Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Rambler Glue Bomb Rebuild

mchook

I've been working on this old glue bomb of a 69 Scrambler. It had 3 layers of paint (brushed on) and the thing is so brittle it keeps breaking apart. I'm using an AMT Pro street 66 Nova chassis. I had to lengthen the frame a little to get the wheelbase right. I need to figure out an engine for it, I really don't want to use the Nova engine. Anyway, this is what I have so far.

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_15941.JPG

• Like 5

The weather sucks lately and I can't paint, so I started working on the part I hate doing, the interior. I'm trying to push myself to do more than just weathered models so I'm going to try & do a nice interior & paint on this one. I'm using both old & new parts with some scratch building. This is what I've done so far, not much but it's a start.

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

• Like 7

Good looking start on the 69 Rambler glue bomb.  That chassis out of the 66 Pro Street Nova fits pretty nice.  I have that same chassis set up for my 66 Mustang Pro Street build.    

On 1/9/2024 at 10:10 PM, Rattlecan Dan said:

Stay after it! Looks like it's gonna be a really nice unique build.

On 1/10/2024 at 12:56 AM, slusher said:

Always good to see you working an a build Mark!  Nice work you have going on the door panels…

On 1/10/2024 at 3:20 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

There is a lot of satisfaction to be had from renovating a badly built kit. Progress looks good on this.

On 1/10/2024 at 6:47 AM, dragcarz said:

Looking good Mark, I love saving old plastic. This is gonna be good. I might have a spare AMC motor if your interested.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:35 AM, Zippi said:

Good looking start on the 69 Rambler glue bomb.  That chassis out of the 66 Pro Street Nova fits pretty nice.  I have that same chassis set up for my 66 Mustang Pro Street build.    

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and compliments. I haven't had much time to do anything more because I've been trying to get things in order around here. I'm going to have surgery on my back on Wednesday, so I'll be out of commission for a while. The good thing is I'll be home for a couple weeks and I should be able to work on this then.

• 2 weeks later...

Between the weather and not feeling up to sitting at the bench too long I haven't gotten too much done. Some primer, filling & sanding. I have to make the front & rear dash deeper too. But it's something.

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

• Like 5

On 1/21/2024 at 8:16 PM, Oldriginal86 said:

The engine out of the Monogram Jeep CJ7 is a small block AMC. Could be passed off as a 401.

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with the engine out of the Matador kit if I can find one.

On 1/22/2024 at 3:16 AM, kpnuts said:

That's a great start on a restotation

Thanks Ken.

On 1/22/2024 at 9:53 AM, Steve H said:

Hi Mark, really like this build so far. The stance is perfect. Looking forward to seeing what you do for an engine. 

Steve

Thanks Steve. I want to go with the engine out of the Matador kit and try to make it something like Roger Sitzes' Shirley Shahan's Hornet engine. 

17 hours ago, slusher said:

Are you building a pro street Rambler?

I guess that's the way it's heading, we'll see.

3 hours ago, dust collectors said:

For someone who hates doing interiors you're pretty good at making them look good. This is a cool build and I look forward to following along. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Jeff, I'm trying.

Cool
But the Jo-Han Rambler is in fact a 1966, not 1969, they just used the 1966 body they allready had when they did the Hurst Rambler S/C wich would have been a 1969 and did not upgrade it at all, they are very similar but the rear panel and tail lights on the 1969 are different.

14 hours ago, Force said:

Cool
But the Jo-Han Rambler is in fact a 1966, not 1969, they just used the 1966 body they allready had when they did the Hurst Rambler S/C wich would have been a 1969 and did not upgrade it at all, they are very similar but the rear panel and tail lights on the 1969 are different.

Thanks Håkan, I had heard that the kit was wrong but that's ok, it's not going to be anything accurate anyway. I'll be lucky if it's shelf worthy by the time I'm done with it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Looking great Mark, it’s coming along nicely! Great scratch building! 

Thanks Roger, it's slow going but I'm getting there.

5 hours ago, Moparman18064 said:

Love it. It reminds me of when I used to sell parts at Carlisle. I had a 67 440 block I sold to a guy, when he picked it up, he put it in the trunk of a really nice red Rambler’s trunk( was powered by a 360 magnum)

Thanks Rich, great story.  From the late 70s-early 90s we would spend a week selling at Fall Carlisle. The good old days.

Tell me about it, it is slow going, LOL!   I’ve put years into a couple of my projects but it’s always worth it. It’s kind of funny, but when it’s finished it doesn’t look like you spent so much time building it. I guess when you do it well it appears like the kit was made that way. No one recognizes the work and effort it took to make that one of a kind piece of art work. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

I worked on hood & front end a little and got the hood to at least fit. The front valance still needs work but it's getting there. I never liked sanding but I'm really beginning to hate it.🤬

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

• Like 1