I may tool up both of the 5 spoke wheel options in the future depending how sales go.  The upper push bar lights are represented on the decal sheet, the bar itself has no molded light details, one of the compromises you have make when you don't know which agencies will give their approval.  

-Steve

CHP 02[40951].jpg

Thanks for sharing this info. It better helps to understand what in ends up in kits.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

4 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

It would be neat if some 3D designed aftermarket file or resin print therefrom of a 4dr body for the Chevelle.

Why....well to create this one, BTW no open trunk please, much too dangerous. 😉

RepoMan27.jpg.dae1f6ac699050ea0c39ae6e158603b5.jpg

I wouldn’t mind Harry Dean Stanton’s ‘71 Impala 4dr. sedan from the movie.  For some reason, very few of the 3D resin prints I see look good.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The AWD Hemi Pursuit lasted until 2022, it was dropped from the Civilian car after 2015 I believe. It's also my understanding that these last CHP Chargers are V-6s as that's the only way the 2023 AWD cars came as the production ended. There aren't very many of them, most of them are assigned to the Academy for Driver Training.

Most Police Chargers are V-6s in actuality, they vastly outsold the Hemi Chargers regardless as to how many wheels got power.

My understanding is also this new kit doesn't actually have the AWD added to it, so it's a RWD Hemi car with wheels that didn't come on it. CHP did use RWD Chargers in 2021, but they are equipped with the requisite RWD steelies.

2023-10-14_05-19-18.jpg.b552854dabf5ffbb06ca93be4ce4d358.jpg

Thankyou for the Charger information. This reflects what the dealer told me as well. I did build a model of our 2010 Charger RT with the AWD option from the Lindberg kit. The AWD system is hidden by the body panels under the car.  What Charger did, and maybe the Challenger as well, was to install a hard plastic type of belly pan that covered most of the front suspension and extended from side to side all the way back to the transmission. To my eye this is done for aerodynamics as much as any other reason and the 2022 Charger we have has the same setup. The present Round 2 Charger has two sets of wheels, one stock alloy and one sort of custom. I have seen a few local PD type Chargers and even some KHP cars with the OEM style alloys painted black. I'm sure there are some options that they have to choose from. 

17 hours ago, av405 said:

Or whisper in one of Joseph Osborn's ears, that there is a business opportunity ;)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The Ohio Highway Patrol Chargers I see have aluminum multi spoke wheels (or are those plastic wheel covers over the slotted steelies? )

2ea5b641bea7adba74b16b87ce83fce7.jpg

Those are wheel covers over the black wheels.  If you look closely, you can see the vent holes in the wheels.

A.J.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Do all CHP cruisers come with pushbars?

Never mind, just found this one....

52884689639_4719dfa39d_z.jpg

No the "Polar Bears" are low profile traffic and Commericial Vehicle Enforcement units, so they don't have roof lights or the big ram bar...mostly...because if you did around you can find white Chargers with the ram bar set ups as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

CHP 02[40951].jpg

Let me say I'm rivet counting to the extreme and I know it. I do appreciate you getting Round2 to do this project and will be supporting it with my hobby dollars. If a point arrives where the RWD wheels can be included this is the example of what the dress RWD wheels look like. Much like the AWD ones they're hubcaps that fit over the steelies. 

2023-10-15_01-16-09.jpg.00563d29ae329eb5553bb428cb730b23.jpg