Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 Cannonball Run Restomods Build Thread

White Rabbit

I’ve got a 67 Camaro  I built years ago that I’ve never been happy with. My plan is to pull it apart give it a purple bath and rebuild the whole car with some modern upgrades. As soon as I gather all the modern bits I’ll post a picture of what I’ll be starting with. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Marked my chassis for the necessary cuts and realized that there won't be a whole lot left of the floorpan afterwards.
Adding a pic of my "junkyard" engine. Checked the compression and oil pressure and all looks good. Six speed tranny came with it but will necessitate cutting the tranny tunnel out.
On to the cutting!

IMG_20240101_100727619.jpg

IMG_20240101_094314094.jpg

IMG_20231229_165440706.jpg

I was going back and forth thinking about using this kit when you jumped in.  After looking at the frame I was glad you made up my mind for me.  I was not looking forward to the molded in detail removal.  

Will definitely be following your progress. Can't wait to see what you do.

1 hour ago, Camaro lover said:

My plan is to pull it apart give it a purple bath and rebuild the whole car with some modern upgrades.

So literally Restomodding an old model build. Awesome Idea! I recommended the Rebuilders theme for the CBR so I'm interested is seeing what you do. 

It will be a couple of days before I can go through my kit pile, but I have a couple of ideas and should have an entry by the end of the week. It says production engines, I may have missed it, but do they need to be from the same manufacturer? Say a 2JZ, Hellcat, or LS transplant into a different brand?

Count me in with a smooth riding, all powerful land yacht 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz.  It is probably too early for livery, but I am toying with something along the lines of a John Player Special scheme.

Start a.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldcarfan said:

It will be a couple of days before I can go through my kit pile, but I have a couple of ideas and should have an entry by the end of the week. It says production engines, I may have missed it, but do they need to be from the same manufacturer? Say a 2JZ, Hellcat, or LS transplant into a different brand?

The engine choice is up to you. As the guidelines state, the engine would ideally be from the same manufacturer, but it's not obligatory. 

Posted (edited)

Updated Entry List:

1. 1990 Ford Mustang (Fat Brian)
  2. 1974 Plymouth GTX (Lunajammer)
  3. VW Golf MK2 (stitchdup)
  4. 1975 AMC Gremlin (Tim08)
  5. Nissan 240ZG (Spottedlaurel)
  6. 1957 Ford Fairlane (MeatMan)
  7. 1965 Buick Riveira (Keef)
  8. 1990 Ford Mustang LX (53gmc)
  9. 1967 Pontiac GTO (Pat Minarick)
  10. 1966 Ford Mustang (beans) pending
  11. 1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Disconovaman)
  12. 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (Westrods)
  13. 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle Wagon (atomicholiday)
  14. 1983 Oldsmobile 442 (Can-Con)
  15. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro (Camaro lover) pending
  16. 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (Kermn8r)
Edited by White Rabbit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, White Rabbit said:

Updated Entry List:

15. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro (Camaro lover) pending

Can. A 70 Super Bee  🐝 Pro street be used?  Still trying to decide if I want to enter and what to enter?

• Like 4

Got the Chevelle washed and ready for clean up this morning.  That may be as far as I get until Thursday.  Next few days will be busy.  Tomorrow we’re taking my daughter to the airport.  Back to school.  I miss her already and she isn’t even gone yet.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, slusher said:

Can. A 70 Super Bee  🐝 Pro street be used?  Still trying to decide if I want to enter and what to enter?

The '70 Super Bee itself is within this year's theme. However, the Pro Street part is going to fall into the extreme performance realm, which would not be part of the Restomods theme. 

As for the kit, it depends on the modifications made; that is, if the chassis is tubbed or has a bespoke race chassis, then that would not be permissible. 

Some great progress already being made!

Mine has got no further than planning in my head (or daydreaming, as it might more accurately be known) and rummaging through the box. However I'm determined not to start anything new untiI get one other WIP off my bench.

Been looking at a couple of fantastic builds of the 240ZG here on MCM - the Tamiya kit I've chosen really deserves to be done properly, with some detailing that's a step or two beyond what I've done before.

I probably wouldn't have thought about going so far if I hadn't entered this group build, in the same way that I would never have built my previous couple of CBR competitors otherwise. It'll be good to stretch myself a little bit and go slightly outside of my normal comfort zone.

19 hours ago, kermn8r said:

Count me in with a smooth riding, all powerful land yacht 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz.  It is probably too early for livery, but I am toying with something along the lines of a John Player Special scheme.

Start a.jpg

The JPS scheme would look great on that cadi! Never watched allot of F1 but loved the JPS cars ever since I was kid.

The wheel faerie paid me a visit today and left me some options to choose from, 18" Ponies or 20" 2000s stock style. I'm leaning toward the 2000s wheels, the Ponies have a bit too much tire but would be perfect on a 1/24 kit.

20240102_232148.jpg.6042bade1c2b2755647e5ec60d5bb713.jpg20240102_232034.jpg.71c38178005448e629a5b385acaff425.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, White Rabbit said:

The '70 Super Bee itself is within this year's theme. However, the Pro Street part is going to fall into the extreme performance realm, which would not be part of the Restomods theme. 

As for the kit, it depends on the modifications made; that is, if the chassis is tubbed or has a bespoke race chassis, then that would not be permissible. 

What years of cars allowed sir, would help me make a choice?

10 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The wheel faerie paid me a visit today and left me some options to choose from, 18" Ponies or 20" 2000s stock style. I'm leaning toward the 2000s wheels, the Ponies have a bit too much tire but would be perfect on a 1/24 kit.

I agree on the 20"s.  

I don't get why aftermarket wheels always seem to be listed in 1/24 scale.  When you get down to wheel and tire sizes the difference in scale is noticeable.  Actual tire size seems to be an afterthought.  But I'm just grumping...

Still like the 20"s. 

I think I've found my starter kit, this Monogram 1997 Ford Expedition. If I can find either the Revell Lightning kit or one of their 1997 F150 kits, I plan to put the Expedition body on that chassis and go crazy. You can see by the price tags that I've had this kit a long time. It's been up in my in-laws' barn attic for a very long time. I need to go back this weekend and see if I can find my other F150 kits.

I'm thinking maybe turning it into an SUV Lightning maybe with modern Coyote power if that fits the guidelines.

aaaaFordExp.jpg

• Like 3

Updated Entry List:

15. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro (Camaro lover) pending
  17. 1997 Ford Expedition (oldcarfan)