Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 MM-LM winner of 1933 Le mans 24 hours

15 hours ago, Hoffman said:

Time Capsule! It perfectly captures a moment in time, rendered so beautifully you can easily imagine the subject plucked from history, reduced in size, and placed upon your shelf to enjoy. Well done~

Thanks Tim. I think it is mostly due to the weathering. Period pictures indicated that paint was not glossy and cars were spitting a lot of oil. Reproducing that with brown washes and dark pigments has worked really good. Definitely something I will do again.

16 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Magnifique ! I wish I could be this good . Your models are museum quality. The details and surface finish are awesome. Another great build to feast our eyes on.👍👍

Merci Mario. I surprised myself with this weathering experiment. Nothing fancy, just done with brushes. I got a bit lucky there.

14 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Pierre...as a side note your model has been featured on Fernando Pinto's Facebook page.  A credit to your talents when the creator of the kit thinks its awesome too. 

Thanks Rich. I sent Fernando the pictures with a thank you note for producing pre-war race car kits. His posting on his facebook page is icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, PhilX said:

A perfect built in every way ... 😍

Thank you Philippe, a first pre-war race car build for me. I very much enjoyed it.

On 11/7/2023 at 9:18 AM, MarkJ said:

Pierre, glad you communicated with Mr. Pinto. I'm sure he was very happy to see what you accomplished with his very raw materials. Also, will probably help him sell more kits.

Thanks Mark, the small volume producers (resin cast, 3D print, detailing components) are bringing the bulk of the new stuff to the hobby so it is critical that we promote their amazing work.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:43 AM, papajohn97 said:

Magnificent model Pierre! It’s like you took some of the best techniques used on weathered AFV scale models and applied them to a hard driven race car. Build and post more like this please! 

Thanks John. I don't have an airbrush so I could only use the techniques doable with a brush but it was enough to get finishes that feel fairly realistic. I will definitely try this again someday.

On 11/10/2023 at 4:32 PM, echo said:

Superb model skills on display with this kit, very realistic weathering, everything is spot on !  You should be very proud of your accomplishment. 

Thank you Ed. I am very happy with this weathering experiment.

On 11/12/2023 at 7:47 AM, PappyD340 said:

Excellent build!!

Thanks Larry

On 11/13/2023 at 2:24 AM, Dave B said:

Ah Pierre, how good does that look!!

What more can I say, great build.

Dave B

Thanks Dave, happy to have broken the ice on building a resin kit

19 hours ago, slusher said:

Outstanding!!

Thank you Carl.

On 11/15/2023 at 3:39 PM, 1959scudetto said:

The icing on the cake is the figure of Tazio Nuvolari standing beside his race car in his racing suit - marvellous!

Got this from JPGmodels and it was pricey but good quality. I also have a Fangio in driving position that I think is even better.

On 11/16/2023 at 11:23 AM, Gramps46 said:

You nailed the look perfectly of this famous Alfa icon.  Congratulations on working through the challenges and being recognized by Fernando.

Thank you Gary. Nice to see you back online. Your help was invaluable when I was trying to figure out the colors this car should be. Thanks again.

On 11/16/2023 at 11:58 AM, Phildaupho said:

I love the weathered after race look and the wrinkles in the tonneau cover. Fabulous model.

Thanks Phil. Fun but challenging. Currently working on something easier but for sure another Pinto kit in the future.

• 2 months later...

What an amazing replica Pierre! I heartily agree with the previous comments, this is an amazing build that I return to for the visuals and conversations. Combined with my recent read of Brock Yates’ description of the era in his Ferrari bio, has made it all exciting! 

Cheers Misha 

11 hours ago, Misha said:

What an amazing replica Pierre! I heartily agree with the previous comments, this is an amazing build that I return to for the visuals and conversations. Combined with my recent read of Brock Yates’ description of the era in his Ferrari bio, has made it all exciting! 

Cheers Misha 

Thank you Misha. The kit needed a lot of finessing and deciding to go to a matte finish + race weathering has given it a nice period feel. Definitely a technique I will want to try again.