Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 MM-LM winner of 1933 Le mans 24 hours

The 1933 Lemans winner driven by Tazio Nuvolari and Raymond Sommer. A Mille Miglia version of the 8C adapted as a 4 seater to meet Le mans specifications hence the MM-LM denomination. Definitely the faster duo in this race yet the  win did not come easily due to unscheduled maintenance stops for brakes, radiator leaks and fuel tank leaks requiring them to regain the lead multiple times and eventually winning with a slim 9 second margin.

Built from a Fernando Pinto resin kit. The body shape was very good and smooth. The chassis is a basic one part affair and the engine rather basic but some upgrading and detailing made it pretty good in the end. I also made my own hood straps as replacement of the resin pieces supplied with the kit. Other than that it was pretty much OOB.

Unsure of the finish I could achieve I decided on a matte & race weathered look instead. Tamiya fine primer, AK and Vallejo acrylic colors, Tamiya flat clear and Vallejo washes and pigments for weathering. Overall a good first experience building a resin kit.

Alfa 8C ref5.jpeg

Alfa 33Lemans 1.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans 2.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans 3.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans 4.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans 5.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans6.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans 8.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans 9.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans 10.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans 11.jpg

Alfa 33Lemans 12.jpg

• Like 7

Pierre, without a doubt this is your finest effort at building a model car. To think this is your first attempt at a resin kit just blows my mind. If Mr. Pinto is still with us and I have no way of knowing if he is or not, I hope he can see this build and see what you did with his raw materials. I would think that he would be very impressed and happy as well to see what you did with his kit. How you follow this up with your next build is going to be very exciting to see. I can't wait to tune in to your next presentation, whatever it might be.

8 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Salut Pierre!

Wow, your mastery of surface finishing is in full display again here. The tarp and seats are spectacular of realism. Bravo!

CT

Merci Claude, I am happy with the way it came out. For this subject I like it better than the shiny new look.

7 hours ago, Mittagskind said:

Compliments Pierre. You have created a fantastic model. I'm very excited.

Thanks Hanjo. I used your work on Alfas as inspiration.

7 hours ago, Gluebomber said:

Beautiful Work, Pierre.  Pinto kits are not "shake and bake" and you did a great job on this one.

Great Job!

You bet! I almost quit on it but now happy I did not give up the fight.

7 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Fantastic work. A trophy in itself.

Thanks Donato, it came out better than expected.

6 hours ago, Hi-Po said:

Beautifully done with great attention to details and weathering.  That is a contest winner, for sure!

Thank you sir. I shared the weathering technique in the w.i.p. and it was pretty easy to do. Jasu washes and pigments applied with brushes.

5 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

Very impressive work, especially given the starting point. Beautiful!

Thanks Jason, very kind of you

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

Looks awesome!

Thanks Jim, it was a fun build...in the end.

2 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

What a great job Pierre. Your first resin experience  turned out spectacular. Can't wait to see what you turn out next.

Thanks Rich. Taking it slow with a OOB 250 GTO for my next project.... but for sure another pre-war race car in the future

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Pierre, without a doubt this is your finest effort at building a model car. To think this is your first attempt at a resin kit just blows my mind. If Mr. Pinto is still with us and I have no way of knowing if he is or not, I hope he can see this build and see what you did with his raw materials. I would think that he would be very impressed and happy as well to see what you did with his kit. How you follow this up with your next build is going to be very exciting to see. I can't wait to tune in to your next presentation, whatever it might be.

Fernando is still around pumping out new kits. I thought this would be my first and last resin build but I am now feeling much better about it. More Pinto kits in my future no doubt. He produces some kits of very interesting period race cars. You should try one.

4 minutes ago, Yeah Nah said:

Beautiful job Pierre! Weathering and finish is exceptional. I love the history and 'atmosphere' of these early race cars.

So do I Garry. Race cars from the thirties to the sixties are my favorite.

Pierre, you have outdone yourself with this wonderful model - I followed your WIP and was amazed. You've got NO reason whatsoever to be uncertain  of building resin kits (you mentioned something similar before starting this one) - you even lifted this -  certainly not so easy kit - to another level with your excellent detailing and weathering. With every model you raise the bar a bit higher. (i 've just finished another GTO and tried to make leather straps similar to yours - no chance! I don't know how you do this so well and convincing looking)

Edited by 1959scudetto

7 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Fernando is still around pumping out new kits. I thought this would be my first and last resin build but I am now feeling much better about it. More Pinto kits in my future no doubt. He produces some kits of very interesting period race cars. You should try one.

First off, this is absolutely beautiful. Your presentations are an envy of mine! As Claude mentioned, the finishes of the varying materials and surfaces are spot on. That adds so much depth to a model, and you've done it, wonderfully, here!

That said, I have been eyeing one of Fernando's MM 166 Ferraris, because I want my own "Red Barchetta"!

19 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Pierre, you have outdone yourself with this wonderful model - I followed your WIP and was amazed. You've got NO reason whatsoever to be uncertain  of building resin kits (you mentioned something similar before starting this one) - you even lifted this -  certainly not so easy kit - to another level with your excellent detailing and weathering. With every model you raise the bar a bit higher. (i 've just finished another GTO and tried to make leather straps similar to yours - no chance! I don't know how you do this so well and convincing looking)

Thank you Helmut for the constant support. I had my doubts along the way but it came out better than expected. Moving on to a Fujimi GTO!

9 hours ago, afx said:

Another impressive build from your work bench Pierre.

Thanks JC, very kind coming from a master like you.

8 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

Thanks Chris, support much appreciated

2 hours ago, Kolu said:

I would bet that this is the best interpretation of this kit ever !  

I doubt that Phillip but I am proud of the result I have achieved 

41 minutes ago, 1971Hans said:

And another model that looks like reality !
How do they do it ? Wizards !!!

Blood, sweat, tears, anxiety, tears (again), luck, luck, relief...

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

First off, this is absolutely beautiful. Your presentations are an envy of mine! As Claude mentioned, the finishes of the varying materials and surfaces are spot on. That adds so much depth to a model, and you've done it, wonderfully, here!

That said, I have been eyeing one of Fernando's MM 166 Ferraris, because I want my own "Red Barchetta"!

Ooh so we'll have another Barchetta on a bench. Go for it man, give Andy a run for his money. Detailing battle!

Pierre, the black machine behind the Chapparral looks like something I have never viewed before. Could you provide me a link to the finished photos of it so I can check it out better. I might have some questions about the wheels on it for you.