Model Cars Magazine Forum

'48 Chevy: reproportioned and detailed from the old Galaxie kit

traditional

I'm just finishing this one as a stock detailed '48 Chevy sedan delivery after previously making a pre-war version a few weeks ago from the same Galaxie post-war kit.
Poseable steering has been added and all the window proportions are now adjusted as well as the SD side indent and front fender wheel openings. The three doors have been cut open and hinged, including making the fade-away panels on the doors swing inward as they should . The front and rear window gaskets have been formed in black wire and the vent windows formed in plated wire. The cargo interior is modified to include the spare wheel access and the Standard sedan delivery seats have been formed from Renshape. I chose the only '48 Chevy non metallic paint colour...done in my usual basecoat/clearcoat.
Galaxie made a  nicely done chassis and the 'stovebolt' six motor has now been detailed with plug wires as well as fuel and vacuum lines. The under-floor now includes the sedan delivery spare wheel well shape instead of the kit's supplied sedan floor which used a fuel tank in the same spot. The front bumper has been shorn of all the added accessory bling and replated with Molotow.

48 sd done e small.jpg

48 sd done k small.jpg

48 Chevy sd b small.jpg

48 Chevy sd d small.jpg

48 Chevy sd e small.jpg

48 chevy sd j small.jpg

48 chevy sd l small.jpg

48 chevy sd n small.jpg

48 chevy sd q small.jpg

48 chevy sd s small.jpg

48 chevy sd t small.jpg

48 chevy sd u small.jpg

48 chevy sd v small.jpg

48 chevy sd w small.jpg

48 chevy sd x small.jpg

48 sd done a small.jpg

48 sd done c small.jpg

48 sd done i small.jpg

48 sd done b small.jpg

48 sd done l small.jpg

Finished '48 (postwar version) displayed alongside my previous '41 (prewar version) detailed and kitbashed from the same Galaxie kit

48 sd done m.jpg

48 sd done d small.jpg

48 sd done g small.jpg

Edited by traditional
  • Like 10

Showing pictures of the modifications to the basic kit helps to fully appreciate everything you have done. The paint color and finish are smoother than anything GM has produced. Great attention to details everywhere you look on this build. 

Man! You really made a good kit an excellent kit by fixing all the little things that are out of proportion with the Galaxie kit. I’ve had a built Sedan Delivery for 25+ years and my family had several 46-48 Chevys so I can tell from experience your build is way more accurate! Really nice attention to detail!

Are there build pics of the 41 somewhere? I’d like to see more of it.

Edited by Dan Hay

Superb job on your '48 sedan delivery Cliff! I was surprised to see it so soon after seeing your '41. I'm amazed you came up with reference for the spare tire well, and I like how you were able to adjust the shapes of the windows to make them look like the real car. I'm going to examine the photos closely because I'd like to attempt something similar (maybe!) with my Galaxie kit. I also appreciate that you made that subtle (but important) recontouring of the front wheel openings with the little flat spot at the top. I didn't notice it was incorrect on the kit until now. This looks like an excellent kit that has responded very nicely to your improvements, like the opening doors for instance. 

As always, your colour choices and finishes are spot on, and I love those white walls too. It's a commercial vehicle but it has a lot of class.