Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spilling Plastruct Liquid Cement: terrible bottle design!

44 minutes ago, peteski said:

Many of you probably don't remember inkwells in your school desks.  I do (and the mess we used to make back in the 1st grade).  Based on that idea, just drill a hole in your workbench to hold the glue bottle.  Unless you flip the bench over, there is no chance of spilling the glue! :D

Nice idea🤔…but I kinda like to have my glue bottle close to where I’m working. I don’t want to dip my brush or glue looper and have to transfer it a foot and a half over to where the model is.

14 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Nice idea🤔…but I kinda like to have my glue bottle close to where I’m working. I don’t want to dip my brush or glue looper and have to transfer it a foot and a half over to where the model is.

That's where the giant trained turtle comes in...

Great solution to a very common problem! Back in the 80s(!) I was spilling my liquid adhesive left and right. I finally grabbed one of my mom's plastic margarine butter dishes (anybody old enough like me to remember those? lol) turned it upside down, cut a round hole in it slightly smaller than my glue bottle, then shoved the bottle down into it. Voila...spill proof! 😃 Any old small round plastic container will do, as many people here have mentioned. I also added a small hole to the top to hold my glue brush, and I no longer take it out and replace the old bottle with a new bottle. I just pour new adhesive into the old bottle when it gets low while it stays in it's holder: 👍image.png.db3834c2d64f087a93421a9966b33b37.png

20240116_132756.png

Edited by Ferbz
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I think part of this comes straight from Plastruct too.

That is a lousy, but cheap bottle they've been using for many years. (since they first started selling the product?) It is a very old bottle design, but inertia means they have never changed bottles suppliers or shapes. So, we have to adapt to them....

I've since moved to other cements and have left Plastruct behind.

I use tamiya glues and have been lucky to never have knocked the bottle over. But my bottle of SOLVASET decal setting solution is a whole different story! Ended up putting that in a old spray paint cap.

You know, I've knocked over far more paint bottles, thinner jars, wine glasses, beer bottles, milk jugs, gas cans, etc, etc, etc, than I've ever spilled glue bottles.

If I spent all of my time trying to devise "spill proof" solutions for everything that I've ever dumped at one time or another, that's all that I'd be doing.

Not quite sure why we have to always go through such contortions for solutions for every simple little problem.

Must be something in our modeling DNA, but it sure begins to look like a whole lot of silliness after a while.

Steve

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 1:15 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

You know, I've knocked over far more paint bottles, thinner jars, wine glasses, beer bottles, milk jugs, gas cans, etc, etc, etc, than I've ever spilled glue bottles.

If I spent all of my time trying to devise "spill proof" solutions for everything that I've ever dumped at one time or another, that's all that I'd be doing.

Not quite sure why we have to always go through such contortions for solutions for every simple little problem.

Must be something in our modeling DNA, but it sure begins to look like a whole lot of silliness after a while.

Steve

Yup. There's some truth. A little common sense usually solves these problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use thee different types of liquid glue.  What I have to done prevent knocking over the tall glue bottles of Plastruct Plastiweld, Plast-i-weld by Flex File, and MEK Substitute is to rubber band the three tall glass bottles together to form a triangle shape. Haven't had a problem with knocking this over for decades back to the old Tenerex days.

A.J.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 1:33 PM, maxwell48098 said:

I use thee different types of liquid glue.  What I have to done prevent knocking over the tall glue bottles of Plastruct Plastiweld, Plast-i-weld by Flex File, and MEK Substitute is to rubber band the three tall glass bottles together to form a triangle shape. Haven't had a problem with knocking this over for decades back to the old Tenerex days.

A.J.

Great Idea, A.J.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

TANKRAFT sells this Glue Base Holder For Modeling Cements. Rube Goldbergesque technical knowledge not required to construct or operate.

I've had days when I could knock that over and not even know it until everything on the bench had melted and whatever liquid gloo remained started dripping on my leg...

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, slusher said:

I knocked over a full bottle of Loctite once.  What a mess. Now it sits in an orange juice all the time""

Thanks for the chuckle Carl!  But if you tip over the orange juice container, you will have an even bigger mess. Orange juice *AND* Loctite mix! :D