Model Cars Magazine Forum

2021 Pierce Ascendent Tower

7 hours ago, tomsheehy said:

Quite impressive Mr. Rowley.  I'll be following along.

Mr. Sheehy!😁  Glad to hear from you. Hope all is well.  Any progress on your IH?? Or was it a Dodge?  Memory fails me!! 

Here are some updates of progress as of today.  The interior door panels have been finished and the interior tub has been painted.  Some of the detailing there is done but there's lots to go.  The "glass" can be removed for painting by sliding them out of the bottom of the door.  The windows can be left open, partially open or closed all the way.  The windshield was vacu-formed but I need some advice on how to keep the PETG clear.  It seems to haze up some and cannot be polished out.  Could it be that the buck I made is not smooth enough?  

036.JPG.7ecb1695c3283b5fd6a7f27346a04705.JPG037.JPG.60eed9320bd7eec3ac9b72730e7ede35.JPG039.JPG.52773ed8567c93fcae32ec176b9823b2.JPG041.JPG.c9563a108981ba93e71c1f300e0eebc9.JPG

Edited by Chariots of Fire
  • Like 4

Clever trick for mounting the door windows, adjustable even! What's next, window winders, LOL

They says Future's the thing for making widows disappear so it's worth a try.

I heard PetG was the best plastic but new shirt collar plastic always seemed to work out better for me, with gentle spot heating with a heat gun over a metal cylinder for a simple bend rather than vacuforming and full heat, the plastic gets too hot and starts to flow and conform to the buck's imperfections, maybe it needs a mirror finish

Very nice to see such progress, a fast pace with no sacrifice in quality! No big mistakes and do-overs like some of us!

I've used that shirt collar plastic before and you are right!  It works!  Haven't bought a new shirt in a long time.  Do they still use the plastic??😆  Here's an update on how the doors were constructed.

First the 0.016" brass sheet.  Then 0.040x0.10 strip stock around the edges.  Then 0.020x0.060 strip stock on top of that leaving a ledge inside for the clear plastic to sit on.  Last the full sheet to make up the inside panel of the door.  Holes for the door latches were opened in the brass but I had to cut away the back panel in order to use files to clean up the holes.  The plastic panels were then filled in and sanded smooth.

043.JPG.5a45a762b88bbf7932127fd44e902f71.JPG044.JPG.872b9540bb032a4915a31962b92dda15.JPG

The last photo shows the door in the clamp and the slot that the clear stock slides into from the bottom of the door.  The piece of strip stock at the bottom of the window opening is 0.040x0.100 without the edging.  The rear doors have a permanent piece of clear above the strip that runs from side to side.  The opening portion of the window ends there.

045.JPG.527c8a9ce30f519a23e884b1dd746eaa.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sergey said:

Well done, Charles! I'm impressed every time with how you make unique models from scratch.

By the way: where are those dash board panels came from? I'm asking because I have to  make the same thing for my Ironhide project.

They are a mix from various sources.  The Trumpeter kit dash was used in part as well as portions of an old resin casting of a computer keyboard.  The instrument panel in front of the driver was made from ALPS printed decals and a scratch built surround.

• Like 1

Got a bit of paint on the cab but there are a few small places that need some touchup.  I used Duplicolor #398 red and Duplicolor Standard Black over Duplicolor gray primer.  I painted the black directly over the red without any problems.  The corner at the color line needs a small amount of straightening but that may be taken care of with a separation stripe.  Not sure without looking if the actual truck has one.  The back of the cab will get a full piece of aluminum embossed foil as a covering.

046.JPG.6235a3a28880adbc45e9084d59f51b4f.JPG047.JPG.12517c0ce44c0cd5ad7f9721e95ceb85.JPG

• Like 2

Got the elves back to work with a little coaxing but I'm still not happy with some of their stuff.  The windshield pieces still bug me as to why I can't seem to get a clear vacu form of it.  It has to be the buck not being perfectly smooth as it always tends to be a bit cloudy.  The pieces are in place but are removable so I may try again.  

049.thumb.JPG.1d562ee3a8e1c24a3bb7520cc750d899.JPG

Interior continues to come along.  The doors are nearly done and only need the latches and the new glass sections.  Then I can snip off the excess pins in the hinges.

050.JPG.4c65638f840331bb4e8cc43d52efd69c.JPG

Each inside door panel is aluminum.  It will get a latch and grab handle before being completed.

051.thumb.JPG.e615fa8b80de97fd69f1c9182a27bd35.JPG

The right side has a ventilation panel that was made with a piece of sheet aluminum and a decal to represent the openings.  The real one is a series of arrow cutouts and the letters XT.  This cab is the "Arrow" that Pierce put out a short while ago.  It's no longer being made as they have moved on to other designations.

052.thumb.JPG.77579d9b6d3d761088de7f6b124ef51a.JPG

One more project to complete the steps on each side.  But the interior needs to be set in place first.  Also the wheel well surrounds need to be chromed up.  The back cab diamond plate panel is now dressed in embossed aluminum foil that was set with 2 part epoxy.

• Like 1

Suggestion for curved window, Take a template of the curve to a grocery store and check out the plastic packages in the bake goods, fruits, veggies or any other items that come in clear vacuum form or blown plastic boxes and get you curve from them. I know the examples shown have ridges but there are smooth side ones.

plasticboxes.jpg.d5d11172844cbfa8f52d924d41cec2aa.jpg

greg

8 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Suggestion for curved window, Take a template of the curve to a grocery store and check out the plastic packages in the bake goods, fruits, veggies or any other items that come in clear vacuum form or blown plastic boxes and get you curve from them. I know the examples shown have ridges but there are smooth side ones.

plasticboxes.jpg.d5d11172844cbfa8f52d924d41cec2aa.jpg

greg

Thanks for the tip, Greg.  Will check it out.  I'll take the buck.  Clerks will probably wonder what I'm doing!😁

It's loooong for sure!  Solved the windshield problem and got the chrome grill surround and headlight bezels done.  Casting the lenses now so that I can get them mounted.  I spent some time today correcting problems including the removal of the grill to reposition it more centered.  Took off the striping also.  There is an additional detail that needs to be added to the right side.  One step forward, two back for a while now but things are looking better.  Guess the elves finally got enough sleep to get them thinking straight again!😏

Glad you solved the windshield issue Charles…it would be a shame to have to buy some blueberry scones just for the packaging.😜 Seriously, it is fascinating to watch your builds come together. The amount of work you do to get the details correct and to blend all the different materials together is inspiring to say the least. I obviously miss some of the most fascinating work by not frequenting this big rig section more often. 

Hey, Peter!  Well I think I solved it.  I glued a piece of thin plastic sheet stock onto the surface of the buck.  Then I followed up with some very fine sanding and ended with Novus polishing.  I think the secret is a very smooth surface in order to get a clear copy.  There is also a small window of when the PETG is just right for forming.  Too little softening and it does not form all the way.  Too much and there is a chance it will bubble.  Also if the buck is not absolutely clean of dust or dirt, the copy will pick up every piece.

The windshield pieces have now been set and will post some photos soon.  They are not perfect but are much better than the previous ones.  Working on other parts of the cab that I want to get done first.